PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: your effects setup?

Post by my bloody television » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:18 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:46 pm
my bloody television wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 pm
Just took delivery of the Volante today and spent a few hours noodling around with it. Really dig it so far! especially the Sound on Sound features.

I was wondering if the Volante was as big as an Eventide pedal, looks like it is. You should post your findings in the Volante thread.
Just did, thanks for the suggestion :)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm

SadFuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:52 pm
That's really cool ,nice selection.
ive had a saying for years that if you want to get the most out of a fender reverb amp, pair it with a bassman and vica versa. some amps tend to fill out others issues. for example vox ac30's and hiwatt's work amazing together. my friend used to use an AC30 with a hiwatt custom 50 running into a vox 4x12. just sounded massive.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mrflood
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mrflood » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:52 pm

Turbo Tuner Mini -> EQD Bit Commander -> Basic Audio Alter-Destiny -> Rimrock 'Lil Mo -> Chase Bliss Gravitas -> EHX Deluxe Memory Man -> Source Audio Nemesis -> SurfyBear Metal -> Fulltone Tube Tape Echo

My new setup for 2019. Decided to throw convenience to the wind and go with some analog choices as I have been really inspired by surf, rockabilly, proto-rock, etc. tones lately. I have long used a booster or light overdrive to goose my amp, but now the tube pre-amp on the Tube Tape Echo can do the honors. Not pictured is the onboard effect on my Tone King Sky King amp: tube bias tremolo, spring reverb (medium-decay pan that is more subtle and shimmery than the SurfyBear), and lead channel. The total gives me 4 gain stages (not including the TTE, DMM, SurfyBear, or Gravitas preamps which all sound great as well), 3+ types of tremolo (traditional, harmonic traditional+harmonic & tube bias), 2 types of spring reverb, and many delay options. Sweetest sounds I have heard from my guitar in a while.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 pm

That SurfyBear is a very modest looking pedal. :) How does it sound? Is it miles better than a spring emulation?

mrflood
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mrflood » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:47 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 pm
That SurfyBear is a very modest looking pedal. :) How does it sound? Is it miles better than a spring emulation?
The SurfyBear is basically the Fender 6G15 outboard unit with FETs in place of the tubes. It has a full sizes tank (hence the size), and two nice modifications - true bypass and a boost circuit (to help with perceived volume drop at higher mix levels). I was using a Source Audio Ventris on my board last year, and a SurfyBear Classic at home for recording, but in the end the Ventris didn't quite capture the depth and feel of the real thing, so I sold both and got this more 'pedalboard-friendly" version of the SurfyBear. I realized when I had the Ventris that I only ever used the Spring reverb (not to say I didn't like the other sounds), so I might as well just use the real thing. Not practical for everyone, but I was able to squeeze it on the board.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm

mrflood wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:47 pm
smjenkins wrote:
The SurfyBear is basically the Fender 6G15 outboard unit with FETs in place of the tubes. It has a full sizes tank (hence the size), and two nice modifications - true bypass and a boost circuit (to help with perceived volume drop at higher mix levels). I was using a Source Audio Ventris on my board last year, and a SurfyBear Classic at home for recording, but in the end the Ventris didn't quite capture the depth and feel of the real thing, so I sold both and got this more 'pedalboard-friendly" version of the SurfyBear. I realized when I had the Ventris that I only ever used the Spring reverb (not to say I didn't like the other sounds), so I might as well just use the real thing. Not practical for everyone, but I was able to squeeze it on the board.
Nice! What circuit did you use to boost it?
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

mrflood
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mrflood » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:37 pm

parry wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm
mrflood wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:47 pm
smjenkins wrote:
Nice! What circuit did you use to boost it?
Not sure, the SurfyBear website calls it a clean boost, and it seems pretty transparent. I haven't tried turning it up all the way yet to see if it has enough boost to, say, drive an amp or not.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Great info. Thanks mrflood. I've been looking at options for an analog reverb. I will check this out...

mrflood
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mrflood » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 pm
Great info. Thanks mrflood. I've been looking at options for an analog reverb. I will check this out...
I think the SurfyBear (either Classic or Metal) are the way to go if you want the vintage 6G15 sound. The Classic doesn't have the true bypass or boost circuit of the Metal, but has the traditional 6G15 bypass and comes is a really cool looking tolex-wrapped wooden enclosure (not really pedalboard-mountable though, meant to sit on the ground). Anasound's Element might be another good option if you want a more modern take (not strictly based on a vintage circuit). They have 3 different size spring tanks to choose from that can be mounted under your pedalboard, so that it doesn't take up as much real estate top-side as the SurfyBear.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:34 am

smjenkins wrote:
You might also want to check out the Anasounds Element.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:35 am

smjenkins wrote:
The Surfy Bear Company is also selling PCB's/Kits so you can put the circuit in a pedal and the spring tank wherever you want :)

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:04 am

@pjazzmaster

Agreed! If you google search the SurfyBear option, there are lots of unique/cool ideas for enclosures going the DIY-route.
It's definitely more cost-effective than any of the pre-fab options.

mrflood
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mrflood » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 am

parry wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:04 am
@pjazzmaster

Agreed! If you google search the SurfyBear option, there are lots of unique/cool ideas for enclosures going the DIY-route.
It's definitely more cost-effective than any of the pre-fab options.
I agree, I have seen some guys on the Surfguitar101.com forum have done all sorts of cool things with the SurfyBear kit.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:25 am

PJazzmaster wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:35 am
smjenkins wrote:
The Surfy Bear Company is also selling PCB's/Kits so you can put the circuit in a pedal and the spring tank wherever you want :)
Damn, that’s a good idea.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 am

i keep saying i'm gonna build one of those fet reverbs. ideally build it into a small plastic fish tank and have paper fish hanging from the lid. kinda like the tv's in ed edd n' eddy.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'