PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: your effects setup?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:07 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:23 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:37 am
Haha, yeah. I've owned like 75% of every pedal they've ever made. EQD always seems to have something that works for me. Catalinbread and Caroline as well. I always forget that Bogner makes pedals. He's a weird dude.
Wow, that’s impressive! I had looked at the Avalanche Run years ago, but never get one, the Westwood is my first EQD. It kind of reminds me a lot of the Ss/Bs Mini that I just sold. It has heavier dirt and a more expansive eq than any of the other similar pedals I have.

Haven’t tried any Caroline pedals, but Catalinbread makes really good ones. I have the Karma Suture, RAH and Belle Epoch Deluxe, and they’re all fabulous. Also had a Galileo, but lost the need for it when I bought actual Vox amps and treble boosters, but it was a great pedal.
Haha, thanks :) Not including the EQD pedals that I still have (which includes an Organizer that's not on my board anymore; a Hummingbird V3, Plumes, and a The Warden currently on my bass board), I've had an Arpanoid, Avalanche Run (first version), Bit Commander, Disaster Transport (both Jr. and Sr.), Night Wire, Palisades, Sea Machine, Tentacle, and a Terminal. They make some cool stuff, but a few things were beaten out (just barely) by something else. Other things just weren't my style anyway (like the Sea Machine: I'm not a chorus guy).

I love everything I've ever played by Catalinbread, but I agree that the "amp-in-a-box" thing, though cool, is a bit strange to me. I'm sure the Galileo sounds awesome, as does the RAH, but I'd rather have the components that make up that sound, so I could mix and match them in other ways elsewhere. Caroline is also really awesome, but I find that I don't personally care for their dirt pedals as much. I think they EXCEL at delay and reverb though.
somanytoys wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I would have no problem loving more Greer pedals. I've been very impressed with their stuff so far, and based on the compressor, I bet the Lightspeed is just killer.
I really like the Lightspeed, it seems to have a feel to it that others like it don’t, kind of “open”. It’s similar to the VFE Merman when they’re set to sound alike, but a little different.
It's funny that you say that, because that's exactly how'd I describe the Lamplighter compressor compared to my EQD The Warden. There's a clarity to it that's just really awesome.
somanytoys wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
That's a cool idea, but taking some of it out of the signal path also means that it would be tough to do live. The whole idea with using the input switcher for that would be to make sound effects and funky stuff in real time.
I see what you mean. The only other option to do something like that seems like it would be to get another Line Selector or similar pedal, to leave the Ditto in the chain, but have its output isolated to the other amp. Then you could switch the feed on & off to the Ditto on the fly - either instead of or along with the chain to the guitar amp. It can all get complicated and expensive fast, depending on what you want to do.

But just to get an idea if it’s worth going to all that trouble and expense, you could quickly loop something cool into the Ditto and push that out to another amp, then play along with that thru your main amp. I think you’d like the separation it would give and be much more useful.
I think a Line Selector might the way to do it, but I don't need another one on my board :D To put the looper in a loop of its own might work really well. The idea was cool, but it might not be worth all the trouble and expense too. Maybe I'll mess with it again down the line. For now, I'm really happy with my board. I just want to figure out a POG-type of sound, and then I think I'll be totally set.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:12 pm

parry wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 am
Still keeping it as simple as I can, but I've switched things up a little bit by adding the DD8 and the Chorus at the end (for stereo). There's lots of interesting repeats/sounds to be had with the DD7/DD8 combo, by tapping them in and out of sync with each other. Between both delays, I think it covers just about every delay setting imaginable, as well as looping. It's been working out well.

I think they finally caught on, but those Ibanez DE-7s are absolutely killer delays. I had one for years and gifted it to a friend's son when he started playing bass. I kinda wouldn't mind having another one, but they are starting to get a bit more expensive.

shoule79 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Built a smaller, less crazy board recently. Supposed to try it out this weekend, but cancelled due to coronavirus.
KILLER set up! How do you like the Plumes so far? I got one for bass and I LOVE it. It's got a really nice bottom end for a TS-style circuit.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 am

I have three Ibanez DE7s now... They're good. :shifty:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:03 am

StevenO wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 am
I didn't even think about it, but that would be a good delay for my bass board...

