Not very happy with Line 6 right now.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Not very happy with Line 6 right now.

Post by cpeck » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:55 pm

So, my DL-4 sort of died a while ago.  Not died completely, but would lock up at random times and then refuse to turn on for anywhere from an hour to a few days.  Not proper, to say the least.

I sent it back to Line 6.  They sent it back to me, 'fixed'.  There is no record of what they've done with it or what was wrong.  Regardless, I was pretty happy to get it back.

Jam tonight:  30 minutes in, it starts doing the same effing thing it did before I sent it to them.  I call them up, rather pissed off, and get a pretty blunt guy on the phone saying 'sorry, you're from Canada, we can't help you'.

Gah.  I think I'll just save for a Moog delay.
Band: http://www.kestrels.ca | Record Label: http://www.noyesrecords.com | Solo: http://weneedsecrets.bandcamp.com

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Not very happy with Line 6 right now.

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:09 pm

that sux, I have heard bad things about thier customer service. luckily I have had no problems with mine. I got it used and have had it for 2 years now. I have been considering a backup now that I'll be playing out again. You might see if Robert Keeley has the parts to repair them as of yet. I know he does mods. http://www.robertkeeley.com/ Last I looked he was trying to get parts for repairs. Good luck!
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

stratatak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stratatak » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:47 pm

cpeck wrote:

Gah.  I think I'll just save for a Moog delay.
I'm dying to try one myself ..

It sux that your dl4 is acting up . I had one second hand , without any problems. I'm sure the majority of dl4's out there work just fine .

I thought my dl4 would work forever , partially due to the fact that i play barefoot and i just tapped it lightly . Something about stomping on  a dl4 , made me screech .

Also , I remember some people stating that the dl4 sholdn't be ran with a power supply thats running loads of other pedals, or something of that nature . But still I'm sure there were a bunch of dl4's that hit the market with probs from the factory ..

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:48 pm

before you throw it out there's a reset function that seems to work a lot of the times they act up.. I never had to use it but if you have the manual or do some searching around you should be able to find the info on this. worth a try..

also are you using the line6 adapter?  I've read that a lot of the problems people have with their DL4's are caused by using the wrong adapter

stratatak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stratatak » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:50 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: before you throw it out there's a reset function that seems to work a lot of the times they act up.. I never had to use it but if you have the manual or do some searching around you should be able to find the info on this. worth a try..

also are you using the line6 adapter?  I've read that a lot of the problems people have with their DL4's are caused by using the wrong adapter
Right on .. try to reset it ..

And if your not using a line6 adapter , try to get the GODLYKE Reverse Polarity (tip positive) Cable , made for line 6 modellers

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:54 pm

ok, just found this on another board.. worth a shot eh?

factory reset:

have power plugged in, hold the far left and far right switch and insert the input cable, the pedal should blink a couple times then kick on

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:35 am

I've heard lots of negative reviews of the DL-4.

Most of them involve switch failure, however.

I've been using a DD-20 for quick go-to delay sounds, and I've loved it.  It does have its limitations, but I prefer it to the DL-4.

It's a shame the fella isn't still churning out the cool old Way Huge boxes.  I may have made a mistake when I sold my Red Llama a few years ago...
...purple attics, purple helixes, vacuum cleaners, and cement.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:11 am

I agree with the guys...try resetting it first...reliability has been iffy on these, but when they do work, they sound pretty cool

:)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:02 am

honestly I think a lot of the reliability issues are the fault of the users assuming it's like a Boss pedal and you can stomp it to death and plug just about anything into it and it'll work. If they were built like tanks they'd be too expensive to produce to move as fast as they do.. which is the name of the game for Line6

I'm not saying this is the case with you cpeck, the quality is obviously not as high as it could or should be but I think some people make it much worse for themselves.. just something I've observed over the years with these pedals

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:10 am

daydreamdelay wrote: honestly I think a lot of the reliability issues are the fault of the users assuming it's like a Boss pedal and you can stomp it to death and plug just about anything into it and it'll work. If they were built like tanks they'd be too expensive to produce to move as fast as they do.. which is the name of the game for Line6

I agree...for example, I've owned a Zoom 3030 for a decade, and it still works flawlessly....I treat all my gear nicely in general...but especially multi-effects units.
Resident Spartan.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:35 am

daydreamdelay wrote: before you throw it out there's a reset function that seems to work a lot of the times they act up.. I never had to use it but if you have the manual or do some searching around you should be able to find the info on this. worth a try..

also are you using the line6 adapter?  I've read that a lot of the problems people have with their DL4's are caused by using the wrong adapter
To be onest I use the adapter of an old U.S. Robotics 56k modem..it seems to have less mA but it works fine from about a year..
I wonder how it could be sensible to heavy stompin'..it's a tank!!
That type of problem I believe are due from some malfunction of the CPU..maybe it has some overheating problem..nothing to do with stompin thought..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:55 am

if you ever seen the inside of one you'd know.. those switches are not what they appear

the case is solid but they cheaped out on the switches and it's one of the most voltage sensitive pedals I've come across.. those two areas seem to be where most problems arise

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:22 am

yeah the switchs are wacky, i notices that when i modded my DL-4 for the feedback loop.

I've been thinking some of it may have to do with what version you have? maybe? i have the one that says line 6 in the metal. but the ones i've seen that guitar center have a sticked that says line 6.

just a thought

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the responses.  It's definitely more of a 'glitchy' thing than a switch thing.  What happens is that a patch will get stuck on, the tap tempo light goes out and stays out, and the patch can't be changed/the pedal won't turn off unless you pull the power supply.  Not reliable at all, which sucks as this sweet pedal case just showed up today...

I've never used anything but the Line 6 power supply with it.  It's the version that has the Line 6 logo worked right into the casing (not a sticker).

I'll try the reset thing.  I think the thing that really cheeses me off is the arrogant idiot who answered the phone at Line 6.  Not good form for a company, methinks.
Band: http://www.kestrels.ca | Record Label: http://www.noyesrecords.com | Solo: http://weneedsecrets.bandcamp.com

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:58 pm

yeah that'd definitely sour me.. I absolutely cannot tolerate poor customer service  :-\

well hopefully the reset works out so if you decide to ditch it you won't lost much/any money