Recommend me a bass overdrive please.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommend me a bass overdrive please.

Post by somanytoys » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:15 pm

That sounds nice. Does it color your tone (in a good way)? Just curious, but you probably haven’t had the time to really stretch it out yet.

I like the ability to be able to do subtle with a foundation/preamp bass pedal, but it also has to be able to be kind of versatile. I have pedals that do one thing really well (fuzz, OD), but I want a main pedal that can give me a lot of sounds, even if I mostly only use one setting.

I imagine this pedal can get lots of good sounds. I’m glad you like it so far.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:55 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:15 pm
That sounds nice. Does it color your tone (in a good way)? Just curious, but you probably haven’t had the time to really stretch it out yet.

I like the ability to be able to do subtle with a foundation/preamp bass pedal, but it also has to be able to be kind of versatile. I have pedals that do one thing really well (fuzz, OD), but I want a main pedal that can give me a lot of sounds, even if I mostly only use one setting.

I imagine this pedal can get lots of good sounds. I’m glad you like it so far.
It has a bit of the SVT workin’ hard vibe. It gets fuzzy at the upper end of the drive knob. Everything at noon is just about dead on.

I’ll have to wait til later this week to see how it will sit in a band mix, but I am optimistic.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 pm

BeeTL wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:27 am
I have the Darkglass Vintage Ultra and absolutely love it.

I play direct to PA, it's always on and gives me the bass tone I was imagining and hoping for.

It was recommended to me by multiple players whose opinions I respect, and I was not disappointed.
I just checked out a couple videos on the Vintage Ultra V2 and I'm thinking really hard about ditching the bass amp. I've already got a Tech 21 Q\Strip, but one thing the DI pedals from Darkglass do really well (and that I wish Tech 21 did) is have a footswitch for the EQ and a separate footswitch for the distortion/gain. The Q\Strip doesn't really have gain like that, but the The Bass- and Para-Drivers do and it's only 1 switch... :whistle: :shifty:
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:46 am

The T21 dUg Pinnick model does that.

It has one section & switch for compressor, some drive/volume and tone, which can be pretty straight forward and versatile, and another section/switch for the crazy heavy. It’s the only one I’m aware of that has 2 sections and independent switches, except maybe for the YYZ pedal.

No idea how that compares to the Darkglass, but it’s cool.

But I tend to use the T21 VT Bass DI, I like the SVT sounds it gets and it has a cab sim, which helps a little going direct into a pa.
-David

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 pm

I use a separate compressor and boost (both are are always on), so the new chain is:

Vintage Microtubes>Pigtronix Class A Boost>Barber Tone Press>Tuner

I would rather have a few pedals with simple interfaces that each sound exactly how I want than a zillion options in a single box.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:46 am
The T21 dUg Pinnick model does that.

It has one section & switch for compressor, some drive/volume and tone, which can be pretty straight forward and versatile, and another section/switch for the crazy heavy. It’s the only one I’m aware of that has 2 sections and independent switches, except maybe for the YYZ pedal.

No idea how that compares to the Darkglass, but it’s cool.

But I tend to use the T21 VT Bass DI, I like the SVT sounds it gets and it has a cab sim, which helps a little going direct into a pa.
Interesting. I'll have to check that out. I always loved the sound of the VT Bass DI, but I definitely want a DI/EQ with a separate footswitch for gain. At the moment I've got a compressor, an overdrive, and the Tech 21 Q\Strip. The Q\Strip sounds good, but I've been thinking about a second gain or a boost for the overdrive/compressor, and when I found the Darkglass Vintage Ultra, I thought it was perfect having a second gain stage and EQ/DI in one.

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 pm
I would rather have a few pedals with simple interfaces that each sound exactly how I want than a zillion options in a single box.
Same. I have never really gotten along with multi-effects, or tons of hidden options, but I also like the idea of having a bass pedalboard that's not massive too :D
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 pm
I use a separate compressor and boost (both are are always on), so the new chain is:

Vintage Microtubes>Pigtronix Class A Boost>Barber Tone Press>Tuner

I like the idea of going into a boost then a compressor on bass, I may have to try that. I would have thought those would go first, before the main pedal, that's interesting as well.

