What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3763
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:06 pm

I dusted off the S/T Stone Roses album and b-sides and now I have a raging case of Fuzz Face GAS.

Image

Most folks believe this is a silicon model (possibly a Crest Audio built one with BC109C transistors). I've checked out some demos and it definitely sounds like it. Loud and proud and it seems like it's even a bit brighter with the guitar volume rolled down. Anything in that general tonal ballpark would be fine though.

What have you all used and liked? Did you go old school or get a modern pedalboard-friendly thing? Did you buy or build?

I'm primarily a single coil player, use 1x12 Fenderesque amps, and play indie rock and Americana-type stuff. Not looking for a doomy variant in other words.

User avatar
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2308
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:37 am

you should try the axis circuit. kind of splits the difference between si/ge fuzz faces

User avatar
HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by HH1978 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:25 am

I had a BC183 Sunface that I liked a lot.

User avatar
del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:57 am
Location: rusted jack-knife

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by del » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:31 am

The currently in-production JH-F1 Fuzz Face is a BC108 silicon model that sounds fantastic! I like it enough that a guts shot of mine is my id-photo here on OSG at the moment.

I have three Fuzz Faces, two 1990s (I think) germanium models and this silicon one which I strongly prefer. It's a bit spittier and sharper at it's top setting, but rolls back aok on the occasion where that is needed.

I also have a small-box Fulltone 70s Fuzz, which is a silicon fuzz face circuit with an added "mids" tone control on the outside and a "bias" trim pot on the inside. It's ok, but even at the lowest setting, the added "mids" smooth things out more than in my Fuzz Face. It's still a good pedal - that would be better with the "bias" knob on the outside which would make shaping the sound much easier - but I find myself using the JH-F1 Fuzz Face almost all the time. And I very much like the aesthetics of the big round pedal!

I hope this is helpful.
~del
The Fall – The Bad Seeds - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3763
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 am

del wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:31 am
The currently in-production JH-F1 Fuzz Face is a BC108 silicon model that sounds fantastic! I like it enough that a guts shot of mine is my id-photo here on OSG at the moment.

I have three Fuzz Faces, two 1990s (I think) germanium models and this silicon one which I strongly prefer. It's a bit spittier and sharper at it's top setting, but rolls back aok on the occasion where that is needed.

I also have a small-box Fulltone 70s Fuzz, which is a silicon fuzz face circuit with an added "mids" tone control on the outside and a "bias" trim pot on the inside. It's ok, but even at the lowest setting, the added "mids" smooth things out more than in my Fuzz Face. It's still a good pedal - that would be better with the "bias" knob on the outside which would make shaping the sound much easier - but I find myself using the JH-F1 Fuzz Face almost all the time. And I very much like the aesthetics of the big round pedal!

I hope this is helpful.
~del
Yeah, I like the look and sound of that the best of all the current reissues. Spittier and sharper is definitely what I have in mind, and I like the old school look.

I'll have some pedals later in the chain that can bump mids if needed. Do you find yourself tweaking the bias on the JH-F1 often?

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3763
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 am

HH1978 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:25 am
I had a BC183 Sunface that I liked a lot.
If I decide to spend real money on this a Sun Face is a top contender for sure. I like that they have the option to trim the level hitting the pedal. I have never been a guitar volume rider, so that would be nice in the event I can't get the hang of it.

User avatar
del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:57 am
Location: rusted jack-knife

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by del » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:26 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 am

Yeah, I like the look and sound of that the best of all the current reissues. Spittier and sharper is definitely what I have in mind, and I like the old school look.

I'll have some pedals later in the chain that can bump mids if needed. Do you find yourself tweaking the bias on the JH-F1 often?
I run my Fuzz Face into another distortion/fuzz pedal (currently a Red Llama) so that I can switch on/off a mid-boost just as you describe. And I've found that the JH-F1 combines well with all sorts of other pedals.

