Everyone needs a stompbox.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Setup of the day

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 am

very striking
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:24 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYVxR9zhCrh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ifthoctave

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Enjoying this rig tonight. Squier Vi into my board through a Super Reverb. Excuse the mess

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:02 am

no pictures but signal chain was

squier bronco >> klone >> fal phase 100
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Enjoying a couple of recent trade acquisitions while I wait for bits to move for the day job:
The Guitars:
MP Coronado II - This one came into the shop on consignment and in the process of cleaning and setting it up a bit I fell in love and traded a '75 Ibanez 59er for it. I'm almost embarrassed at how much I'm loving every bit of this guitar. The only downsides are it's not particulary comfortable to play sitting on the end of the bed and the bridge bushings are a bit far back making me max out half the saddles on the widest range ToMs I've got. Just slapped the ABM 2400 roller bridge that was previously living on my Manta Ray on it today and the detail of the sounds are just killing me... I've never thought much of the Fidelitrons compared to HS Filtertrons or any variety of TV Jones but man are they great and amazingly versatile in this guitar.

Classic Series Esquire - Wound up swapping the Manta Ray for this one. It came pretty damn well hooked up already, w/ a nice steel bridge plate and burly brass compensated saddles, an amazing sounding blade pickup that I still haven't identified, an early Hipshot bender system w/ G & B benders and an extender on the low E, and one of the Toneshapers Esquire boards w/ 4 way switching under the hood for a really nice variety of sounds. I set it up for 10s and did a few cosmetic tweaks and will probably take a pass at sanding down the back of the neck and fretboard a bit at some point.

The Pedals:
guitar > TCE PolyTune Noir > JHS Morning Glory V4 > Wampler Tumnus > Zvex Sonar > Maxon AD80 > JRAD Boing > Lehle Dual > amp(s)

The Amp:
Vox AC4HW1

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:41 pm

my current "at home" setup: Boss RE 201 Space Echo and Fender Vaporizer - sadly it isn't played through the Bassman 2x15 Cab due to impedance mismatch. But the cab gets a new top soon! 1968 Fender Bandmaster non master volume, non reverb. hopefully this week!

my walnut wood effect board with removable bottom in a shabby looking vintage travel suitcase I found in our cellar. good to have a carpenter as a cousin.

guitar section:
Audio Event War Dance Overkill (Death By Audio Thee Fuzz War Overload Clone)
Blackout Effectors Fuzz Bear (Tone Bender with BIAS and SAG control)
Earthquaker Devices Acuapulco Gold (Sunn Model T in a box. Massive sound - maybe I'm going to move this one from my main board to my at home board)
Electro Harmonix Soul Food my booster.
Korg Tuner
Boss FRV-1 what else for surf (on a budget)?
Boss DD-7 with Footswitch to tap the tempo. well it's okay. kind of a Swiss army knife of delay - but somehow I wish I had the Boss RE 20 (Space Echo-pedal) instead because I mostly try to get similar sounds from it - and I guess I won't be taking the RE 201 to any live gigs or even to the rehearsal room. at least not very often.

vocal section:
Ibanez LF7 LoFi - it has a mic preamp built in so it's quite usable and combinable with other guitar effects. I use it to get telephone-like gritty driven vocals from it.
Ibanez DE7 Delay Echo - I have it for years. and I always use(d) the Echo mode. Just sounds way better! bough it for guitar - now I found out it also sounds great for garage-psychedelic vocals

Utinni!

my current substitute bench - seems as if I have to build myself a proper home-board soon!
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Cry Baby love the pedal - but there is some kind of volume loss going on that I haven't figured out yet - it especially occurs when played in combination (and in front of) anyone of my fuzzes - so it takes away every aspect of pronouncing a lead tone...
Voodoo Lab Super Fuzz nice sounding fuzz especially for the 60s Garage type of sound. Somehow sounds better with the Vaporizer than with my super sonic
Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar nice sounding pedal. But I just used it on one song - so it had to give up its space for others... once had the big box version of it - and happened to sell it two weeks after the purchase. maybe I wasn't ready for tremolo - or I'm still not...
Electro Harmonix Cathedral great versatile reverb. love the infinity switch but it always was a bit bitchy in combination with my T-Rex Fuel Tank junior. I always had a separate power supply which broke twice. Would work with the 1spot - but I already bought the FRV-1.
Boss GE-7 - I never was a EQ pedal guy. The EQ on the amp has to be enough. A former bandmate more or less forced me to buy one... to cut out some frequencies at the rehearsal room - now I can live happily without both of them. it's just too tone-coloring - maybe I get a mxr one day.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:Enjoying a couple of recent trade acquisitions while I wait for bits to move for the day job:
The Guitars:
MP Coronado II - This one came into the shop on consignment and in the process of cleaning and setting it up a bit I fell in love and traded a '75 Ibanez 59er for it. I'm almost embarrassed at how much I'm loving every bit of this guitar. The only downsides are it's not particulary comfortable to play sitting on the end of the bed and the bridge bushings are a bit far back making me max out half the saddles on the widest range ToMs I've got. Just slapped the ABM 2400 roller bridge that was previously living on my Manta Ray on it today and the detail of the sounds are just killing me... I've never thought much of the Fidelitrons compared to HS Filtertrons or any variety of TV Jones but man are they great and amazingly versatile in this guitar.

