Fulltone Ranger

Everyone needs a stompbox.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fulltone Ranger

Post by JVG » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:21 pm

I love Fulltone products (despite their generally ugly appearance) and i love treble boosters, so i have been very interested in their upcoming pedal, the Ranger.

https://www.fulltone.com/products/custo ... one-ranger

I was even contemplating going in the ballot for one from the initial batch, using an OC75 transistor, although at US $323 i am hesitant. Even the ‘standard’ ones (ie non-OC75) will be going for US $249.

I have no doubt it will be an awesome pedal, but a bit pricey? Has anyone else been following this?

Cheers!
J
Last edited by JVG on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fulltone Ranger

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:54 am

It certainly looks neat. The badge is a little much, but I love the position switch as opposed to just a normal "tone" control type of thing. I tend to get option paralysis so not having as many options is always better for me.

It's cool that companies are starting to get behind treble boosters again but yeah, in general the cost of them for such a simple circuit seems a little suspect. I had a guy locally build me a 2 in 1 that has a Keeley Java Boost on one side and a Naga Viper on the other and he did it for.... 50 bucks. I get that the old transistors are hard to find, but at the same time I've also never understand going after stuff that's just going to run out someday if you want something a consistent part of your sound.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:57 am

It IS ugly.
That is a rare transistor, but it’s just the one.
It has more EQ control than I’ve ever seen on a Rangemaster circuit. More than necessary.
I don’t think the Rangemaster circuit needs a special, “unobtainium” transistor to sound great.
“Sexy” amber LED? Sexy? Really?
I might buy the cheaper version if it sounds good, but I don’t think I’d want all those tonal options on a Rangemaster. I doubt the more expensive is going to sound over $100 better.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:40 am

It’s possible that it’s worth the hype - well, maybe not the dead sexiness of the amber LED (haha).

The transistor used does make a difference, but it depends on what you want out of the pedal.

There are others that you could try. I have Jext Telez Range Lords, with different transistors (mostly one form or another of an OC44 and the NKT green dot), and an Analog Man Beano OC44 yellow jacket), and each type sounds different.

There is the Catalinbread Naga Viper, which a lot of people seem to like a lot.

One of those may be something you want to try before you drop a ton of money on this one, and maybe the price will come down in the meantime if you still want it (?).
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Haha yeah there is definitely some marketing BS in the web blurb, especially the bit about the amber light! But if it’s anything like other Fulltone pedals, it will be built like a tank and sound amazing. Agree that the EQ control is probably a bit over the top - in reality i’d probably just find 1 or 2 settings that i like and stick with them.

Regarding the comment about trying other treble boosters, well i must admit i already have too many:
Hubcap John “Beano” (unknown Germanium transistor)
LGS “Hornby Skewes style with Blackmore Mod” (Silicon transistor)
Keeley “Java” (Germanium CV7003 transistor)
Dazatronyx “Germanium Amplifier” (Germanium OC42 transistor)
Catalinbread “Naga Viper” (Silicon transistor)

My favourite in this list is the Hubcap John one - i took a punt on a bloke selling stuff on ebay a few years ago (i think he’s now moved to Reverb). No idea what the resistor is, but the pedal was dirt cheap and sounds amazing, slightly better than the Java which is my 2nd fave. I don’t have anything with an OC44 transistor. Would it sound significantly different? I’ve been contemplating both the Jext Telez and the Analog Man tb’s for quite a while....

Cheers!
J.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Wow, you have quite a few! That’s cool.

On the OC44 question, it can either give it more of a fuzzy bite or change the overall sound dramatically.

The smoothest I have is the NKT 275(?) green dot.

The next is probably the gold can version (gold lettering). There’s almost always 1 or 2 of these for sale on Reverb.

The red version with the military grade OC44 has a completely different tone, hard to describe, but is a more thorough fuzz to the entire sound/tone.

The bullet top black glass (with no writing) is raspier.

The Van Lord (silver), I forget what it uses (may be some other OC), but it gets the Greta Van Fleet sound on Highway Tune.

The yellow jacket is the fuzziest, and my favorites - my Beano also has this one.

The blue dot version (blue writing) I use for bass, it has a great deep response, and gives a nice edge to bass.

Just for the record, Keeley made some JBs with OC44s, I’ve seen them come up a few times on Reverb. I have his Black glass fuzzes that use the same thing, but it’s a different animal.

A lot of it is what you want out of the booster, the NKT seems to be a favorite, and it’s nice & smooth, but I do love the yellow jacket sound for a really crisp, raspy fuzz with the booster.

Hope that helps somewhat.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube of a guy playing 2 versions, I think the green dot and a yellow jacket, that may help make what I said a little clearer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xEB_153xr_M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RK4dNUeXzxw
-David

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Some great info there, thanks. If i had endless resources i would try each type of resistor!

By the way, i just remembered that the CV7003 in my Java is actually an OC44 under a different name. I completely forgot about that when writing the previous post.

Cheers!
J.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Yeah, I went kind of spastic buying all of those, but I do like them all.

Ah, that makes sense on the Keeley. The military grade OC44 in the red RL goes by a different designation as well (not OC), but I don’t remember what it is.

You probably already have a sense of what they can do then. Maybe you do want to try the Fulltone then...
-David

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Fulltone has just relisted a few OC75 Rangers available on their website, so i guess lots of people baulked at the price.

Reckon i will wait for the standard line to come out, then pick up a cosmetic blem - i’ve done that will my other Fulltone pedals, and it’s much more economical.

Cheers!
J.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:28 am

Ah, sounds good - good luck with getting a good price on one, hopefully sooner than later.

I actually just bought a Mas Malo pedal, sounds pretty diverse and seems to get a lot of love from people. Not too expensive, I'm hoping I like it a lot.

I like the other Fulltone pedals that I have, but they aren't distortion or fuzz - 2 supatrems and a Truetone AB/Y switcher. Quality stuff.

When you get one, post what you think about it, if you don't mind.

Cheers!
-David

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Yep, I will let you know although it might not be soon. It depends how quickly i give in to the desire!

Interesting that you don’t have any Fulltone fuzz/drive pedals, because that’s all i have from them. Great pedals, although fairly ugly to look at.

To be honest, i’m surprised at the high cost of the Ranger, because most Fulltone stuff is very reasonably priced.

Cheers!
J.
Last edited by JVG on Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:38 pm

As with all treble boosters, it really depends on your setup. I wouldn't want to put it in front of a fender twin for example. But if you have a darker amp, I'm sure this thing will sound great. I'm not sure that it's worth paying about triple of just a generic rangemaster clone. Would have to A/B it to be sure.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:09 pm

The Arc Effects Gamut is a great TB.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 am

Wow. Y’all are a wealth of treble booster knowledge!

I just joined a new project that calls for gnarlier sounds at times. I’m going to try some pedals I already have and see I can get what I’m looking for out of them, but if not I’m thinking a TB will be the ticket.