Mini pedal hatred

Everyone needs a stompbox.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mini pedal hatred

Post by jorri » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 am

The next size up is probably ideal. somewhere between that mooer size and boss size.

So, i took a mooer mini pedal off my board to use alone recording bass, and this thing was now rolling around everywhere, it has no weight to it and is top heavy, so meh.

I don't think by the end of it it save much space, because it ends up next to something with top jacks, or somehow has to be placed diagonally. Could work if i went and bought the exact cables i need but nah!

Then what happens to these Surface Mount components when it has a minor fault? it goes in the bin, no pedal, except for landfills; more waste. And all it needed was a new mini-pot. you cant play those tiny pots with your feet either.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:53 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:33 am
This thread has a distinct lack of pictures of the infernal things. How about 16 of them on one board?

WELCOME TO YOUR NIGHTMARE.

Wow. That actually looks kind of cool.

Kind of appropriate on something that resembles a serving tray. It almost looks like art or collectibles that should be glassed over to make it a shadowbox and hung on a wall.

Ahem - I mean scary, terrible stuff. Begone!
like a whole satanic tarot set of pedals
begone!

min7b5
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by min7b5 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:54 am

jorri wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 am
The next size up is probably ideal. somewhere between that mooer size and boss size.

So, i took a mooer mini pedal off my board to use alone recording bass, and this thing was now rolling around everywhere, it has no weight to it and is top heavy, so meh.

I don't think by the end of it it save much space, because it ends up next to something with top jacks, or somehow has to be placed diagonally. Could work if i went and bought the exact cables i need but nah!

Then what happens to these Surface Mount components when it has a minor fault? it goes in the bin, no pedal, except for landfills; more waste. And all it needed was a new mini-pot. you cant play those tiny pots with your feet either.
SMD circuits have always been be able to be repaired. The technical skill required is just higher. Most electronics are SMD, repairs just require different tools.

I could start a thread on top mount jack hate though! Can't stand em.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:50 am

Has anyone ever Velcro’d 1 or 2 to a guitar? Or put the guts from 1 and put it inside?

I probably wouldn’t do either myself.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:31 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:22 am
andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:09 am
What's wrong with tiny knobs? ???

Asking for a friend.
Haha. Tell your friend that to me, they’re kind of a pain in the ass, although I will say that they don’t usually move - they typically stay right where you set them. They’re a little more difficult to move than the larger knobs. Smaller dial ratio, and I have to grip it with at least 2 fingers, and it might move a larger knob “on account of a accident” in the process.

I actually have a lot of pedals that use the tiny knobs. Half of the knobs on probably all of my full-sized VFE pedals are tiny by design (3 normal, 3 small). But for the added options that they allow for on the available room on the pedal’s face, it’s worth it.

I kind of hate trimpots even more, although there are those in many of those pedals as well, and others. Nice options, usually, but taking a pedal apart to move a pot or a switch is 4 times the pain in the ass.
Maybe 8.
And change.

Edit: I have to say - as much as I’m whining about all that, all of it still beats programming a bunch of parameters into something through an onboard interface menu.

I’ll do it with SPX 90s, but I think the Zoia is probably the only pedal that I’d do that with, if I got one.

(I obviously don’t have a lot of nice, powerful digital pedals...)
Oh. It was a dick joke. :(
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Oh, sorry to ruin the joke.

That was my first impression, but then I wasn’t sure if you were seriously asking. For a friend.

So, then, uh, they’re only good for trimpots?
I got nothin’...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 pm

min7b5 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:54 am
jorri wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 am

SMD circuits have always been be able to be repaired. The technical skill required is just higher. Most electronics are SMD, repairs just require different tools.

I could start a thread on top mount jack hate though! Can't stand em.
yes by someone else which costs money, and tends to not be worth it for cheap ass chinese clones.
I'm all good for desoldering a bypass switch or debugging components, even a blown cap, or dodgy connection, is all good.
Makes it also more difficult if everything is on the board, like jacks, knobs, switches, which is also somewhat flimsier that point-to-point wiring to a circuit board...then you have to check they fit the circuit board, not fry it when desoldering, and etc. is a pain in the ass. Unless i get someone else to do it.
But any dude with a solering iron can repair pedals with the traditional big components, it doesn't take much really, maybe some instruction or asking on a forum. tools are reasonably cheap if they use them to wire guitars, or diy pedals.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 pm

'dude' being a gender-neutral form of course

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:47 am

I dig my Xotic SP compressor and Hotone Krush bit crusher. I also dig my Chase Bliss Faves which I use with my CB Mood. It's all good.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:49 am

100% PURE HAET
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:26 am

The only one I own and have any use for is the MXR Phase 95.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:43 am

If I could have all minis hooked up to a switcher I would be happy. For now my minis include: Xotic SP compressor, polytune mini, mooer elec-lady, mxr phase 95, Ibanez chorus mini, Ibanez analog delay mini. Want to add mxr carbon copy mini.