Everyone needs a stompbox.
GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best version of the BD-2

Post by GreenKnee » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:54 am

thenewromance wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:28 am
Have fun! The ODR-1 is an interesting pedal. I especially liked the classic rock sound I got from putting a Maxon TS-808 in front.
Thanks, I do prefer the ODR-1 to the BD-2. It's fuller sounding and less fizzy even with more gain cranked on. The low gain of the ODR-1 is very open sounding and not too compressed which I like a lot, the higher gain sound is also pretty good, a bit too 'modern' for my tastes but I have that base covered with Keeley Filaments. The lack of bass cut is a big plus for me. The big downside of the ODR-1 is that it doesn't cleanup with my volume knob or Lehle volume pedal which I find very strange. It just gets quieter and more muffled. I think I'll take this to my next practice to try at proper volume but the lack of cleanup could well be a deal-breaker.

The BD-2 is quite fizzy, at least in my setup, and the overall sound of the overdrive isn't to my taste unfortunately. Quite a lot of low end disappeared which I know is common in overdrives but I tend to avoid overdrives that do it as my Jags through a Twin Reverb really benefit from not having the bass cut at all. Even with the gain at 0 there was a noticeable amount of overdrive and colouration (I run my signal hot so this will bring more drive out of pedals earlier) but it reacts nicely to both the volume pedal and volume pot.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:07 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:54 am
Thanks, I do prefer the ODR-1 to the BD-2. It's fuller sounding and less fizzy even with more gain cranked on. The low gain of the ODR-1 is very open sounding and not too compressed which I like a lot, the higher gain sound is also pretty good, a bit too 'modern' for my tastes but I have that base covered with Keeley Filaments. The lack of bass cut is a big plus for me. The big downside of the ODR-1 is that it doesn't cleanup with my volume knob or Lehle volume pedal which I find very strange. It just gets quieter and more muffled. I think I'll take this to my next practice to try at proper volume but the lack of cleanup could well be a deal-breaker.

The BD-2 is quite fizzy, at least in my setup, and the overall sound of the overdrive isn't to my taste unfortunately. Quite a lot of low end disappeared which I know is common in overdrives but I tend to avoid overdrives that do it as my Jags through a Twin Reverb really benefit from not having the bass cut at all. Even with the gain at 0 there was a noticeable amount of overdrive and colouration (I run my signal hot so this will bring more drive out of pedals earlier) but it reacts nicely to both the volume pedal and volume pot.
Well, you use a KTR a lot, right? That will make the ODR-1 a much more familiar sound to your ears (mid-focused) whereas the Blues Driver is flatter. I'll agree the BD-2 is definitely pretty fizzy if you have the tone knob anywhere past about 11 o'clock. I think mine is set about 8-9 o'clock with a JM or Tele and that's still plenty bright.

I like the BD-2's bass roll-off for it's practicality in a band context as it keeps my guitar tone out of the way of the bass and kick in the low end mix, at home it is a bit thinner sounding but my ears are used to it now.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:08 pm

JSett wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:07 pm
I use a KTR as an always on boost right at the end to push my Twin's preamp as hard as possible without having to crank the volume too hard. It does give the nice slight mid boost colour of the KTR at all times. I feel like the ODR-1 doesn't have a pronounced midrange but is actually pretty full frequency which is a nice change from the norm - I'm not sure if this is by design or just what I'm hearing.

Yeah I get that most people appreciate the bass cut of ODs but I have my amp EQ'd to do this already for my clean sound so anything cutting bass makes me drop out quite a bit.

To be fair I'll take both out to practice and see how each performs at proper volumes through a loud amp - at home I'm going through an Iridium with headphones which I've setup to sound and react as close to my Twin as possible (with pretty convincing results) but obviously is far from a perfect match.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:30 pm

Gotcha.

I definitely found the BD-2 to come into its own in a band context (as a lot of Boss overdrives tend to do). I'll be interested to see what you think after a field test

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:02 am

JSett wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:30 pm
So after testing them out at band volumes I came to the somewhat disappointing, but affirming, conclusion that I had it right the first time with the JAM Lucydreamer.
The BD-2 was too fizzy and I couldn't get the gain low enough due to how much I boost my signal straight from the guitar. The bass cut was also a tad too severe for what I'm after.
ODR-1 sounds great but the fact that I can't get it to clean up with either my volume knob nor my volume pedal makes it unusable for my needs.

