my big muff is going under the knife!

Everyone needs a stompbox.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

my big muff is going under the knife!

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:51 am

... or soldering iron to be more precise. i´ve had it with the lack of volume from the damn thing so now i´m going to just go crazy on it. i found a site with a bunch of simple mods, and i´m going to try a few of them and see if i can´t get this pedal to perform the way i want it to.

i´ll see if i can record some before/after soundsamples.

wish me luck, and stay tuned...

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Re: my big muff is going under the knife!

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:09 pm

good luck and.. have fun  :)

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:07 am

ok, i didn´t get the chance to record any before clips, and the after clips will probably have to wait a few weeks, i don´t have a working sound card right now, BUT:

i tried the mod that was supposed to produce the most drastic volume increase; removing all the diodes. it rocks!!! the sound is more fuzzy and a lot louder. there´s not as much sustain, you have to set the sustain knob pretty high to get the normal muff saturation, but since it can get A LOT louder you can get plenty of sustain by pushing the amp.

i´m going to keep it like this for a week or so and try it on all my amps (so far i´ve only tried it on my 15w squier at home) and then i´m going to try combining this mod with the "creamy dreamer".

BTW, messing with your pedals is great fun! ;D
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:23 am

mynameisjonas wrote: ok, i didn´t get the chance to record any before clips, and the after clips will probably have to wait a few weeks, i don´t have a working sound card right now, BUT:

i tried the mod that was supposed to produce the most drastic volume increase; removing all the diodes. it rocks!!! the sound is more fuzzy and a lot louder. there´s not as much sustain, you have to set the sustain knob pretty high to get the normal muff saturation, but since it can get A LOT louder you can get plenty of sustain by pushing the amp.

i´m going to keep it like this for a week or so and try it on all my amps (so far i´ve only tried it on my 15w squier at home) and then i´m going to try combining this mod with the "creamy dreamer".

your was the american reissue BM, right?

BTW, messing with your pedals is great fun! ;D
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:15 am

Superfuzz wrote:
your was the american reissue BM, right?
yes, but all the mods i found work on russian big muffs too. check it out: Big Muff Pi Mods
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:38 pm

as a step in the transformation of my big muff i decided it needed a new look and more importantly, a smaller footprint. so here it is:
the logo is just a photo-chop so far...
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:46 pm

Oh man, that looks cool!  :-*
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:41 pm

So I was gonna do the Creamy Dreamer Mod to mine, and I took it all apart. Then I thought, "Why in the fuck would I want to sound like Smashing Pumkins?" So I painted the case Blue and Hand lettered everything and put it back together. Has anyone done the Creamy Dreamer mod, what does it sound like, did it cause your hair to fall out and ego to spiral out of control causing a great band to flush itself down the tube only to reunite and realize that your still a douche and that you still suck so now your only choice is to get over yourself and get a new pedal?
I guess I will have to wait and see what happens to Jonas.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:27 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  That's hilarious because it's true!
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:02 am

Now we PRETEND sound samples!!
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:34 am

i LOVE that! ;D

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:42 am

One thing I have considered doing is wiring the Creamy dreamer mod through a 3pdt stomp switch so I could turn it on or off. Since it's just 3 jumpers instead of resistors, all you would have to do is wire one lead from one side of the resistor to one side of the switch and then the other side of the resistor to the middle pole of the switch. So when the switch was on the Creamy Dreamer would work, and off, it would go back to normal. Another thing I thought of doing was the exact same thing just with 3 little toggle switches, then you could flip the switches around  to get a little different sound. Another option would be to do both, have a stomp switch with three toggles.
Thanks for starting this thread Jonas. I was looking for another project but I am poor now, and modding my existing pedals is something I hadn't thought of in a while. I have already modded the crap out of my Wah pedal.
http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

Edit: I just did the Feedback loop mod and put it through a pushbutton switch. What it does is turn the sustain to MAX when engaged, so if your not playing anything it screams like a banshee (Totally awesome by the way) and when you are playing it boosts the sustain to 11. Totally usefull mod.
Last edited by pullover on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:46 am

pullover wrote: Has anyone done the Creamy Dreamer mod, what does it sound like, did it cause your hair to fall out and ego to spiral out of control causing a great band to flush itself down the tube only to reunite and realize that your still a douche and that you still suck so now your only choice is to get over yourself and get a new pedal?
I guess I will have to wait and see what happens to Jonas.

;D

i tried it (without the diodes) and it didn´t sound too good. i quickly put the resistors back before any sign of hair loss, or should i say increased hair loss. ;)
i really like the no-diodes sound, so i think i´m going to stick with it.
but the feedback mod seems like a lot of fun. i thought i´d do what you did, but add a photocell as well, so i could play it like a theremin with my foot.

oh, and some great news; my friend just gave me his green russian muff, as a way of numbing his guilty conscience for having borrowed my bass for the last three years :D
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:35 am

with the russian muff rehoused and equipped with true bypass, they will make a lovely couple:
;D

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:53 am

Nice touch turning the Russian Muff into the MiG Murph!  Brilliant as usual, Jonas!
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance