Robert Smith tone

Everyone needs a stompbox.
The_Grinch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Robert Smith tone

Post by The_Grinch » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 am

Hello...

A little while back I started a thread regarding this very same topic over in the modifications forum and
received great advice which has practically gotten me to where I want to be in terms of tone however I
thought it would be a good idea to show what I mean with a couple of samples of live Cure performances
from the early 80's where the guitar can be heard quite clearly:

Accuracy: http://kiwi6.com/file/q6gq56j98q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other Voices: http://kiwi6.com/file/x710m1k788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a great (imo) percussive quality to the guitar and I think a compressor pedal might have
something to do with it.
I was hoping to hear if anyone has stumbled upon this kind of sound themselves or if they've heard it
elsewhere.

Pre-emptive thanks

Domm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Robert Smith tone

Post by Domm » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:52 am

boss pedals were his standard for a long time

horizontalmode
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by horizontalmode » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:38 am

It could quite possibly be the solid state amp he was using back then to get that percussive quality that you are seeking.
Thoughts are no longer personal....

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:04 am

I don't think he ever used a compressor pedal. Any compression would be coming from the board. He switched from Roland jazz chorus amps to the peavey musician amps around '81-82. He used the musician heads live for many years and still uses it for Bass VI in the studio.

Kestrel-
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kestrel- » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:49 pm

While it doesn't relate too much with The Cure's early 80's sound, here's an interview with Robert from the Bloodflowers-era in which he discusses some of his gear, including how he gets his 6-string bass sound.

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rdens.html

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Kestrel- wrote:While it doesn't relate too much with The Cure's early 80's sound, here's an interview with Robert from the Bloodflowers-era in which he discusses some of his gear, including how he gets his 6-string bass sound.

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rdens.html

if you went back and edited your post, the link got destroyed. I don't know why but that happens... repost it if you can.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:39 pm

I get relatively close to his early sound in the Cure with my Jaguar through a Sunn 112 combo and an Electric Mistress. Not spot on but close enough for me.
Last edited by DrOctagon on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Not that it was the only ingredient to his tone, but I have an '84 Boss Flanger (and used to have a chorus from the same year) which got me pretty far towards his tone. A Bass VI would be great but my Jaguar and Jazzmaster along with the Flanger and a little delay work great.

Kestrel-
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kestrel- » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Kestrel- wrote:While it doesn't relate too much with The Cure's early 80's sound, here's an interview with Robert from the Bloodflowers-era in which he discusses some of his gear, including how he gets his 6-string bass sound.

if you went back and edited your post, the link got destroyed. I don't know why but that happens... repost it if you can.
Let's try this again

Link to the Robert Smith interview:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press ... rdens.html

The_Grinch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by The_Grinch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:14 am

Kestrel- wrote:Let's try this again

Link to the Robert Smith interview:

Really great interview, the part regarding amp settings was particularly useful.
OffYourFace wrote:I don't think he ever used a compressor pedal. Any compression would be coming from the board. He switched from Roland jazz chorus amps to the peavey musician amps around '81-82. He used the musician heads live for many years and still uses it for Bass VI in the studio.
Well I was also skeptical but according to http://impressionofsounds.com/equipment2b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he used a storm compressor in 80-81' and having just acquired a cheap behringer dc9 I have to say it helps quite a bit in terms of punch and clarity.
Also I actually have a JC-120 although at the moment there is a problem with the chorus effect (ie one of the speakers) shutting off when the volume goes below a certain point.

I'm about as close as I can be at present but once the jazz chorus is fixed and I've gotten a decent (storm/coron/whatever) compressor I think I'll be there.

chase
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chase » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:52 am

[never mind, Kestrel beat me to it - I should have reloaded the page!]

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:26 am

The_Grinch wrote:
Well I was also skeptical but according to http://impressionofsounds.com/equipment2b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he used a storm compressor in 80-81' and having just acquired a cheap behringer dc9 I have to say it helps quite a bit in terms of punch and clarity.
Also I actually have a JC-120 although at the moment there is a problem with the chorus effect (ie one of the speakers) shutting off when the volume goes below a certain point.

I'm about as close as I can be at present but once the jazz chorus is fixed and I've gotten a decent (storm/coron/whatever) compressor I think I'll be there.
No compressor pedal, you're hearing the compression on the recording. The tone is quite simple, a vintage JC-160(quite different to the 120 in tone) an early Jazzmaster and the occasional MXR Flanger...(you could add the Top20 pickup in there, although he said it was just a 'teenage angst' thing rather than an essential mod). They also used the old Yellow MXR distortion pedals around that time.

BTW that is not a fault, all early JC's do that..(as does RS's) it's part of the design to reduce noise.

The_Grinch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by The_Grinch » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:48 am

eggwheat wrote:No compressor pedal
How can you be sure of this? Not to discredit your experience/judgement but the website I linked to has been reliable and consistent with photographs of the time. It also seems odd that they would specify it as a storm pedal if they were only speculating, rather than just any compressor, although it could have been misidentified.
eggwheat wrote:BTW that is not a fault, all early JC's do that..(as does RS's) it's part of the design to reduce noise.
Thanks for informing me of that, it is somewhat a relief however I forgot to mention that the effect controls don't seem to function either (That's not a part of the 85's design as well is it? :P).

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:23 am

The_Grinch wrote:
eggwheat wrote:No compressor pedal
How can you be sure of this? Not to discredit your experience/judgement but the website I linked to has been reliable and consistent with photographs of the time. It also seems odd that they would specify it as a storm pedal if they were only speculating, rather than just any compressor, although it could have been misidentified.
eggwheat wrote:BTW that is not a fault, all early JC's do that..(as does RS's) it's part of the design to reduce noise.
Thanks for informing me of that, it is somewhat a relief however I forgot to mention that the effect controls don't seem to function either (That's not a part of the 85's design as well is it? ).

Thats correct, the controls only function in vibrato mode. I believe the mention of a Storm pedal comes from a very old musician magazine. Have you seen an actual picture? I mean that site makes no mention of the MXR distortion pedals..but there are clear photos from the time of them in use.

The_Grinch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by The_Grinch » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:58 am

eggwheat wrote:Thats correct, the controls only function in vibrato mode.

Really, the depth and rate knobs are only used for the vibrato? I've learnt quite a lot recently.
eggwheat wrote:I believe the mention of a Storm pedal comes from a very old musician magazine. Have you seen an actual picture? I mean that site makes no mention of the MXR distortion pedals..but there are clear photos from the time of them in use.
No I haven't seen a picture and that's the main problem with the website in that they don't provide evidence, apparently the information comes from someone named Lina?
As for the MXR distortion I believe this is the only image I have seen of it which is from 83'. I believe storm essentially copied many MXR pedals though right?

http://www.myspace.com/noko440/photos/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 9507409%7D

Edit: Woops, that ^ isn't a distortion pedal I think there is a mention of storm pedals being used in one or two interviews but they look almost identical the mxr ones so it's difficult to tell.
http://picturesofyou.us/photos/80-82/p- ... ive-14.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <-- Probably Simon's pedalboard, I can't quite tell what's on it.