Pedals that loop like the Akai Headrush

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pedals that loop like the Akai Headrush

Post by Bert Camenbert » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

I've had an akai headrush for over a decade now, and I'm throughly used to how it works: I really like how the two foot switches let me loop, erase and overdub on the fly, easily and simply. I also have the small TC Electronics Ditto, which is nice, I really dig the almost five minutes of recording time it has. But, in my opinion, the Ditto is not as intuitive and easy to use as my old akai.

So... Are there other pedals that operate similarly to the venerable Akai Headrush, but have more recording time?

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pedals that loop like the Akai Headrush

Post by Bert Camenbert » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am

I wish I could explain exactly and clearly how the Akai operates, but I'm so used to it that I'm not sure I know how to describe precisely how it works. So I'm hoping that someone who is familiar with the Akai and has moved on to other loopers can chime in.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Have you tried the Ditto Looper X2? That's what i use, and can do all you ask with it's two footswitches plus reverse and half time. When you record in reverse or half time, then flip it back, it operates like a real tape would, and stays reversed or half-timed. Creates some trippy cool effects and layers.
Jesus

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Nope, I haven't tried the Ditto x2. I have the small Ditto. How do you delete a loop and start a new one? On the Akai, I just stop it with the left switch and overwrite it with the right switch. On my small Ditto, I have to press the switch for two seconds, which is inconvenient, and then press again to record a new loop.
Last edited by Bert Camenbert on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Has anyone tried the Electro-Harmonix 720 looper?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:38 pm

I had a Headrush E2, I sold it a while back because I was using a Boss RC-2, that is the first Boss pedal I've ever had die on me, and had other delays. I have 2 Ditto X2s right now, and they're cool, I just suck with the timing of the switch. I need something quanitified to time exactly right to stay in time with a drumbeat.

What I ended up going with is the Pigtronix Infinity Looper, with the footswitch. 2 separate or combined loops (played together or one after the other) per patch, and I don't know how many banks of storage for loops, maybe 9 banks of 9 patches? And can interface with a computer to push/pull patches.

I love it, but it's kind of complicated. So rather than learn it really, really well, I bought a Beat Buddy for the drums, and let that midi-control the Infinity when I record bass. The drums do a 4 beat count in, and it starts recording in time with the drum beat, and stops at the end of the measure. I don't have to worry about starting or stopping too early/late and be out of sync with the beat.

I could work to try to get better at my footswitch timing instead, but I have other things to do. I tried recording a rhythm guitar part on one of the X2s the other night, and couldn't get the timing right for shit after many tries, it was a frustrating, wasted half hour.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:19 pm

The Pigtronix seems interesting, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too much for my needs. I use loopers primarily as a practice and writing tool, I don't record with them. The few times I used the Akai in a band context, I mostly just looped noise.

I've spent years practicing with the Akai, so I'm pretty good at getting the timing right. Is there something in the way the Ditto X2 works that makes it harder?

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 am

Honestly i've never had problems with it. I've used the Akai before, but can't seem to remember much about how it worked in my own life. Used the Timeline after that, now this. Nah, it's two buttons. I think he means just in general he has looper timing issues? I always find it works well if i time it well. So then that's down to user issues, which is what it sounds like he is saying.
Jesus

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:52 am

Bert Camenbert wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:19 pm
The Pigtronix seems interesting, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too much for my needs. I use loopers primarily as a practice and writing tool, I don't record with them. The few times I used the Akai in a band context, I mostly just looped noise.

I've spent years practicing with the Akai, so I'm pretty good at getting the timing right. Is there something in the way the Ditto X2 works that makes it harder?
There's nothing wrong with the Ditto at all, it's great. I'm just not well practiced at hitting the button with near perfect timing while playing, which it kind of takes to fall in with, and more importantly stay in line with the drums as the loop continues to roll. The slightest miss in timing on either side and it gets more and more evident and out of time with each repeat. If you're not trying to time it with a precise beat, or you're already good at the timing, it'll be great.

My first looper was the Boss, and it was quantified with its own beats, so I've never really had to practice the timing being perfect much until I got the Dittos. I've done it correctly on the Ditto a few times in the past after quite a few tries, but getting good at it is not a priority for my purposes. I can use the 2nd channel of the Infinity to record a perfectly timed rhythm guitar part, if I really want one.

The Ditto is definitely worth a look, it's a good, solid pedal, it works very well and has nice features.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.