Re: your effects setup?

Post by onebigholiday » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am

Back to basics...

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm

After an odyssey through several minimalist Nano-sized setups that always left me wanting for another effect or two, I think I've settled on something I can be happy with for a while:
This is, for me, an enormous mothership of a board, but it gives me every sound I need for the music I play--garage clang, sort of Moon Duo-ripoff psych, ECM-esque space jazz, and post punk in the vein of any number of 4AD acts--while giving me just enough limitation to keep me from twiddling knobs and tapdancing across 3PDT switches all day.

Signal chain is:
Distortion+ (block logo, late 70s/very early 80s)-->SSBS Fuck-->Boss CS-2-->Boss FV-300H volume pedal-->Mutron Phasor I-->Eventide H9-->Fairfield Circuitry Modèle B-->Klemt Echolette NG51

Currently working on a dual Boss FA-1/SSBS Mini clone, which will eventually replace the Fuck as a do-it-all preamp/EQ/OD/Dist/Fuzz box, but for the moment things are sitting tight.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm

OmarAfzaal wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:57 pm

My wife got me the Soul Food for Christmas and I'm loving it coupled with the Rat. Looking to replace my Grail and Digidelay (can't believe I still have this fucking thing). Any recs for a solid reverb/delay/looper?
Have you gotten anything else instead yet? And are you looking for solid versions of each of those, or some kind of beastly combination of them?

I’ll make a few recs based on what I’ve gotten, after going through quite a few of them. They’re a bit on the expensive side - not sure what you’re looking to spend, but I really like these.

Meris:
The Polymoon delay is amazing and incredibly diverse, but a bit complicated - same with the Mercury 7 reverb.
They both do stereo, but require a TRS splitter cable for the input - my only real gripe about them, but I guess they did that to also put in an expression pedal jack that can control any control aspect you want, as I remember.

Catalinbread:
The Belle Epoch Deluxe is really cool, a fully functional analog copy of the EP-3, but uses digital memory instead of tape. Also has other settings (like a DMM) and a few others. Also takes an expression pedal, but it only controls either volume or delay time.
Badass, my only complaint is that it isn’t stereo.

Neunabor:
Recently got the Immerse reverb, which has quite a few different settings/models, and most of them (that I’ve tried) are very good. Does stereo.

Pigtronix:
The only looper that I have now is the Pigtronix Infinity. Dual channels for 2 different instruments together (can be recorded separately), or 2 different loops that can be transitioned, for verse/chorus type things.
It’s expensive, but most like it are in the same price range. Great for what it does.

Had the TC Ditto X2. I wasn't good enough with the footswitch timing, but they’re very solid.
I do not care for the Boss loopers, I had one die on me (the older small one), so I got the Infinity.

Hope that helps, at least to give you something to start with, even if you don’t get any of those.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.