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:32 am

StevenO wrote:
In Canada, we can’t just “buy” DE7s. You have to apply for a permit in order to attempt to earn one through feats of strength, acts exhibiting intestinal fortitude, journeys North to the forbidden lands and so-on. In these parts, StevenO is THE living legend.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:39 am

parry wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:32 am
StevenO wrote:
In Canada, we can’t just “buy” DE7s. You have to apply for a permit in order to attempt to earn one through feats of strength, acts exhibiting intestinal fortitude, journeys North to the forbidden lands and so-on. In these parts, StevenO is THE living legend.
It's true. It's a part of our constitution.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:47 am

Ha!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:31 am

And I have two big box EHX Holy Grails. Because hoarding...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:07 pm
(All that stuff up there! Haha)
Wow dude, that is sick! I will say that there have been a few of EQD’s pedals that I’ve wanted to try, but probably bought something else or it was redundant with what I already have.

Yeah, I have a few of the “amp in a box” pedals. They’re good to have for a different flavor of amp, without buying more amps, but are more of a cool novelty. I’m not sure if you can always quite get “there” with other pedals or not, but sometimes you can.

Interestingly, I just got a Dr Robert pedal, and found that I could get pretty damn close to one of its sounds with a treble booster (an NKT green dot version) and the Westwood. I didn’t try to get all of the variants that it does, but those 2 did get close to the sound that it was set on. The Mach Shau switch does more to the character than just take it to 11, I find. I had listed my Keeley 30MS on Reverb, but since it has a whole Abbey Road vibe on delay & reverb, I tried it with this. Now I’m no longer selling it. :fp: Cool little 2-pedal setup for good sounds tho.

The RAH is cool and interesting, and pretty dynamic with pick attack & guitar volume, since that’s one of the things that Howard was going for. I’m not buying a Hiwatt head & Marshall cab, so it allows me to use the sounds it gives thru a different amp. I also absolutely love my T21 VTDI on bass, but it's also so much more than just a fliptop or SVT in a box. And the Rusty Box is just a must have for me, even tho I have the actual amps it’s based on.

Good luck “finishing” your pedalboard - they never really seem to stay the same for long! Not for me, anyway. Always new pedals or great new ideas from people’s posts.
Last edited by somanytoys on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:02 am

StevenO wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:31 am
And I have two big box EHX Holy Grails. Because hoarding...
You’re speaking my language there.

I don’t have any real vintage stuff, but a lot of stuff ( some is older), and what I haven’t sold already seems impossible to part with. But I really need to figure out some pedals to sell off.

Also, congratulations on your triple crown in the Canadian DE7 Acquisition Hunger Games!
-David

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:12 pm
shoule79 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Built a smaller, less crazy board recently. Supposed to try it out this weekend, but cancelled due to coronavirus.
KILLER set up! How do you like the Plumes so far? I got one for bass and I LOVE it. It's got a really nice bottom end for a TS-style circuit.
Thanks!

I’m liking it so far. A couple practices in I just wasn’t cutting through with my Super Duper, Jag and Mesa 5:50, needed a mid boost to stand apart from the other guitar and keyboard. It likes my JM, Jag and Tele. The JM and tele sound their best with my Archer, the Jag with the OCD and almost no gain. The Plumes likes everything though, even my humbucker guitars.

I love a TS with bass, I bet the Plumes sounds killer

I’m hoping to get to try it out in front of more than my family once stuff is open again. The Strymons have only seen action at practice too, they have simplified my board greatly.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:28 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:07 pm
(All that stuff up there! Haha)
Wow dude, that is sick! I will say that there have been a few of EQD’s pedals that I’ve wanted to try, but probably bought something else or it was redundant with what I already have.

Yeah, I have a few of the “amp in a box” pedals. They’re good to have for a different flavor of amp, without buying more amps, but are more of a cool novelty. I’m not sure if you can always quite get “there” with other pedals or not, but sometimes you can.

Interestingly, I just got a Dr Robert pedal, and found that I could get pretty damn close to one of its sounds with a treble booster (an NKT green dot version) and the Westwood. I didn’t try to get all of the variants that it does, but those 2 did get close to the sound that it was set on. The Mach Shau switch does more to the character than just take it to 11, I find. I had listed my Keeley 30MS on Reverb, but since it has a whole Abbey Road vibe on delay & reverb, I tried it with this. Now I’m no longer selling it. :fp: Cool little 2-pedal setup for good sounds tho.

The RAH is cool and interesting, and pretty dynamic with pick attack & guitar volume, since that’s one of the things that Howard was going for. I’m not buying a Hiwatt head & Marshall cab, so it allows me to use the sounds it gives thru a different amp. I also absolutely love my T21 VTDI on bass, but it's also so much more than just a fliptop or SVT in a box. And the Rusty Box is just a must have for me, even tho I have the actual amps it’s based on.

