Starting from scratch (nearly)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
matthew a

Starting from scratch (nearly)

Post by matthew a » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:57 am

So a while back I sold my board and swapped out for a Pod 500HD.

I was using the underground to get to gigs & wanted a reliable rig that sounded good and was portable. I’ve never really got to grips with the line 6 (certainly haven’t bonded with it to give it enough time)- I hate the way delay works on it for some reason.

Skip forward a year & i’m no longer playing in a band. The Pod is up for sale & i’m going to go back to a board. I’ve got a tuner, a boutique TS type pedal, Russian muff clone and a turbo rat clone/boost. Nothing else. I’m so excited to do this again... ;D

If you were starting again for the ultimate one-off wonder, what would you do... board size? What pedals?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Starting from scratch (nearly)

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:24 pm

That's a tough question for me personally. I've spent a long time working on my current board and I feel like it's just about perfect for me. If I was starting over from scratch, I'd grab a Tubescreamer overdrive, boost, tremolo, delay, and then go from there.

I don't want to keep making more boards beyond what I've got, but I see what some people do in the Setup Of The Day thread, and think it would be fun to start over just once.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:30 pm

I would examine what sounds you gravitate to the most and contrast those to what sounds you've used in the past, and look for commonalities.

For me, that is a raw 60s fuzz, a ripping but not smooth 70s fuzz, echo, and reverb. Sometimes I like a wah-wah or filter, and sometimes I like a tremolo or flanged, or similar modulation, but those aren't neccessary.

So lots of ways to approach that. Do you want readily available pedals or boutiques? Do you want them all the same brand, or even all the same color scheme? You can make an all orange and black or all pink and white board if you'd like! Maybe really simple and nothing with more than one or two knobs? That can be done too. Some guys want all the in&outs on the top, others insist they be on the sides, do you care?

Example-1: Basic Audio Marq Won Tonebender, Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe Tonebender, Source Audio Nemesis delay, Meris Mercury 7 reverb. Compact, boutique, tone-for-days, as they say.

Example-2: Catalinbread = Fuzzrite, RAH fuzz, Belle Epoch delay, Topanga or Talisman reverb. Same tonal niches as above, all from the same builder.

Example-3: Maestro FZ-1, Buzzaround, Echoplex, Fender reverb. All big box vintages.

Good luck with your quest, there are so many options that it pays to narrow them down.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:19 pm

I want to keep my board small, with the most bang for my buck. Prdaltrain Jnr size would be good if they still make those. So simple & effective.

What is everyone using for power these days? There must be more efficient blocks than the pedal power 2 for size and number of ports.

But it’s hard! I want a reverb, but I also want a modulated verb like the Mr Black pedal with chorus.

Tuner
Gate?
Verb
TS
Drive
Chorus?
Multi-delay (gotta have a tap)
Tremolo (gotta have the helicopter sound)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:54 am

I've concluded after many years that a Rat doesn't work for the really low gain sounds I favor, but if I were building a bigger One-Board-To-Rule-Them-All it would have to have some kind of Rat. For me that would cover all medium to high gain/fuzz territory.

A JFET boost of some kind is a must-have for me.

For overdrives I just can't get down with how Tube Screamers do midrange. I like a Klon-style pedal for lower gain sounds.

I love tremolo, and if I were starting with nothing I'd get a Surfytrem as it does both optical and harmonic and has a really simple interface.

I have a real love/hate relationship with delay. I finally got a delay with tap tempo (Boss DD-7) and honestly I'm not sure I care about tap tempo anymore. I love analog delay and none of the pedal-sized digital things I've tried so far seem to emulate it that well. If you "need" tap tempo and like the classic Boss digital delay sound it's a great way to go. The reverse sound is nice and the onboard looper is nice for practicing parts or repeating a bit of noise during a song.

I've recommended it here before but the MXR Analog Chorus is nice sounding, very flexible, and common enough that you can find one used pretty readily.

