Re: Setup of the day

Everyone needs a stompbox.
garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:48 am

Recently swapped the Procession for a Reverberation Machine, which is way more "organic" and less "effecty".

Guitar swaps between an MIJ JM and this 1975 Tele Custom.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:47 am

garyfanclub wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:48 am
Recently swapped the Procession for a Reverberation Machine, which is way more "organic" and less "effecty".

How do you like the Secret Preamp?

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:47 am
garyfanclub wrote:

I like it a lot - it's very subtle, but if you're looking at one of these you know that's the way it's meant to be.

I mostly play single coils, so wanted something to boost mids a bit but not change the character of the guitar. This does that perfectly.

I upgraded from a Land Devices EP-5, which seemed to only really have one setting on the knob - off and about half way up, the other pot positions didn't do anything - maybe something's wrong with it? The Secret Preamp is more tweakable, and the different tone options give it some versatility. Love that it gets kinda compressed/squished above 60% of the way on the knob.

Haven't really gotten to play it cranked up yet, but so far so good! Sounds excellent into my DMM and into my 65 Reverberocket. Definitely a nice addition to my desert island rig.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:38 am

garyfanclub wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:47 am
garyfanclub wrote:

I like it a lot - it's very subtle, but if you're looking at one of these you know that's the way it's meant to be.

I mostly play single coils, so wanted something to boost mids a bit but not change the character of the guitar. This does that perfectly.

I upgraded from a Land Devices EP-5, which seemed to only really have one setting on the knob - off and about half way up, the other pot positions didn't do anything - maybe something's wrong with it? The Secret Preamp is more tweakable, and the different tone options give it some versatility. Love that it gets kinda compressed/squished above 60% of the way on the knob.

Haven't really gotten to play it cranked up yet, but so far so good! Sounds excellent into my DMM and into my 65 Reverberocket. Definitely a nice addition to my desert island rig.
Cool. I’ve only tried an Xotic EP booster and that had a low mid tubbiness I wasn’t into.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:48 pm

garyfanclub wrote:

That is a gorgeous Telecaster!
A death’s head ring upon his finger

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:36 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:48 pm
garyfanclub wrote:

That is a gorgeous Telecaster!
Thanks man, it’s a great guitar - definitely one of the more versatile ones in my collection!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:42 am

...what's cool about this quarantine thing is, you get to not play what you left at the rehearsal space, but more unusual stuff from at home! ;D

PS: this old Maxon S&D II is the most fantastic thing I've played in a while!!! :-*
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 am

My first electric guitar in my smaller amp, it's not like I can go to a rehearsal space these days, but they play very well with each other !

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:42 am

...what's cool about this quarantine thing is, you get to not play what you left at the rehearsal space, but more unusual stuff from at home! ;D

PS: this old Maxon S&D II is the most fantastic thing I've played in a while!!! :-*
I dig the Digiverb, I still have a couple of those.
Also have a couple of older Ibanez pedals as well (not those same ones).

Sometimes it’s nice to play with older stuff that you didn’t or just couldn’t sell off.

Looks really cool! I’m sure it sounds good as well.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:45 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:42 am

Wowza, that Firebird is gorgeoussss!

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:05 am

Gibson Jeff Tweedy signature SG > DOD 280 Compressor > Klon KTR > ex-Tweedy owned Pedal Mechanic Fuzz Rivals > 69 Bandmaster Reverb.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:05 am

Gibson Jeff Tweedy signature SG > DOD 280 Compressor > Klon KTR > ex-Tweedy owned Pedal Mechanic Fuzz Rivals > 69 Bandmaster Reverb.
So, ya likes da Wilcos there, eh?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Pepe Silvia wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:05 am

So, ya likes da Wilcos there, eh?
I wanted to buy the SG before I knew what it was. It's the perfect SG, purely coincidental

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:51 am

I'll have to grab a picture later, but Sunday morning I tried out my newly delivered fuzz: Magnetic Effects Solar Bender! I like the White Atom I've had for a while, but I was getting to the point that I felt like it was a good all around fuzz, but didn't do much for me for any specific sound. My first real fuzz was an Analogman BC-109 Sunface, which I regret selling (though I rarely played loud enough to let it breathe, hence why I started looking into more modern-styled fuzzes). Because of my experience with the Sunface, I really missed that fuzzy edge. When I bought my White Atom, I was kind of between that and the Solar Bender, based on some demos I'd heard, specifically this one from Mike Herman's. I've played Fuzz Face and Muff styles, but this was the first thing I've ever tried in the Tonebender family. It plays REALLY nicely with everything I've got (buffers, later in the signal chain, etc.) and sounds much more like what I was after for a fuzz. I picked up the newest version which has a 3-way bass switch (stock, less bass, and more bass) in addition to the tone knob. I set it with the treble maxed and the switch set to more bass, to try to get some crispy, almost Fuzz Face tones, and it sounded awesome. The bias has a more usable range than the texture knob on the White Atom. VERY cool fuzz.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 am

That’s the cool thing about silicon fuzzes, they can go anywhere. I only have 2, the silicon setting on the Throback OD/B and the Fulltone Mas Malo. Both are great, with a LOT of range in drive and tone. But they are made to breathe more, I find - the more headroom/volume, the better they sound.

I’ve noticed that a lot of dirt pedals really need to have room to breathe before they really sound good. A few sound good at lower volumes, but most are made to work with the amp working pretty hard. I assume it’s hard to strike a good balance with both in a pedal, depending on the circuit, etc.

This weekend I put together a small VFE board (5 pedals) on a small wooden board (Kentucky Hot Brown, I think) that I had bought a while back. I already had the White Horse compressor and Rocket EQ on it, and I kept swapping other pedals in & out, and I finally decided to pull out a few other VFE pedals to make a solid board.

I put in the Tractor Beam phaser/vibrato, the Blues King (kind of a very versatile Blues Breaker) and the Yodeler, a delay & reverb. I use this board as a quick grab & go board for small amps, usually for playing outside when I don’t use the THR - I don’t find that it takes pedals all that well, but it sounds good on it’s own and has a few built in effects.

That board (my 4th one) worked really well with my Bugera T5, but specifically, the BK didn’t sound as good with the AC4 as it did with the Bugera. Part of the reason I think is that I didn’t play with it very long into the Vox and didn’t really mess with the settings, but also because before that, I had been playing my new Hotcake into the AC4s and that thing just sings with a Vox (or 2).

That Hotcake probably skewed my expectations a bit, and I just kept looking over at the Hotcake that I had just unplugged, and missed it more by the second.

I need to try messing with the settings on the BK a little more, and if i can’t get it to sound good enough with the Vox, just use that board with the Bugera, and I guess figure out how to make yet another board with the Hotcake and the Vibrovox tremolo as the base of it. Those 2 sound so great with the Voxes.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.