A Faction of Fuzz Face Aficionados

Everyone needs a stompbox.
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

A Faction of Fuzz Face Aficionados

Post by pullover » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:45 pm

So I have never owned one of the actual Dallas Arbiter, or Dunlop reissues in the  big round disks , but I have built several replicas and I enjoy their sound for what it is. Just curious to hear from other Jazzmaster owners and fuzz face aficionados about their experience. I keep jonesing for a real one in the big red disk but I always convince myself to build one instead, I need to just buy one and mod it to near vintage specs.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: A Faction of Fuzz Face Aficionados

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:41 pm

I have the AM Sun Face which is supposed to be a pretty close replica of the originals. I like the fuzz face sound, even with heaps of fuzz it's still more controllable than the muff .. very grainy and organic sounding as opposed to a huge frightening wall of fuzz (which it can do too, not as well as a muff though). It responds better to rolling off the guitar's volume than the muffs I've got too.

It was one of the fuzzes in the fuzz comparison I did here in this section (BTW I'm quietly keeping my eye out for more fuzzes to compare so hopefully there'll be a Fuzz Serenade Part 2 in a couple of months).
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:15 am

My homebrew Fuzz Face clone is broken... it sounds terrible and if I turn the guitar volume off it makes an awesome synthlike tone which changes in pitch depending on the vol/tone knob positions which is a cool effect in itself.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:49 am

I'm not an electronics whizz or anything, but did you try changing the battery?
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:51 am

FireAarro wrote: My homebrew Fuzz Face clone is broken... it sounds terrible and if I turn the guitar volume off it makes an awesome synthlike tone which changes in pitch depending on the vol/tone knob positions which is a cool effect in itself.
There should be a variable resistor or a trim pot in there that controls the voltage to the collector of Q2, adjust that until it sounds good. I've never messed with homebrew, but on most boutique fuzz's this is the case.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.