BS/SS - mini vs F*ck

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

BS/SS - mini vs F*ck

Post by somanytoys » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Anybody have both or have compared these 2 pedals together, or even separately?

I played a mini at a friend’s house with my bass, and I liked it. I just broke down and bought one.

Not that I think I won’t like it, but how much difference is there between the 2, and any advantages to either one over the other?
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: BS/SS - mini vs F*ck

Post by parry » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Have had both since about when they came out. Neither are currently on my board.
Both sound fantastic with bass (especially bass) and guitar. Different voicings, different types of distortion. The F*ck is great because the crackle and broken is on a switch and you can bring it in/out using your foot. The bias knob is great on the Mini if you're setting it and forgetting about it. It gives that pedal a much greater/versatile range of overdrive/distortion/fuzz-ish sounds. The Mini can get very broken-sounding, but the F*ck has a distinct spatter and crackle to it. To me... there's nothing "majestic" about the straight overdrive/distortion sounds of either that are a MUST-HAVE, that you can't get close to anywhere else - what makes them unique is the broken sounds. And with that, I guess it depends on how mangled you want your sound. If the answer is very - get both - use them at the same time.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Brian from SS/BS:

“there will be very slight variations from the range of sweep on the bias knob since i set each one up by hand with a two step process - first with a multimeter, then by ear.

the mini has a tad bit more bass than the fuck. adding the bass control to the fuck messes with the crackle control more than i'd like which is why i have chosen to omit it. they've obviously the same pedal at the core, but i think they're capable of pretty different things.”

Basically they’re the same pedal, but the Mini has the bias knob instead of the foot switch and toggle to engage the broken sound and the Fuck has no bass control, just a ‘highs’ knob.
The Cherry Wave

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:41 pm

Great info, thanks to both of you. I think that answers my question well.

I'm not too big on changing settings on the fly, I find a setting that I like, and just swap the pedals in & out with controllers.

The mini sounds like it would be more useful for bass with the bass control knob, so I'll probably lean towards using it with bass. It's not like I don't already have enough dirt pedals for bass or guitar, I was just looking for something a little "different", and those 2 seem to get a lot of love.

It sounded good through my TS 25B, so I would think that it should also sound good through the Rusty Box. I'm hoping it plays nice with a lot of amps and pedals.

Thanks again, I appreciate the info.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.