BYOC building equipment list...

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

BYOC building equipment list...

Post by Ursoluno » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:22 pm

So I'm ordering myself a BYOC Lazy Sprocket.

This will be my first foray into the world of pedal building.  Hell, it'll be my first foray into the world of doing anything involving a soldering iron!

That being said, what sort of equipment do you folks recommend for a BYOC build?

What kind of solder should I spring for?  And specific brands of soldering iron?  Anything else I should know about?  I'd like it to be a high quality box.

Thankfully, I do have a friend who graduated with a degree in electrical engineering if I run into any snags.

So let's hear it folks!  What do you suggest?
...purple attics, purple helixes, vacuum cleaners, and cement.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: BYOC building equipment list...

Post by Jay » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:07 pm

I would recommend a soldering iron with a pencil tip and adjustable temp.  I bought an Elenco or something for around $40 and it's far better then any loose one I've used.  It's got a nice stand and holder so it won't accidentally burn stuff and a place to put a damp sponge to clean the tip off.  I would also suggest practicing your soldering skills on a bit of perf board and some random resistors before digging into the board on your Sprocket.  Soldering isn't difficult at all but can be a bit tricky without any practice.  Learn to tin your wires as well.  Makes soldering them to things go much easier.  You may want some type of "helping hands" device to hold the board while your soldering as well.  It will help keep parts from moving around while soldering.  An inexpensive multi-meter for testing voltage, resistance, and/or continuity will be helpful if the pedal isn't working as expected. Outside of that, there really are no special tricks or gear.  Maybe some good small wire snips, a screwdriver or two, and the wrenches for the pots and jacks.

I just started my first BYOC kit last night, a Tri-Boost.  the boards are really nice and the instruction are pretty good.  it shouldn't be too difficult for a first timer at all.  Just be patient, take your time making sure the right parts are going in the right way, and have fun.  I am for sure.  :)

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply!  There's definitely a lot of good information in there...

Anybody have any recommendations as to the type of solder to use?  Type, width, etc?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Very thin 60/40 rosin core is good.  I've got some Kester 2% silver that I'm using but sometimes silver solder can be a bit more difficult to work with.

Do you have a good electronics store locally?

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Jay wrote: Very thin 60/40 rosin core is good.  I've got some Kester 2% silver that I'm using but sometimes silver solder can be a bit more difficult to work with.

Do you have a good electronics store locally?
Not that I know of, but I do live in a big city.

I'm sure there are some specialty stores around here.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:26 pm

I use non-rosin core solder, that's how I was taught in school and in the Navy, but you also have to get a separate rosin flux. You clean the area with high percentage isopropyl alcohol, put rosin flux on, then solder, then clean it with Isopropyl Alcohol. Wait until the tip is hot, and only touch the pad on the board for a short period of time. If you hold it there for long periods you risk pulling the pad off or burning it.
Make sure you tin the tip of your new solder iron or it will burn up!

All the 60/40 rosin core solder at radio shack is all pretty much the same. Thin is usually better, for boards, and for potentiometers and grounds thicker is better.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:47 pm

Wow, non rosin core.  That's pretty hard core.  My electronics teacher in high school taught us all to use rosin core and he was retired military too.  I guess he figured high school kids were just too lazy to go the extra inch.  :)

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:49 pm

...you fellas could be speaking Greek for all I know.

Looks like I need to head on over to Wikipedia!

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:19 pm

Jay wrote: Wow, non rosin core.  That's pretty hard core.  My electronics teacher in high school taught us all to use rosin core and he was retired military too.  I guess he figured high school kids were just too lazy to go the extra inch.  :)
It's really not any different just one more step. I think it makes it a whole lot easier, and makes a better contact. The rosin heats up and cleans the contact, then the solder immediately spreads out to the whole pad, rather than pooling for a bit then spreading out. It's one more step but it makes a cleaner, more solid contact, and your less likely to burn up the pad from holding the tip on too long. Rosin is messy stuff though and if your not careful it can get all over the place. Use a syringe, an you only need a little bit.
That being said, if you want rosin core, I would recommend the 62/36/2% solder (62%-tin, 36%-lead, 2%-Silver) it melts easier.
I also use finger nail clippers rather than diagonal cutters to cut the extra length off the leads. They get a little closer to board, and there's always a pair or two in the junk drawer.

Ursoluno, I just googled "how to solder" and came up with this, it's not a bad how to: http://www.mediacollege.com/misc/solder/
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.