microphones through guitar pedal

Everyone needs a stompbox.
fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: microphones through guitar pedal

Post by fibreman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:01 am

I've had decent results with a plain old 58 going through pedals and amps and things, with just a straight XLR-Jack cable.

If you've got enough channels going spare, what about lining in your straight vocal/whatever and looping out to your effects, then you don't have to worry about the phantom or anything?  At least then if you're recording it you've still got the dry signal to play with/compare against.  For stage purposes my good buddy uses a 2 (independent) channel DI box so the engineer can send him his vocal back for some vocoder swishness, and the level between the two can be treated both by my esteemed colleague and by the engineer.

Reverb and delay are easy, although I always seemed to get quite a lot of signal noise, it might have just been the old pedal though (Boss DSD-2 from circa 1984).  If you're overdriving a vocal then you should watch out for sibilence (all those 'ssss' sounds)  Boss DS-1 sounds good for this, amp overdrive can be pretty good too.  Rapid chorus from a Boss CE-5 sounds quite robotic on a vocal.  The bit-crush effect from the old Dr Sample (Boss/Roland SP-303) is a winner too.

Maukio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maukio » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:00 pm

I saw the band HEALTH live not too long ago (http://www.myspace.com/healthmusic) and three of the four members have what they call "zoothorns", which are just mics going through their effects.  I couldn't tell about the other two, but the one I was closest to it looked like he just had some small little cheap mixer on his pedalboard.

I also suggest you watch this... http://media1.zvex.com/FLASH/BOM/bom_SM58/

COLLIDES
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by COLLIDES » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 pm

Yep.  I'd buy a small mixer (assuming you don't already have one) before I bought a REAMP.  The Reamp's are cool, but they are frickin costly for something that has a limited use.  Get a cheap, small mixer and use the sends.   :)

Thesmellofrain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Thesmellofrain » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 am

but what about when you have both your guitar and microphone running through the same set-up.
Is it possible to avoid feedback, since a microphone usually needs alot more gain than a guitar?
Bend & Release.