How do you like the Tone Press? I'm assuming a lot, since it's on your board. I've read a lot of good things about those, and all of the Barber pedals that I have I really like. I wouldn't mind trying out their Linden EQ, either.

Yeah, for bass, I try to keep it simple, even if it is a few pedals. Choose settings, and turn off and on if/when necessary. I typically am an "always on/one sound" type of bass player, though. I never used any effects on bass during my first 25 or so years of playing, which is about when I started buying my own guitar equipment and really got into effects pedals.

One of the first ones I got were one of the Digitech all in one pedals to start, and it was a pain in the ass to program and didn't sound that good, which kind of pushed me away from all in one type effects, and digital distortion. I try to stay analog with most of my effects, but I'll go with digital when it's good, but not much. The main ones I can think of that I have are Digitech EX-7 and Digiverb from the older days, and Zoom CDR.
-David

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:31 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 am
How do you like the Tone Press? I'm assuming a lot, since it's on your board. I've read a lot of good things about those, and all of the Barber pedals that I have I really like. I wouldn't mind trying out their Linden EQ, either.
I like it a lot for bass. Funnily enough I bought it to use on guitar and hated it there. I think that’s largely due to the rest of my setup. Turns out a 5-7 watt tube amp already compresses plenty.

The blend control is crucial. I usually set that and compression to noon and set the level control for unity gain (perceived volume the same with the compressor on or off). That’s about 1:30.

The boost I set for a mild bump just to push the compressor a little.

It sounds great, and the best part is I can dial in my sound with almost any backline amp no matter how old and shitty or boringly modern.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Interesting, but I know what you mean. I’ve bought a few pedals for guitar that ended up being better with bass.

I just bought a Fromel Velvet Vice compressor, to replace the Cali 76 Stacked that was on my big board. I love the 76, but I don’t really think I need all that it can do on that board, so I decided to free it up for more useful applications, where it makes a bigger, better difference.

I use the Fromel the same way, most of the 3 knob settings on about noon for unity. It isn’t really that noticeable, until you turn it off, which doesn’t sound as good. It’ll be perfect for that board, barely there but makes a difference.

I tried the 76 with my classical and it sounded really good, really improved the sound. I’m going to try it out with my acoustic bass as well, I’m sure that will be at least as effective and nice.

I may try the Keeley C4 with a boost on regular bass, and see if that sounds better than last time I tried it alone. It’s my least favorite compressor so far.
-David

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:54 pm

I found this video of Patrick Hunter playing a DryBell Effects Unit 67 on bass and thought it sounded incredible. I've currently got an EQD The Warden which sounds good, but this thing has really intrigued me. Has anyone tried one yet?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:54 pm
I found this video of Patrick Hunter playing a DryBell Effects Unit 67 on bass and thought it sounded incredible. I've currently got an EQD The Warden which sounds good, but this thing has really intrigued me. Has anyone tried one yet?
That's quite the bass face he has going there. No experience with the pedal.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:54 pm
That's quite the bass face he has going there. No experience with the pedal.
Right? He's always got an intense face in his videos. He's tricky though, like PGS/Reverb Andy, as in, he always sounds good. I worry about getting pedals based off his videos because his sound is pretty unique.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 am

Seems pretty cool, even tho I only listened on the phone. Maybe I should listen on better speakers to be more fair about it.

I like the concept, reminds me a bit of my VFE White Horse, with all of the controls available.

I thought it was nice that he played a few different basses with it, but (on the phone speakers) they all seemed to sound pretty much the same. Maybe it’s his playing style, maybe it’s a little background manipulation (assuming he’s going direct and it’s not just one amp’s settings), maybe it’s these speakers.

I know it’s a compressor and not a dirt pedal, but I’ve heard a lot more variation in other videos, like the suppa phat phuck pedal demo by just nick.

Still, it seems really cool.
-David

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am

The J was the one bass that sounded significantly different. A lot of active basses sound more or less the same to my ear.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:01 am

Yeah, I noticed that was kind of his main bass that he used. I thought it sounded more like a precision than a jazz, don’t know if that’s the pedal, the model of jazz bass or just me.

There is usually more character in straight up pickups, but it is possible to dial in some “not-sterile” sounds with active pickups. With some basses, anyway.

But that seems like a cool compressor, I like it.
-David