RIP Fulltone

Everyone needs a stompbox.
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: RIP Fulltone

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 am

Gotta love the corny boomer TGP types raging at GuitarCenter in the twitter comments.
They were going to spend tens of thousands of dollars!!!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:26 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 am

And I'm gonna say something in support of Sweetwater, here. He gave to Mike Pence, the governor at the time. Recall about 10 years ago when Target found itself the subject of outrage for "donating to an anti lgbt group". In both cases, their donations were passed along from the entities they donated to. And in both cases, they gave (and give) to politicians on both sides of the aisle. It's pay to play, and this is standard practice for basically every company in America that makes a lot of money and has more than 50 employees or so. So if you want to boycott a company for that kind of wishy washy corruption-lite, by all means do. There's nothing wrong with that. Just do your research and be consistent.

But as someone who's supposedly on the losing end of these donations, here's what *I* find to be a meaningful metric for what a company's values actually are: Their HR policies and whom they actually hire. Sweetwater is in Indiana. You can't get much more "legally allowed to discriminate" than you can in Indiana. And Sweetwater is a conspicuously equal opportunity hirer in a sea of homo and transphobic racist white people. So give that some consideration, as well. His company may be one of the safest spaces in Ft. Wayne for minorities to work, and that's not something I'd be hasty to attack. From all accounts I've heard, he's an outstanding employer who provides excellent benefits, and I think we all know what they're like to do business again. I don't like that he plays the corporate favoritism game, but all things considered, I'm fine with overlooking it.
Can confirm here from firsthand experience. Obviously it's not a perfect situation but Sweetwater does a lot of good in Fort Wayne and has a great culture from what I've witnessed.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:02 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:00 am
Dang it, I have his stereo tremolo and I don’t want to find an alternative. I have looked and it really fits the bill the best. Dang it.
I wouldn’t sell it. As for other products, just buy from the used market if it’s something that you really want.That’s money that was already spent to the manufacturer, and so the products have now been “laundered”, in my opinion. It doesn’t go to the manufacturer.

I don’t knowingly support asshole companies, but I’ve bought some pedals either directly or indirectly without knowing their political aspects. I don’t feel that I’m overly naive, but I really didn’t think that too many owners and companies would have right leaning tendencies or support them, since very often, with music being an art, a great many musicians are more left leaning, and people/companies should know their customer base.

I bought 2 of the Supatrem stereo tremolos and a Mas Malo pedal directly from Fulltone, and a JHS Colourbox from a dealer. I love them all and I’m keeping them, because they’re great pedals, and the money was already spent, however blindly it may have been at the time. Everybody has to learn, it doesn’t say in the product description that purchasing their product props up authoritarian regimes or discriminatory movements.

The advantage is that you can buy used, which hopefully is cheaper anyway (especially right now, I guess) and that funds the owner of the pedal with new money to spend somewhere else. Or, possibly buy something else that’s similar, if another company makes one good and similar enough, there are so many builders now.

There are ways around things, and as was posted above, tape can be your friend if it really becomes a sticking point.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:35 pm

Another one bites the dust ... Fender CS builder John Cruz ...
https://www.gearnews.com/has-fender-sac ... john-cruz/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Ugh, I'd heard the name but he really looks like a dildo. Like the kind of guy who thinks Gene Simmons the person is a really cool dude.

Couldn't see the post in question, but I'm just gonna take the contents of the book on faith since the cover is lame as hell. Fuck that guy.
This is an excellent rectangle

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:46 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 am
Gotta love the corny boomer TGP types raging at GuitarCenter in the twitter comments.
They were going to spend tens of thousands of dollars!!!
Luckily, I haven’t seen any of that, but that seems about right. So it seems like between the 2 schools of “political opinion”, some people will be propping up some companies on one side, and the others will be propping up the other companies.

I guess all builders are going to have to choose a side now, and put it out there as a statement, and plant their flag on a hill.

Interesting times.
-David

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:50 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:46 pm
I guess all builders are going to have to choose a side now, and put it out there as a statement, and plant their flag on a hill.
??? Or they could just...not?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:04 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:50 pm
somanytoys wrote:
They could choose not to, but some people will take that how they want as well. The “if you’re not openly with us, you’re against us” mentality.
-David

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:13 am

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:04 pm
andy_tchp wrote:
somanytoys wrote:
They could choose not to, but some people will take that how they want as well. The “if you’re not openly with us, you’re against us” mentality.
Maybe? I mean Boss is keeping quiet and I'm not wasting any thought worrying about them because of it. I think it's more just like... people can't just say shit and expect other people aren't going to hold them accountable for it. Like, that age of the internet is coming to a close for people who interact with others on a business level. Frankly, it's a great tool to have because otherwise (and granted, Fulltone is too small to have this issue) these massive companies basically just do whatever and interfere with government unimpeded, so having a tool that can swiftly bring their fortunes down on something embarrassing is essential, if you ask me.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:19 am

timtam wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:35 pm
Good riddance.

Fucking asshole.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:30 am

what a bellend :fp:

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:42 am

Telliot wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:19 am
timtam wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:35 pm
Good riddance.

Fucking asshole.
he looks like the stereotypical boomer that wanted to be a rock star and complains "kids nowadays need to stop listening to rap, it's not real music, all they talk about is guns and girls" while listening to ted nugent
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:15 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:13 am
somanytoys wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:

Maybe? I mean Boss is keeping quiet and I'm not wasting any thought worrying about them because of it. I think it's more just like... people can't just say shit and expect other people aren't going to hold them accountable for it. Like, that age of the internet is coming to a close for people who interact with others on a business level. Frankly, it's a great tool to have because otherwise (and granted, Fulltone is too small to have this issue) these massive companies basically just do whatever and interfere with government unimpeded, so having a tool that can swiftly bring their fortunes down on something embarrassing is essential, if you ask me.
I’m pretty sure that Boss US is owned by the Japanese parent company, and they may decide not to take a stance on a primarily American issue, though it seems to have gone global.

It was all just speculation based on what we’ve read on this thread, what’s been posted in other forums by musicians (on both sides of the issue) and lots of other places on the web, as well as the companies of all stripes that are rushing to put some kind of statement out there.

Some are not, and that’s their business. Whether that will be good or bad, time will tell.
-David

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:46 pm

yeah I have a friend in Japan. Culturally, they're very non-confrontational... according to him and he is Japanese.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:15 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:13 am
somanytoys wrote:

I’m pretty sure that Boss US is owned by the Japanese parent company, and they may decide not to take a stance on a primarily American issue, though it seems to have gone global.

It was all just speculation based on what we’ve read on this thread, what’s been posted in other forums by musicians (on both sides of the issue) and lots of other places on the web, as well as the companies of all stripes that are rushing to put some kind of statement out there.

Some are not, and that’s their business. Whether that will be good or bad, time will tell.
Maybe the difference is that Boss pretty much exclusively mass-produces utilitarian products at a generally affordable price point, as opposed to all those 'boutique' builders whose products are perceived as being very, very special, partly as a rationalisation for their hefty price tickets.

Those 'special' pedal suppliers may feel more inclined to justify themselves at this time.