Good luck “finishing” your pedalboard - they never really seem to stay the same for long! Not for me, anyway. Always new pedals or great new ideas from people’s posts.
Thanks man. I know what you mean about "finishing" a board: it never seems to happen for me. If I really want to try out new stuff, I could see having a small board (like 4 or 5 pedals) that I can shamelessly switch pedals in and out of, but I really want to finalize the big board. Just about everything is where I want to be. Pulling the trigger to say that it's done will be a bit of a challenge (mental) I think, but it'll be kinda freeing to, to say "this is what I have, how can I make it do the things I want to do?" instead of buying a specialty pedal for a specific sound. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I've always lusted after the vibe pedal sound, specifically a Dry Bell Vibe Machine. But I don't want that sound all the time. I figured out that running my EQD Grand Orbiter (set to phase mode) into my Caroline Parabola (set very slow in the FM mode) into a delay, and then a short spring reverb, gets that sound SO well. And that's stuff I was always gonna have on my board anyways, you know?

I'm definitely gonna have to try out an RAH some day. I remember when they first put out this video, I was just blown away by the sound and response of it. I still have an audio-only version on that on my phone just to listen to Howard play old Zeppelin 8)

shoule79 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm
I’m liking it so far. A couple practices in I just wasn’t cutting through with my Super Duper, Jag and Mesa 5:50, needed a mid boost to stand apart from the other guitar and keyboard. It likes my JM, Jag and Tele. The JM and tele sound their best with my Archer, the Jag with the OCD and almost no gain. The Plumes likes everything though, even my humbucker guitars.

I love a TS with bass, I bet the Plumes sounds killer
It does sound great on bass, but I'm also running it as the extra gain stage a lot of the time too. I bought a Darkglass Vintage Ultra so I had a DI with a gain stage (to have one less pedal on the board since I like to run a couple gain stages). The Vintage Ultra gives a slightly SVT Ampeg sound, and with the Plumes running into that, it's just heaven.

EQD is really knocking it out of the park with their overdrives lately. The Westwood is quickly becoming my favorite drive pedal on guitar. I've always wanted to try an Archer as well. I have this feeling that medium-gain pedals are just my thing now. Haha

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 am

That’s what I find continually. But I have made my big board more static, just waiting on a couple of pedals to come in, to replace others on that board. Otherwise it stays more static. When those other pedals come in, I should run everything so that it doesn’t look like a spaghetti monster. I’ve been using my smaller board more to swap & try other things out.

I do the same thing, but it takes up room, power & cables to use more pedals together to get 1 sound. I do it, but if I can find a pedal to replace 2 or 3, that’s a huge bonus for me. It’s also a pain with controllers that are limited to 4 switches, without more controllers eating up room, power and twice the cables.

I’ll check out that video, but I suspect I’ve seen it - it’s probably what sold me on the RAH! I don’t think that I’ve used it in a really loud setting, but it does get some really nice sounds. And like was said about the amps themselves, it is very open and touch/volume knob sensitive. Being open, it’s also kind of raw, and will expose any mistakes or flaws in your playing. Which can either help you improve or piss you off! Haha

It’s a keeper for me, tho. I imagine it’s somewhat similar to the T21 Leeds pedal that Mack uses, with a few less options.
-David

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 am

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 am
I do the same thing, but it takes up room, power & cables to use more pedals together to get 1 sound. I do it, but if I can find a pedal to replace 2 or 3, that’s a huge bonus for me. It’s also a pain with controllers that are limited to 4 switches, without more controllers eating up room, power and twice the cables.
I feel that. I love the idea of pedals that can do multiple things, but I also tend to prefer pedals separately so you can switch those effects on or off without having to worry about a toggle switch or a MIDI bank or something like that. Like, replacing a reverb and a delay with a combo unit that has a separate footswitch for each is cool, but I wouldn't want to replace those two for one that only has a single footswitch.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:26 am

Agree. I tried that with the Caverns, and even tho it has separate switches for each side, it wasn’t for me. I think that most of my pedals are pretty standalone, except for ones with other features built into them, like having phaser & flange on the Polymoon. I’d rather have 2 great pedals than one just okay one.

I don't control any pedals with midi (yet, anyway), just the controllers to turn the individual pedals on & off. It is a little limiting with only 4 switches per controller, and I still have to turn the shared pedals that are earlier in the chain on & off themselves (fuzz/treble booster, comp, etc).

I was thinking about maybe using another controller for those pedals, but that would take away a controller I would rather use for another board, and it would use more cables.

It never freakin’ ends!
-David