Re: Setup of the day

Everyone needs a stompbox.
mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 am

Trying to remember what my '67 NR Firebird sounds like without all the fuzz, echo, pre-amps, boosters and just get back to playing it at home, straight into my '79 Princeton Reverb, and focusing on listening to all the nuances and coming to the realisation...

...that it sounds like shit.

I've had this thing all my life, and its always sounded dull and clunky, I've tried numerous different bridges, pot values, pickups, refrets, setups etc. I've had another '65 NR 3 pickup Firebird and it sounded the same. Its hard to tell as I play with my fingers so the sound has a dull attack anyway, but I get so much more sonic "information" out of a Tele for example. The attack and decay of the notes on this guitar are very flat, it doesn't ring or sustain. If I played it in a shop, I'd put it back. The thing is, played in the context of a band, and using gain and fuzz, the deadness and lack of sustain becomes a useful tool, and it has its own frequency range that it slots into.

I need an "at home" guitar. And some money.

Mclean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mclean » Thu May 25, 2017 5:50 am

'64 > '64 (with a bunch of other stuff in between)

It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice.

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Fri May 26, 2017 4:26 pm

trying something new

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 am

Moved to Ocean Shores, WA about a 10 minute walk from The Polynesian Resort where Kurt Cobain worked as a cleaner.

Playing through this pack of smokes.

"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed May 31, 2017 3:11 pm

Not so much "of the day", but my I run this split in my DRRI and Traynor TGM-3.

lususnaturae
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lususnaturae » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Today - fun at home

Yesterday - cocktail hour

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 am

Here's what I was running today. The Warden is new-ish, and the T-Rex Quint Machine just came today. Quint Machine is REALLY cool. It does octave up and down, AND a fifth up. I was running it mostly on octave down and full mix only to get a bass octave on my guitar, but when I turned the octave up and fifth up on, in conjunction with the Tentacle and Mini, it was doing the synth bass thing SO good I am building my bass rig to do the straight bass or rock bass thing, but where I can do a reasonable synth bass thing too. I found a video on YouTube (https://youtu.be/-UcSkfyVij8 where Janek gets this amazing synth bass tone with mostly just a multi-octave (up, down, original signal) and an overdrive/fuzz. The trick seems to be maxing out the treble frequency on the overdrive/fuzz and then adjusting the gain to taste. Sounds awesome.
lususnaturae wrote:Today - fun at home

Yesterday - cocktail hour
LOVE that Epiphone! How do you like your Night Wire? I got one for my bass rig, and I didn't like it on guitar almost at all, but the more I play it, the more I like it. I'm REALLY a tremolo guy, and it felt like it was a bit of a pain to find a normal trem sound (which isn't helped by the fact that I've never played a harmonic trem in an amp before either).
Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:03 am

mijmog wrote:Image

Trying to remember what my '67 NR Firebird sounds like without all the fuzz, echo, pre-amps, boosters and just get back to playing it at home, straight into my '79 Princeton Reverb, and focusing on listening to all the nuances and coming to the realisation...

...that it sounds like shit.

I've had this thing all my life, and its always sounded dull and clunky, I've tried numerous different bridges, pot values, pickups, refrets, setups etc. I've had another '65 NR 3 pickup Firebird and it sounded the same. Its hard to tell as I play with my fingers so the sound has a dull attack anyway, but I get so much more sonic "information" out of a Tele for example. The attack and decay of the notes on this guitar are very flat, it doesn't ring or sustain. If I played it in a shop, I'd put it back. The thing is, played in the context of a band, and using gain and fuzz, the deadness and lack of sustain becomes a useful tool, and it has its own frequency range that it slots into.

I need an "at home" guitar. And some money.
I've heard you play that guitar on records and live. You had me fooled into thinking that it was a nice sounding guitar! :D

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 pm

The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Tenor FTW++!++!++!
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

lususnaturae
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lususnaturae » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:21 pm

LOVE that Epiphone! How do you like your Night Wire? I got one for my bass rig, and I didn't like it on guitar almost at all, but the more I play it, the more I like it. I'm REALLY a tremolo guy, and it felt like it was a bit of a pain to find a normal trem sound (which isn't helped by the fact that I've never played a harmonic trem in an amp before either).[/quote]

Thanks! I l'm lovin' the Night Wire! Aside from being a great trem pedal, there is a little bit of phase and an envelope filter in there. I do have to admit, it did take me some time before I fully warmed up this pedal.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:50 am

Bert Camenbert wrote:I've heard you play that guitar on records and live. You had me fooled into thinking that it was a nice sounding guitar!
Really? Where in Austria - was that Vienna or Graz? Thanks for the comments, its just a weird guitar thats all, there's no attack, you have to really dig in to get more out of it it (which is fun in itself). When you play softly there's no presence. If I could draw the envelope of each note when plucked it would have a shallow curve upward to represent the limited attack, then a sharp release to simulate lack of sustain. Its a plunky old thing, I should really try something completely different for a while.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Oh, yes!!
I've been enamoured with these tenors, myself. Nice, nice, nice :-*
i love sharin foo wrote:Image
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:55 pm

parry wrote:Oh, yes!!
I've been enamoured with these tenors, myself. Nice, nice, nice
Thanks! I just got done jamming with it just a few minutes ago.. it is amazing how much you can do with the short scale and only four strings. It really forces you to focus what you are doing more. I think I've always done best working within the confines of certain limitations and I think this plays into that nicely. I keep thinking now about how to build a 4 string, 23" scale Jaguar :fp:
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

sapphire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sapphire » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Hey all, first post!