Everyone needs a stompbox.
kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Guitar Sound - Pale Saints

Post by kgbAttack » Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:41 pm
Damn, haven’t seen that setup before. Talk about using what you’ve got at hand to great effect, especially the broken feedback pedal in the notes.

I also hated the DS-1, never tried an SD-1, never tried an HM-2.

Love the (modded) BD-2, especially in a band setting. Without the mod it seems a bit thin to me. From reviews, it seems like Boss finally fixed that with the waza (haven’t tried one).

I just got the Hotcake, been wanting one for a long time, but there’s been a flood of pedals in the past decade that the gas for it got lost in. I haven’t played it enough yet, but so far I like it a lot with my AC4.
You have the Keeley SD-1, correct? Just asking because to my ears, the DS-1 and the DS-1 Keeley sounded fundamentally different - I disliked the standard DS-1 a lot at that time but was impressed with the Keeley DS-1. Even if these guys had Boss pedals, would there be a way to know if they were modded or not? :unsure:

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Sat May 02, 2020 6:49 am

Well, my DS-1 arrived today and I am kicking myself all over as it is the right pedal, I think. It also does the sheets of chilly white noise thing that I have wondered about for years. It's all very odd as I was playing back then (in nothing terribly successful) and had it in my head that Boss pedals were crap apart from the tremolo, delay and chorus. I even used the guy from Ride's amp when we supported them on their first tour and took absolutely nothing in it seems - possibly because the amp sounded shit with my stuff going through it! Anyway, another mystery solved - and another piece of equipment bought - thanks to the OSG!

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat May 02, 2020 7:29 am

Cool.

I imagine the Jaguar bridge pickup into a DS-1 would make a chilly sheet of white noise. Especially into a Vox amp. I know my Rickenbacker made a nice “blizzard of nails” sound.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 am

kgbAttack wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 am
You have the Keeley SD-1, correct? Just asking because to my ears, the DS-1 and the DS-1 Keeley sounded fundamentally different - I disliked the standard DS-1 a lot at that time but was impressed with the Keeley DS-1. Even if these guys had Boss pedals, would there be a way to know if they were modded or not? :unsure:
No,I only have the Keeley Blues Driver. I would imagine the Keeley DS-1 is about as far a step up in sound as that can get.

I got a DS-1, and probably should have gone with Keeley or the person that did my other Blues Driver mod (EDNP) to do the mod on that one. Maybe I would have liked it a lot better.

I think the only way to know if any of theirs were modded would be if they said it in an interview, or if it was obvious on sight, like the older BD-2 Keeley mod - you know it when you see it, or the little labels he & Analog Man put on them. But they did mention the defect in the feedback pedal that they liked and used in the graphic above, so it seems like they’re pretty open about details.

It doesn’t seem like there were a lot of people modding pedals back then, I mostly remember Keeley and Analog Mike way back then, although I’m sure there were others.

There’s also the thing where people that tour want to make sure that if anything breaks, they can replace it pretty easily and get the same sounds, almost anywhere they are. Having stock, big name pedals (Boss, Ibanez, DOD, MXR) makes that easier to do on the road, especially years ago.

But I still like the idea of making a good thing better.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.