Everyone needs a stompbox.
elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fuzzy drive pedals that are not fuzz pedals

Post by elektrovac » Tue May 26, 2020 10:43 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 pm
I just watched the Double Standard demo.

Then I checked out the Wine & Roses.

Really like the germanium sound a lot on both, but the left side/stacking on the R&W is more to my taste. That and a clean boost would cover a lot of territory for me. Damn nice sounding pedal.
Thanks a lot :-)

The only difference between the left side at the Wine and Roses and the Double Standard is the opamp (LM308 in the W&R versus LM741 in the DS). Same difference at the germanium side (right), but at the DS I removed the extended low-end frequency response from this side because I found it could be a little muddy sounding. Personally I prefer the sound of the Double Standard. But then again, all these things depends so much on the guitar and amp you are using - and personal preference/taste.

Btw. the left side (Old Black Show) can easily be set-up as a clean boost, just dial the dirt control down. It's a very flexible pedal that sounds good at both subtle overdrive and big distortion settings

(Both circuits are evolutions of the MXR Distortion+, the LM741 being the "correct" opamp)
Last edited by elektrovac on Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johno » Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 am

I like the end of the dial on MXR Dist + / Dod 250 for fuzzy overdrive.....
I'd also recommend the Deluxe Big Muff as it has loads of eq options.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 am

elektrovac wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:43 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 pm
I just watched the Double Standard demo.

Then I checked out the Wine & Roses.

Really like the germanium sound a lot on both, but the left side/stacking on the R&W is more to my taste. That and a clean boost would cover a lot of territory for me. Damn nice sounding pedal.
Thanks a lot :-)

The only difference between the left side at the Wine and Roses and the Double Standard is the opamp (LM308 in the W&R versus LM741 in the DS). Same difference at the germanium side (right), but at the DS I removed the extended low-end frequency response from this side because I found it could be a little muddy sounding. Personally I prefer the sound of the Double Standard. But then again, all these things depends so much on the guitar and amp you are using - and personal preference/taste.

Btw. the right side can easily be set-up as a clean boost, just dial the dirt control down. It's a very flexible pedal that sounds good at both subtle overdrive and big distortion settings

(Both circuits are evolutions of the MXR Distortion+, the LM741 being the "correct" opamp)
Cool. On closer listening I do slightly prefer the germanium side of the Double Standard. The Germanium Dirt is too much bass for me.

All really nice sounding in their way though. You’ve got great ears for this stuff.