Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SansRegret » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Zork wrote:may I ask what the bargain price of the moog was?
$200 cad
Thom

"Who poured that pint, Ray Charles?"

Oyster Boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oyster Boy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:02 pm

This is what I've got going at the moment. I don't think it's as mad as it looks.

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 am

Last night I had the first proper rehearsal with a start up covers band. I had a lot of gear to move and being old and lazy I stripped down the 'rig' to

Rickenbacker 330-Slammi-Mel9-SMMH-Matchless Lightning head-Pacific 2x12.

I decided do do things, 1 not use my LP or 360 and use my virtually unplayed 330 (I've had it since 2007 and probably changed the strings twice). 2 go without any overdrive pedals. I have a Klon, King of Tone and FD2 and am addicted to exprensive overdrives.

So some thoughts. Once you get playing in a band (even without an audience) all the obsessive stuff goes away, you make it work. I was playing Rolling Stones with a Ric (who cares it worked) and I simply turned up the pre when I wanted dirt. I love the Matchless clean, it is amazing. However when you get it on the point of overdrive it goes beyond that. And full gain? I think I need 3 amps live.

All the players I like and listen to, use effects as just that. Need a sound, press a switch, use the sound and turn it off again. Yes there are situation where you need a Klon and I've done whole gigs without switching it off. But sometimes you (me) need to strip out what you dont need and what you dont need to worry about and play.

Gets off soap box...

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:23 pm

I think I'm almost done ... Aside from a tone bender clone and maybe a hotcake.

Tapestry Audio vp -> Korg pitch black -> Xotic SP compressor -> Reissue RAT -> Retro-Sonic Chorus (CE-1 essentially) -> deluxe memory boy -> strymon DIG -> strymon Flint -> Version 1 Trinity reverb...and disconnected for lack of patch cables I have the ehx freeze. I haven't even tried out the freeze yet. Everything going into an AC30HW. Very happy with my sound at the moment.

Was able to cop some Leslie-ish tones with the vibrato on the retro-sonic coupled with the flint trem.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:I think I'm almost done ... Aside from a tone bender clone and maybe a hotcake.

that's looking great! are you about the first one in these parts to pick up a DIG? i'm about to be the second ... 8)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:32 pm

dc wrote:
that's looking great! are you about the first one in these parts to pick up a DIG? i'm about to be the second ...
Thanks! I think I may have seen one or two on here. I actually just got the DIG last week. I've barely gotten to prank with it. So far it seems very versatile. I think it will be more useful than my old el cap

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:10 pm

Simple and effective, amp clean channel mic'ed into PA: tuner-->TS-->Xotic SL drive --> MXR EQ. Four good sounds there, with a boost pedal from the amp.

remember / to kick it over

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:38 am

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Here's my latest config:
The top level routing goes like so:
Guitar > Walrus Audio Plainsman > One Control Xenogama Tail Loop 2 > JHS Prestige > Lehle Dual > Amps

The OneControl Loops go:
Loop 1 [EQD Acapulco Gold > Fairfield Circuitry Modele B] >
Loop 2 [JHS Morning Glory v4] >
Loop 3 [Catalinbread Echorec > Empress Buffer + Loop Out> Amp in > FX Loop Send > Buffer + Loop In > Fulltone Deja Vibe > Fulltone Supa Trem > Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude > EQD Afterneath]

Just finished this up last weekend so I haven't tried it in a band setting or w/ all the amps/guitars yet, but so far I'm really liking the drive section. I think I've got the pedals set up to stack pretty well together and the range of options is great fun to explore. I'm using the Plainsman as a mostly always on "clean" boost, the Morning glory as a dual stage crunch/light medium overdrive, the Acapulco Gold provides great heavy dirt and funky overdrive dependent on the input level, and the Modele B works great to reign in the output of the AG and for imparting a great loose, big booty quality to things in general while still maintaining "transparrency".