Classic Series Esquire - Wound up swapping the Manta Ray for this one. It came pretty damn well hooked up already, w/ a nice steel bridge plate and burly brass compensated saddles, an amazing sounding blade pickup that I still haven't identified, an early Hipshot bender system w/ G & B benders and an extender on the low E, and one of the Toneshapers Esquire boards w/ 4 way switching under the hood for a really nice variety of sounds. I set it up for 10s and did a few cosmetic tweaks and will probably take a pass at sanding down the back of the neck and fretboard a bit at some point.

The Pedals:
guitar > TCE PolyTune Noir > JHS Morning Glory V4 > Wampler Tumnus > Zvex Sonar > Maxon AD80 > JRAD Boing > Lehle Dual > amp(s)

The Amp:
Vox AC4HW1
Those AC4HW1s are great! I got one a while back and I really, really like it. It's a really dynamic amp that seems to be very sensitive to input levels.. It's like every guitar I plug into it brings out some completely different tone. Money well spent IMHO.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:38 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Those AC4HW1s are great! I got one a while back and I really, really like it. It's a really dynamic amp that seems to be very sensitive to input levels.. It's like every guitar I plug into it brings out some completely different tone. Money well spent IMHO.
I've been loving mine and totally agree re: the dynamics/responsiveness. It's got great saturated cleans and I think it nails the Top Boost sound I have in my head better than my AC30CCH. I got really lucky when I ran into mine priced way too low at the shop I road tripped to to get my SRZ65. I think they must have thought it was a regular old AC4, if it wasn't a Guitar Center I'd have almost felt guilty ;D

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:04 am

Add me to the list of AC4HW lovers. It's the only "British" amp I own now, and not only is it super responsive, it takes pedals really, really well.

Love the Esquire, too!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Jamming at the shop again this afternoon w/ the bass player using these:
The guitars:
Gretsch G5435 - Just picked this one up on Friday, as a pure lusty impulse buy. Had a spare TV Classic Plus/TV Classic pickup set, borrowed the chambered steel Compton bridge from my 5655, and put on a set of NYXL .010-.046s w/ a .018 wound G yesterday. It's sounding frickin great to me so far. It'll get a bone nut, a set of 18:1 Sta-tites, and a Pearloid truss rod cover eventually (and possibly the V cut Gretsch B3 and Towner tension bar from the 5655 at some point if I can get over how much I like the looks of the V stop tailpiece w/ the Compton). Planning to rewire it as well w/ a single volume closest to the bridge, a low pass/high pass tone stack, and replacing the master volume pot w/ a second toggle switch for pickups>.015uf> jack, pickups > jack, and pickups > vol/tone stack > jack (assuming it works out as planned). The action's pretty stout at the moment, but I'm thinking it should wind up pretty nice once I spend some time dialing it in w/ the new nut.

Classic Series Esquire

The pedals:
guitar> PolyTune Noir > Fat Boost FB-3 > bypass loop A [Katzenkonig > Double D > Klone V2] > bypass loop B [Instant Lo Fi Junky > Tap-a-whirl V2 > Ekko 616 MkII > Talisman] > Prestige > amp

Pretty goofy to have the whole board when all I wind up using 90% of the time is the tuner, the Fat Boost, and the Klone, but what you gonna do..... :fp: :-[

The amp:
Dr. Z Z28 > Brake lite > Dr. Z 2x10 w/ Z10s - it had been a minute since I'd fired this one up and today it reminded me in spades of why I need to hang onto it. My only complaint is that it starts getting trashy pretty darn quick once you get some volume going, but that's not so much of a problem most of the time and it's pretty glorious none the less.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 pm

im curious about the katzengoing (spelling mistake) how do you like it compared to something like a rat?

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 pm

It's pretty darn great IMO, definitely a favorite for moderate - heavy dirt.

IIRC, it supposed to essentially be a Tone Bender Mk II run into a Rat filter and output section. It does a great Vintage Rat-like jangly crunch into a clean amp w/ the gain knob fairly low and the input and output pushed a bit (usually how I use it), and sounds great dialed in fuzzier/huger pushing the Marshall/Orange/Vox type amps too. It's also got pretty nice dynamics and responds fairly well to picking/muting/volume manipulation to clean/dirty up.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Sid, I was wondering something. I know you've shown a few daily set-ups that have two separate boards. Do you ever run a splitter where one board (and gain) go to one amp, and another board goes to another? I've been toying with the idea of running two different gains into two different amps simultaneously, to see how it would sound. I know that two different amps can sound REALLY cool together, but have never tried it with different gains as well.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 pm

I used to split off to multiple amps off one board quite a bit and played around w/ stereo effects chains quite a bit. I wound up usually tending to like blending two amps that were somewhat similar in character when using them together(Vox-y/Marshall-y/Orange-y or Fender-y+Ampeg). I really like using a dirty and a clean amp one at a time to build my own 2 channel setup too. It started to feel like too much work to lug all the stuff around when 90% of what we were playing was on the dirty amp w/ just a boost driving it though ;)

I'm kind of planning to do what I think you're talking about w/ the ridiculously oversized setup for the music room at home I've been working on w/ the two big boards and the Keymaster to cross fade between them if I ever manage to finish it up (and it will fit in the room :D )

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:04 pm

That sounds EPIC! I've always liked the sound of wet-dry rigs, especially for delay and reverbs, but I always wondered what a wet-dry rig would sound like with one amp pure clean like you say, and the other with the gain as well. I may have to try that...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384