Rhythm Fuzz vs. Lead Fuzz, good pedals for either?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rhythm Fuzz vs. Lead Fuzz, good pedals for either?

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

I was reading up on all the Fuzz pedal related posting (of most interest has been the DIY stuff, I can't wait to dive into that myself.), and a thought came to mind:
I've always been really interested in lots of different kind of fuzz pedals, but which ones are best for a rhythm parts, and which excell better on lead parts? Especially for someone new to the fuzz pedal market (I've only really played a few, Big Muffs mostly), it would be pretty helpeful to hear what everyone has to say about which do better for which kind of work, and possibly work up a collection of soundclips we could like.. pin to the top of the thread so as to save us from multiple postings asking essentially the same question.

What do you all think?
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Rhythm Fuzz vs. Lead Fuzz, good pedals for either?

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 pm

I guess you heard the soundclips I posted .. I played rhythm parts only since clips of guys playing leads through various fuzzes aren't that hard to come by.

In my personal opinion of the fuzzes I own, muff types are the best for huge walls of fuzz and I particularly like the Mayo for that. IMO the best sounding fuzz for rhythm with the volume rolled back is the Sunface. The DAM Dragnfly was probably my favourite for leads, very definite, I guess maybe due to being a hybrid Si/Ge fuzz.

I kinda leave the Fuzz Factory out of this, because it does so much different stuff .. it's hard to think of it as having one particular sound, although I tend to prefer it for lead I think.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:40 pm

For rhythm, I find the old MXR Distortion + works nicely.  For lead, a carefully tuned Big Muff is great.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

Puke+Cry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puke+Cry » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 pm

big muff+superfuzz together.

anyways, looking for someone to build me a superfuzz, hopefully close to holland.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm

I like to use an MKII for rhythm and lead. Just turn the volume on the guitar down and it cleans up quite a bit. The fuzz face does this better than the MKII, but I like the MKII better for leads.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 pm

Best fuzz I've heard lately is Zvex wooly mammoth :?WOW that thing is just sick!
Lead on the bridge pup would be mad with it. :)
Now if only zac would bring out a vexter of it,i cant afford a hand painted one :(