The Prestige at the end of the FX loop has a great range in and of itself just based on where the knob is and allows pretty nice independent control of how hard you're hitting the power tubes. It starts getting LOUD and raunchy past ~10:30-11 o'clock and I'm pretty sure an LP through the combo of the dimed Acapulco Gold, Modele B, and Prestige into the OR50 and PPC212 could bring down most buildings.

I'll only wind up using the FX loop routing w/ the Maz but I've wanted to get a board set up w/ the option again since I got it and it's simple to jumper when I'm not using it.

I'll probably wind up using the Levitation in place of the Afterneath unless I'm going for mega-spacey sounds. I can still generate some pretty massive delay washes just feeding the Echorec into the Meet Maude and I'll get more use out of the more organic and subtle plate-y sound of the Levitation. It works great for a surf/spaghetti western drip feel too IMO.

I'm really happy w/ the OneControl switcher so far. Seems dead quiet w/ smooth switching and solid metal jacks. I haven't tried the built in power daisy chain but I'd imagine that worst case it will work just fine for supplying a few passive utility pedals that really only need to light an LED.

JJ Gabor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JJ Gabor » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:10 am

^^^
Nice colour coordination going on with that board!

I have been doing a lot of looping and currently switch the Moogerfoogers in and out for manipulating loops

lazycircles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lazycircles » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 am

Oyster Boy wrote:Image

This is what I've got going at the moment. I don't think it's as mad as it looks.

is your xp-200 a legit xp-200 or has it had the jetpack mod?

either way, i love the setup. looks like a ton of fun.
Last edited by lazycircles on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 am

My current setup - I'm in progress of reconnecting everything. I added a Small Clone earlier this year but had yet to add it to the board. I also...apparently....have another pedal coming in soon, and I have NO idea what it is, but whatever it is, I'll be able to make use of it

The Footswitch is my now heavily modified Bugera FSB104 - I wired it to use a D-SUB 9-pin male connector, and I use thrift-shop begotten serial cables to link the whole mess together . I reidid the amp this way, now I have 31 feet of footswitch cable to work with, it's awesome. I'll never be at mercy of outlet placement again!

GUITAR->into....

BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner - I almost use it in chromatic mode, since I'm not always in E standard at A440

Digitech Whammy WH4 - My old faithful I've had since my days in Smokin' 66', I use the crap out of this thing, probably more now at the suggestion of some RATM covers

BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter - Another long-standing pedal, one of my main "make crazy noises" units, I also use it in conjunction with the EHX Small Clone if I want to double up choruses!

Dunlop -Crybaby Classic - Back in the running, will need it for covering Soundgarden and Pearl Jam songs, among other things (for now), I've had this one probably the longest of the lot

Behringer PH-9 Super Shifter - My main phaser, cheaper than a Phase 90, and does the same job, though I do need to probably replace the footswitch button on it since it's a little...er....cranky now

Electro Harmonix Small Clone - I finally got this, this is the only Chorus pedal I've used that gets MY in-home-studio chorus sound in mono using my regular amp of choice.

DOD FX-75B Stereo Flanger - Modded trim pots (still) for that "garden hose attachment on vinyl siding" sound, which also kinda sounds like touching a wall in the Atari 2600 version of "Berzerk"

BOSS DD-7 Digital Delay - I use Reverse on this about as much as sI use it as a delay, I rarely, if ever, use the sampling function on it.

If I get anymore big pedals I'm going to need to build my own board, and possibly bigger (and if I do that, I'm dumping the Velcro in favor of bolted-on pedals - like how the BOSS in-store displays do).

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:25 pm

One of those days

Oyster Boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oyster Boy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:13 pm

lazycircles wrote:
Oyster Boy wrote:Image

is your xp-200 a legit xp-200 or has it had the jetpack mod?

either way, i love the setup. looks like a ton of fun.
It's an XP-400 that has been modded to an XP-300. Not a jet pack mod just a space station

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Here is my current board! I use the ditto when I'm practicing and the fuzz face when I'm playing live. The board is used probably 95% of the time at home.
Send me western swing vids