The JH-F1 doesn't have an internal bias trim pot (or at least mine doesn't, perhaps newer editions do). I've never felt the need for one, though, as it's quite spitty out of the box and if I want to smooth out my fuzz, I just engage that second distortion pedal on its own.
The Fall – The Bad Seeds - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3763
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:57 am

del wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:26 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 am

Yeah, I like the look and sound of that the best of all the current reissues. Spittier and sharper is definitely what I have in mind, and I like the old school look.

I'll have some pedals later in the chain that can bump mids if needed. Do you find yourself tweaking the bias on the JH-F1 often?
I run my Fuzz Face into another distortion/fuzz pedal (currently a Red Llama) so that I can switch on/off a mid-boost just as you describe. And I've found that the JH-F1 combines well with all sorts of other pedals.

The JH-F1 doesn't have an internal bias trim pot (or at least mine doesn't, perhaps newer editions do). I've never felt the need for one, though, as it's quite spitty out of the box and if I want to smooth out my fuzz, I just engage that second distortion pedal on its own.
Cool. I've been leaning more old school in my search, just because I feel like once you start adding too many tweaks it stops being what it is.

Another option I'm considering is having Seeker build me one to the Crest Audio specs. That would mean no saucer enclosure, but I have a enclosure artwork concept in mind. 8)

User avatar
del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:57 am
Location: rusted jack-knife

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by del » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:57 am

Cool. I've been leaning more old school in my search, just because I feel like once you start adding too many tweaks it stops being what it is.

Another option I'm considering is having Seeker build me one to the Crest Audio specs. That would mean no saucer enclosure, but I have a enclosure artwork concept in mind. 8)
The Crest Audio option would be cool!

Saucer enclosures come up for sale often enough that I'd bet you could find one. Or buy an inexpensive/non-working FF and then see if Seeker would repair and mod it to Crest Audio specs.

I really like the look and feel of a Fuzz Face saucer underfoot. It's not practical as something that sits on most pedal boards, but it can work just fine with a simple layout on the floor. And even with a pedal board, it's sensible to imagine it being the first pedal in a layout, sitting off to the side on the floor and feeding into the rest of a setup.
The Fall – The Bad Seeds - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

User avatar
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods
Posts: 12318
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Tarzana, CA

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Yes John used a Crest Audio version. I had one and I regret selling it years ago. I bought another one later on and it didn't sound as good. I then built my own with a Pigeon FX board and put it inside a Dunlop FF I got for $40 a few years ago. It came out amazing. BC109s are my favorite.
It's a very simple ckt to build. No need to spend big $$ on a FF.

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:33 pm

The real deal was for sale not long ago:

https://reverb.com/item/22089590-stone ... pedal-2000

User avatar
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods
Posts: 12318
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Tarzana, CA

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:44 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:33 pm
The real deal was for sale not long ago:

https://reverb.com/item/22089590-stone ... pedal-2000
That's just the Hendrix BC108 model. You can get one of those dirt cheap.

User avatar
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2308
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:50 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:33 pm
The real deal was for sale not long ago:

https://reverb.com/item/22089590-stone ... pedal-2000
are you kidding me with that price? :fp: pretty sure that shop is not a good place, if the people behind it are who i think they are.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3763
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:13 pm

DIY isn’t off the table, but it isn’t my first choice just because of lack of available time and probability of screwing it up.

I don’t want to spend silly money though. Ideally well under $200.

User avatar
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm
Location: Sydney, Straya

Re: What's yer favorite silicon Fuzz Face?

Post by JVG » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:15 pm

For a “spittier and sharper” fuzz face style pedal i’d definitely go with bc108 or 109 rather than 183.

My favourites in this area are the Fulltone 70 (perhaps not a popular choice at the moment) and the Solidgoldfx If 6 was 9. I can easily get authentic silicon FF sounds From both of these, and they offer some tonal sculpting without getting crowded with knobs.

I’d also recommend checking out the Catalinbread Karma Suture. It’s not strictly a FF clone, but will do those sounds plus a fair bit more. It’s a very diverse pedal, but perhaps not as intuitive to use as the other two i mentioned.

Cheers!
J.

Post Reply