The Lucydreamer can go from the most natural, tiny amount of drive and compression up to a big boosted crunchy monster. I think it's sound is quite klon-like and full bodied and so this is probably why I gravitate towards it over other types of OD.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:58 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:02 am
JSett wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:30 pm
So after testing them out at band volumes I came to the somewhat disappointing, but affirming, conclusion that I had it right the first time with the JAM Lucydreamer.
The BD-2 was too fizzy and I couldn't get the gain low enough due to how much I boost my signal straight from the guitar. The bass cut was also a tad too severe for what I'm after.
ODR-1 sounds great but the fact that I can't get it to clean up with either my volume knob nor my volume pedal makes it unusable for my needs.

The Lucydreamer can go from the most natural, tiny amount of drive and compression up to a big boosted crunchy monster. I think it's sound is quite klon-like and full bodied and so this is probably why I gravitate towards it over other types of OD.
This actually isn't that much of a surprise. A Klon (which I know you use regularly) is a totally different beast and I had the exact reaction you had to the BD when I first plugged one in with my rig. The Klon sounded weird and muddy where I'm used to a bright spiky sound. I like the bass cut so I don't accidentally step on the basses toes with frequencies and, playing in a 3 piece, I like the bass to occupy all that territory sonim free to jangle all over the top.

I also use my BD-2 as a dirty boost more than anything and find it compliments my Bassman very well. And I don't stack drives, I only have one dirt pedal in the band setup.

Vive La Difference!

At least if you don't want to keep it you can sell it pretty easily.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:52 pm

In the pursuit of my all-Boss board, I'm revisiting the BD-2. I had one for years, and stupidly got rid of it to start pursuing more boutique style pedals (money was MUCH tighter in those days, and I *had* to sell one pedal to afford another). I had a Keeley-modded BD-2 and thought it was great, but now neither Keeley nor Analogman sell new-modded BD-2s, since the components have gotten smaller and harder to work on. I've heard rumors that the Waza version was based on the Keeley mods, but was curious if anyone knew? I don't necessarily care about that as it is, but I always loved how it was slightly fuzzy sounding with the gain all the way up. Anyone who's got a BD-2w know if they still do that, in either standard or custom mode?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:00 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:52 pm
In the pursuit of my all-Boss board, I'm revisiting the BD-2. I had one for years, and stupidly got rid of it to start pursuing more boutique style pedals (money was MUCH tighter in those days, and I *had* to sell one pedal to afford another). I had a Keeley-modded BD-2 and thought it was great, but now neither Keeley nor Analogman sell new-modded BD-2s, since the components have gotten smaller and harder to work on. I've heard rumors that the Waza version was based on the Keeley mods, but was curious if anyone knew? I don't necessarily care about that as it is, but I always loved how it was slightly fuzzy sounding with the gain all the way up. Anyone who's got a BD-2w know if they still do that, in either standard or custom mode?
I'm pretty sure the Keely Super Phat Mod is basically his own branded version of a modded Blues Driver, if you wanted to try there first.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:05 am

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:00 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Keely Super Phat Mod is basically his own branded version of a modded Blues Driver, if you wanted to try there first.
It probably sounds great, but I'm looking for a Boss-specific overdrive. I've got plenty of overdrives that I'm happy with and not looking for anything else outside of putting together an all-Boss board. And I loved my old modded BD-2 from them, but I don't have it anymore, and they don't mod them anymore. Getting a used Keeley-modded BD-2 is near $300, and I don't want to spend that either.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:45 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:05 am
Jonesie wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
It probably sounds great, but I'm looking for a Boss-specific overdrive. I've got plenty of overdrives that I'm happy with and not looking for anything else outside of putting together an all-Boss board. And I loved my old modded BD-2 from them, but I don't have it anymore, and they don't mod them anymore. Getting a used Keeley-modded BD-2 is near $300, and I don't want to spend that either.
Totally missed that part. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Sorry!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:35 am

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:45 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:05 am
Jonesie wrote:
Totally missed that part. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Sorry!
No worries dude! I'm half awake after work myself :)

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:43 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
My understanding is that the BD-2w Waza mode is distinct from the Keeley phat mod. If you can get your hands on an older through-hole component BD-2, are handy with a soldering iron and eager to kill an hour, there are schems floating around for the Keeley mod likely at the cost of a fiver or less in parts. I’d imagine DIY Keeley mod BD-2s pop up at least every now and then on Reverb if you’d rather something plug n play.

Unsolicited advice, but as someone who recently went down a BD-2 rabbit hole, I didn’t find a vast world of difference between a BD-2 with the Keeley mod and a newer stock unit. Have you tried a stock BD-2? If not, you might try seeing how that works for you—IME it’s a pretty great sounding circuit as designed and a stock one will still get plenty fuzzy toward the end of the gain range. You could always get an older/more easily moddable BD-2, see how you like it stock and mod it to Keeley specs if it’s sounding lacking compared to your old modded one [though expectation/recall bias can be a bastard in these situations ;) ]