BYOC Large Beaver review

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: BYOC Large Beaver review

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:15 am

Not for shocking someone but 2N2222s are good only for their odd design...
To be honest I've switched back to 2N5088s (900 hfe) now, as they are the closest to the old 2N5133s  in terms of hfe(300-1100) .
BTW the guy at the shop is not so way off the track..in the muff the hfe of transistors isn't so foundamental since  the clipping stages are pushed by another transistor before..
So after trying several shades of transistor I can say:
Going toward higher gains will make your muff more brittle (good for Ram's Head clones) and that's good for chords, especially if you have a metal attitude alà J Mascis.
Keep in mind that new higher gain trannies are too quite..and that's bad for vintage noiselovers.. :-\
Using modern lower gain will make your muff more whooly, or, to say the truth, less brittle (as less signal is passing thru the clipping diodes).
Using odd designed lower gains , as 2N2222, could make you an happy man because they're very noisy ( 8)) and that's why, when they squeeze themself in the muff cyrcuit , you can get more sustain from it.

BTW, I think that in Triknobs-muff the transistor changing is even less dramatic for the overall gain , since they sport 390k resistors in the feedback stage ,against 470ks that are in the later muffs..so using 2N2222 in this case will make everything more sweet because of their odd construction without subctracting distortion almost at all.
;)
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Abadacus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Abadacus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:18 am

Thanks! I guess I'll get sockets and just switch out the transistors 'till I find the ones that work best for my playing style. Lots of great advice!  :D

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Anyone tried BC108's in a muff? theyre npn so theyd work i just never heard of them in a muff before.......superfuzz,i'm lookin at you?!?!?!?

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:28 am

Pumpkin wrote: Anyone tried BC108's in a muff? theyre npn so theyd work i just never heard of them in a muff before.......superfuzz,i'm lookin at you?!?!?!?
I've never tryed 'em but since they're , along with 2N2222s, the best replacement for sylicon fuzz faces , they surely are sweet.. 200-300 hfe if I'm not goin' wrong..
BTW for the real deal Bearelectronics sells 2N5133s as NOS parts..too much expensive to have them sent here in Italy but some of you in the States could pick 'em for exact replicas..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Abadacus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Abadacus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:22 pm

The 2n2222a's I'm using have a different shape than the stock transistors in the kit. How am I supposed to know which way to put them in?

Sorry for the dumb question, this is my second diy kit, and the first time I've messed with transistors.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:26 am

You'll have to find the data sheet for the ones you ordered to ID which pins are the emitter, base, and cathode.  Then just make sure you put the E B C in the same way the original trannies E B and C went in. 

Abadacus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Abadacus » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:01 am

Thanks a lot! Now that I know what to look for I just noticed the E B & C printed on the transistors. Feel pretty stupid now.  :-[

jazztwin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jazztwin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:02 am

Hello, sorry to bring this thread back up, but I just completed a BYOC Large Beaver build last night (using the mods suggested earlier in the thread - thanks!)... and I think I've made a mistake somewhere.

The pedal works, but the distortion is weak and I get no volume boost (if I crank the volume and sustain all the way up, the sound is just slightly distorted and my clean/dirty volume levels are the same).

I'm going to open it up tonight and check everything, but could anyone tell me where the likely trouble spot is based on the distortion/volume problem?

I checked the BYOC boards, and there were a couple of suggestions there (transistors, cold solder joint somewhere).  But I thought I'd check here, too, in case anyone's run into this problem before. 

Thanks!

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:07 am

jazztwin wrote: Hello, sorry to bring this thread back up, but I just completed a BYOC Large Beaver build last night (using the mods suggested earlier in the thread - thanks!)... and I think I've made a mistake somewhere.

The pedal works, but the distortion is weak and I get no volume boost (if I crank the volume and sustain all the way up, the sound is just slightly distorted and my clean/dirty volume levels are the same).

I'm going to open it up tonight and check everything, but could anyone tell me where the likely trouble spot is based on the distortion/volume problem?

I checked the BYOC boards, and there were a couple of suggestions there (transistors, cold solder joint somewhere).  But I thought I'd check here, too, in case anyone's run into this problem before. 

Thanks!

If you've used 2N2222s you've probabily done a mistake in placing them, they need to be soldered in the reverse way respect a normal TO-92 transistor..

jazztwin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jazztwin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:23 am

Superfuzz wrote:
If you've used 2N2222s you've probabily done a mistake in placing them, they need to be soldered in the reverse way respect a normal TO-92 transistor..
Thanks, Superfuzz!  I'll check that first -- I used the 2N2222s, and I tried to be careful placing them, but it's definitely possible that I got them soldered in wrong. 

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:04 am

Sorry to resurrect...

I just bought a Large Beaver. Jay, when you did yours did it have the extra tonal options like it does now?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:19 am

No, it didn't come with any of that extra stuff, either the pickle pack or the 4 way tone switch.  I added a 3 way switch to do the standard, flat mids, and mid boost mods but honestly I think the stock is the best sound.  The tone knob becomes less effective and changing the sound of the effect as you increase the value of the cap.  I think I describe it more in the original post.  Anyway, with all the options available in the kit now, it's lookin' seriously cool!