Envelope Controller???

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Envelope Controller???

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:24 am

Yesterday night tweeking Guitar Rig 2 I've done a nice preset...I'm very interested to realize a real one...so my question is:
Does exist an Envelope controller unit able to controll my effects using the expression pedal imput of these?

I can't add more because my preset is a military secret!! ::)
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Envelope Controller???

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:42 am

usually an envelope controller controls a stage of a second effect by means of voltage changes...that is it can be used to adjust the depth of a phaser by varying the strength of your playing. strum harder and it phases deeper, strum softly and it stays shallow.

you can use an expression pedal with some effects, but that is a manual operation that is different from the envelope effect. my a/da flanger allows for that. the effect can be controlled by envelope or pedal, but not both, the pedal bypasses the envelope.

also, the envelope must be tied to the second effect, wether it is a filter, phaser or flanger...if it's analog it will be in the same box...an analog envelope filter only controls the filter, nothing else. in a digital unit you can program an envelope to control an aspect of the following effect, such as lfo speed or depth on a phaser.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:50 am

fuzzjunkie wrote: usually an envelope controller controls a stage of a second effect by means of voltage changes...that is it can be used to adjust the depth of a phaser by varying the strength of your playing. strum harder and it phases deeper, strum softly and it stays shallow.

you can use an expression pedal with some effects, but that is a manual operation that is different from the envelope effect. my a/da flanger allows for that. the effect can be controlled by envelope or pedal, but not both, the pedal bypasses the envelope.

also, the envelope must be tied to the second effect, wether it is a filter, phaser or flanger...if it's analog it will be in the same box...an analog envelope filter only controls the filter, nothing else. in a digital unit you can program an envelope to control an aspect of the following effect, such as lfo speed or depth on a phaser.
Ok! so doesn't exist an external Envelope that use the strenghtness of my guitar signal to controll another device that as an expression pedal imput, right? But  will be possible to built one? I'm sorry but I'm a very newbie with english.. :( I hope you understand what I want to know..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:28 pm

i don't think any commercially available device exists. craig anderton has a book on building effects that has an envelope controlled follower that can be hooked up to various other devices in the book. the expression pedal input does use a voltage variance to change the effect, but i don't know if the impedence (matching the voltage levels) would be the same for an external envelope unit to work. it might be possible, you would need stereo plugs and cable, but i've always seen them wired directly...i suppose it worth a try...hope that translates to italian.

if you have an expression pedal it would be much easier to use that. i use expression pedals with several effects...a/da final phase, a/da flanger, roger mayer voodoo vibe, and lovetone ringstinger...i don't think the evelope controller would be a greater benefit...it can be a more subtle effect, but i prefer wild.

http://www.paia.com/epfm.htm

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:58 am

fuzzjunkie wrote: i don't think any commercially available device exists. craig anderton has a book on building effects that has an envelope controlled follower that can be hooked up to various other devices in the book. the expression pedal input does use a voltage variance to change the effect, but i don't know if the impedence (matching the voltage levels) would be the same for an external envelope unit to work. it might be possible, you would need stereo plugs and cable, but i've always seen them wired directly...i suppose it worth a try...hope that translates to italian.

if you have an expression pedal it would be much easier to use that. i use expression pedals with several effects...a/da final phase, a/da flanger, roger mayer voodoo vibe, and lovetone ringstinger...i don't think the evelope controller would be a greater benefit...it can be a more subtle effect, but i prefer wild.

http://www.paia.com/epfm.htm
Thanks Fuzzjunkie...I think that the book you suugest to me is in english only...I hope to find it in italy...

P.S. I know that exp pedals are very funny but my idea is to control the whammy patch of  my zoom  pedalboard..in order to create pitch shifting with my picking..if you're interested I could send to you the patch for guitar rig 2 so you can understand what I mean and how it's "pere-ubuy " (yes, it's a neologism!).. ;)

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:02 pm

is it a zoom multi effects unit? i have a roland gp-16 that has an envelope follower that can be patched in to control the ammount of pitch shift...i use it as a slight de-tune effect similar to chorus...i either use it to increase the depth of the pitch shift or increase the mix of effect to dry.