Webers $20 Texas Cattleprod kit (Dallas Rangemaster Clone)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Webers $20 Texas Cattleprod kit (Dallas Rangemaster Clone)

Post by pullover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:07 pm

What is it?
A revamp of the Dallas Rangemaster (treble booster). Everything you need to build it minus an LED and a case. Comes with some ugly white knobs and a battery.
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm
How Hard was it?
About a 2 on a scale from one to 10, because it doesn't tell you which direction the switch goes in, so you actually need your noggin.
You will need to know how to read resistors.
http://www.samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/4_b ... ge.en.html (for 5 or 6 band resistors click at the top)
You will need to bias the Ge Transistor, there are 5 different value resistors included to do this, I started with the middle value one 240K which sounded ok. I went down two resistors to 150k and the output went away. I moved up to 330k and it sounded good so I left it.
What's cool about it?
It's designed so you never have to unplug it. Just make sure that it's off when done using it, thats why an LED is useful.
It's sweet sixties rock sound in a box, when coupled with a slightly overdriven tube amp.
What sucks about it?
1. Since it's not on all the time there is a slight pop when switching it off. Not a big deal though and it would be really easy to modify it to stay on all the time, but as I put this together for my uncle, it's staying poppy. I will probably do that to the next one.
2. There is no LED, an easy fix. Just solder a 4.7k ohm resistor to an LED and connect that to the part on the board that I marked in Pink.
3. Eric "fucking Wonderful Tonight" Clapton used one of these. It's a drawback, granted he played with the Bluesbreakers at the time but his name will forever be attached to this bad ass pedal.
How does it sound?
It sounds really Chonky (that can't be a word) through my little '59 Gibsonette, which is basically a  Fender 5F2-A Princeton though don't let it hear you say that. It sounds great with chords, full definition from each note. I found myself playing "Sweet Jane" over and over, it just seemed like the thing to do. My Super Reverb sounded pretty sweet with it too, I was able to approximate the sound of my overdriven Gibsonette with it at medium volume, and I can't wait to play with this set up some more. I set the amp up as usual with the treble at 6, mids 3 and bass 3, then I cut the treble on the amp back a little to 4 so the amp was pretty beefy sounding, rattling the windows and all, then kicked in the pedal and got that crunchy Overdriven Amp sound that makes the girls scream and the guys hold up the devil horns. I would liken it to the Black Keys.
Single note runs sound like butter of course.  When used with my Russian Big Muff it sounded like a dirty Overdrive, it cleaned up the sound quite a bit. Basically it's a really warm sounding Overdrive with just a little dirt and lots of spank, the amount of grit you get is determined by the tube amps volume. When compared with a lighter single coil pickup, the pedal sounds weak. It needs a beefy soap bar pickup, but then again it was biased with a Jazzmaster. I could go up another resistor if I wanted to get more gain out of it for a lighter pickup.
It's also a little noisy, really slight hiss when on. Actually I would describe it as a shh... as in shush it's whispering.
How would I rate this project?
I would give it a 10 because, 1. It's cheap. 2. It's super easy. 3. It sounds good. 4. It was pretty fun to put together and there are options open for mods.

Attach LED lead to the post marked in Hot Pink. I flipped it over too so I could see what it looks like from the back (the soldering side).
Here it is with full Craptastic Paint and Boss style knobs.
Last edited by pullover on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Webers $20 Texas Cattleprod kit (Dallas Rangemaster Clone)

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Excellent .. seems like this might be a good start for someone who hasn't built pedals before (like me). I'm intrigued to hear it sounds good with the Super Reverb since people usually seem to use treble boosters with the darker amps and thus I've sort of avoided them since I use Fender amps quite a bit.

Brian May's name is attached to the Rangemaster even more firmly than Clapton's .. that partly makes up for it I think.

When biasing the Ge transistor .. could you wire in another pot to do that instead? That would give a bit more control over things (I think this is what Analogman does with their Sunface fuzzes to allow for temperature compensation but it also lets you tweak the sound).
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:10 pm

mezcalhead wrote: Brian May's name is attached to the Rangemaster even more firmly than Clapton's .. that partly makes up for it I think.
Of the two I prefer to mention Tony Yommy..he uses it in cooler way... 8)
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Do you mean Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath?

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:58 pm

mezcalhead wrote: When biasing the Ge transistor .. could you wire in another pot to do that instead? That would give a bit more control over things (I think this is what Analogman does with their Sunface fuzzes to allow for temperature compensation but it also lets you tweak the sound).
That is a great idea, one of those little potentiometers that you adjust with a jewelers screwdriver in series with a 150k ohm resistor would be perfect. Make sure you use the 150k ohm resistor with it, if you turn it down too low I think it could mess up the Transistor.

It's a great kit for a beginner, especially if you don't already have a booster pedal. This pedal plays well with others and sounds great on it's own.
If you want to sound more like Tony Iommi use a lower value resistor for R3 and buy an SG, and for cleaner Brian May sound use the higher value resistor there.

EDIT: Also I would get a socket for it, it doesn't come with one and they are cheap, and if you are soldering R3 in and out again the heat could mess up your transistor.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=147
Last edited by pullover on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:18 pm

rangemasters are great! i love mine. it nails the brian may sound on most any amp. seems like it only boosts the sweet frequencies, and leaves out the ones you don´t want. smooth and crisp at the same time. :-*
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:42 pm

My BYOC Ultimate Fuzz has a pot for a bias resistor.  Check out the build info here:

http://buildyourownclone.com/fuzzinstructions.pdf
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:11 am

pullover wrote: That is a great idea, one of those little potentiometers that you adjust with a jewelers screwdriver in series with a 150k ohm resistor would be perfect. Make sure you use the 150k ohm resistor with it, if you turn it down too low I think it could mess up the Transistor.

It's a great kit for a beginner, especially if you don't already have a booster pedal. This pedal plays well with others and sounds great on it's own.
If you want to sound more like Tony Iommi use a lower value resistor for R3 and buy an SG, and for cleaner Brian May sound use the higher value resistor there.

EDIT: Also I would get a socket for it, it doesn't come with one and they are cheap, and if you are soldering R3 in and out again the heat could mess up your transistor.
I was actually thinking of an external pot .. that's how the Sunface is done, anyway. When you say R3 do you mean the bias resistor we're talking about substituting a pot for? They're not labelled on the schematic above.

Sockets .. would allow you to swap out transistors? That could get deep into real anorak territory!

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:22 am

mezcalhead wrote: I was actually thinking of an external pot .. that's how the Sunface is done, anyway. When you say R3 do you mean the bias resistor we're talking about substituting a pot for? They're not labelled on the schematic above.

Sockets .. would allow you to swap out transistors? That could get deep into real anorak territory!
R3 is the bias resistor (sorry, I wasn't clear. The schematics are on his site https://taweber.powweb.com/store/texas_schem.jpg ), and I think I would do it as the external pot like you spoke of. That's the center knob thats painted on the sun-face right?

I got the NPN transistor version and you could easily switch it out with any NPN. To make the board for a PNP transistor you would just turn the two 47uf capacitors the other direction and switch the positive and the negative at the battery terminal. If you had an LED you would need to turn it around too. There are guys on the Weber website that were talking about putting Mullard OC44's in theirs and the superior sound quality they got.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:07 am

pullover wrote: That's the center knob thats painted on the sun-face right?
Yes, I believe so. It can vary the sound noticeably, although it's still a fuzzface-type of sound (no fuzz factory weirdness there).