Definitely give the Boss RV-6 a try if you're looking for modulated verb and a few other options and trying to keep things cost effective. I have one and have found that's enough chorus for me. The spring and plate sounds are just ok, but they seems to stay out of the way a little better than with, say, a TC Hall of Fame.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:20 am

I used to have an RV-7 or 6. Ended up opting for a Blue Sky as it was simpler to use & I didn’t like the boss modulated verb.

Love the boss DD sounds, can not get on with the pedals. I love the TC Electronic Flashback X4 for sounds & simplicity, probably end up needed a bigger board just for that!

Know what you mean about the TS- I use mine as a boost to get more gain out of the amp.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:58 am

matthew a wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:19 pm
I want to keep my board small, with the most bang for my buck. Prdaltrain Jnr size would be good if they still make those. So simple & effective.

Tuner
Gate?
Verb
TS
Drive
Chorus?
Pedaltrain has Nano and Metro boards that are both pretty small.

You can get mini pedals for just about everything if you're really concerned about real estate. Kinda seems like you have a pretty good idea of what pedals you want/need, so I don't think you really need the other people that have their own pedal preferences to chime in about that.

What other flavor of Drive are you thinking about if you already have a tubescreamer on the list?

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:35 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:58 am
matthew a wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Tuner
Gate?
Verb
TS
Drive
Chorus?
Pedaltrain has Nano and Metro boards that are both pretty small.

You can get mini pedals for just about everything if you're really concerned about real estate. Kinda seems like you have a pretty good idea of what pedals you want/need, so I don't think you really need the other people that have their own pedal preferences to chime in about that.

What other flavor of Drive are you thinking about if you already have a tubescreamer on the list?
Always curious what others would use- some of my best discoveries where other people's gear!

For a drive, I'd be looking at something heavy-ish - Just sold my AC15. Thinking about a 2-channel amp or run a light gain JCM800 or JMP. Rotate between a Muff, Rat & something straight up like DS-1 maybe.

JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSutter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Moore stuff is great for space saving pedals.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 am

^^^ been looking at those & just came across Bying LiveMaster.
Last edited by matthew a on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 am

^^^ been looking at those & just came across Bying LiveMaster.

I’ve got a tuner & drive pedals. Aside from reverb (amp) & gate (think my super high gain days are behind me), I only really want 4 pedals

1. Comp
2. Chorus
3. Tremolo
4. Delay

Are the two aforementioned a good bet at a reasonably priced solution for a fledgling amateur? Can’t see myself doing any heavy touring these days.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:19 am

mooer have a really good moduated reverb. not quite in the same league as the mr. black one though.

while i'm kinda tired of a lot of the mini pedals. you can make a pretty sweet board out of a lot of them. plus they usually seem to start at like £15 used
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:21 am

Tbf, a half decent modulated verb as part of a board the costs less than a Mr Black pedal is appealing to me these days.

How useful are the mini pedals for switching under pressure during a show? That’s my only worry really

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:58 pm

matthew a wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:21 am
Tbf, a half decent modulated verb as part of a board the costs less than a Mr Black pedal is appealing to me these days.

How useful are the mini pedals for switching under pressure during a show? That’s my only worry really
that's kinda my major issue. i feel i need to be a lot more careful because i have wide feet. i think my layout of the board mitigates some of the fear but not all of it
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:52 pm

It takes up a lot of space, but if you have enough small pedals, it may be worth thinking about a controller. That way you never have to hit your small pedal switches, except maybe to turn them on.

My main controller is the Decibel 11 Pedal Palette, although there are many others. I bought those because they're great and they've been on sale for a while now, very reasonable. It does manual or programmed switching (can be midi controlled or a controller), has a parallel channel, trails (on the parallel channel), instant pedal order swapping (manual mode), switchable buffer on first pedal...

They also have the switch doctor, I think it's similar but I'm not that familiar with it.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.