Everyone needs a stompbox.
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Holy Grails -Bucket List - The Effects Edition

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:51 am
At least no one here is chasing the perfect Fuzz Face or Tone Bender and spending $500+ for every boutique variation they can hoard.
I have a couple of creepyfingers fuzz face types and i honestly don't think any original unit or high-end replica would sound any better. they don't need dialling in so much, you just let them do their thing and run them into a good amp/OD pedal.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
At least no one here is chasing the perfect Fuzz Face or Tone Bender and spending $500+ for every boutique variation they can hoard.
I have a couple of creepyfingers fuzz face types and i honestly don't think any original unit or high-end replica would sound any better. they don't need dialling in so much, you just let them do their thing and run them into a good amp/OD pedal.
I agree, and one with a backup is plenty for each type of fuzz, but the “This is a white dot NTK275 and this one is a red dot NTK275, and that one is an AC128...” Fuzz Face collection has always been a bit over the top for me.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:20 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 am
MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
I agree, and one with a backup is plenty for each type of fuzz, but the “This is a white dot NTK275 and this one is a red dot NTK275, and that one is an AC128...” Fuzz Face collection has always been a bit over the top for me.
I discovered this when I started building my own fuzz pedals. In the end I kept my Dunlop GE and a hand built silicon. I use the Si version most and it cost maybe -$30 to make at most?
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 am

Trout wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:02 am
Still miss the SG-1, but patiently waiting to find it cheap :derp:
If that's the slow gear (and I'm sure you want the real deal), if you want something similar in the meantime, VFE made the Bumblebee version of the slowgear that's pretty cool, and probably less expensive. Peter had really great takes on so many pedals.

There are some pedals that I wouldn't mind having but there aren't a lot that I'm dying for anymore. I've really done a lot of research and made good purchases over the past few years, and (as of right now) I have most of what I want.

2 that I would like to check out are the Meris Enzo and Mercury 7, and a few of the Tech 21 pedals. Both of those companies have really impressed me.
There are others, but at the moment the urgency has really died down a lot. A lot of that is probably due to the fact that I've kind of run out of pedals that I'm willing to sell off, in order to balance things out.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks, I’ll check it out ( but I will wait for the real deal :P )
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm

I figured, something about having the real thing. I think the only one I really have like that is the PS-3, (other than modded old BD-2s), and I can't let it go.

The Bumblebee is cool for what it is, with improvements, it's one of the first VFE pedals that I bought. Don't use it much, but it's nice, all of his pedals are. They seem to pop up on Reverb from time to time - not sure about the price range, but I would think it's much less than an actual Slow Gear, even though Peter's closed shop and is now teaching kids how to make pedals in a school.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:16 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:44 am
fortytwo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:22 am
Why don’t you just get them, they are not that hard to find.
I have two of them.
What Yannis says but also, I just think I'd rather put the money towards a killer acoustic.
Maybe my favorite single pedal (they do a/the sound I like really really well) but that's a lot of money for a delay when we live in a golden age of delays. (I also have two from back when they were cheap - they sound remarkably different).

I've been thinking some on the interrelations between effects pedals, internet forums, the boutique pedal boom, and the informal (or internet) economy. Funny how it's all come together.

eskmsaul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eskmsaul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:43 am

Not a super fancy one but I dream of having a Boss DC-2. Someday.

Oh, and a hand-painted Fuzz Factory, that'd be fun!

uraniumwilly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by uraniumwilly » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 am

In the 90s/early 2000s, before the prices of vintage gear went nuts I bought:

5 Lovetone pedals: 4 from the UK factory: Big Cheese, Meatball, Wob, Ringstinger, one doppelgänger - purchased elsewhere.
1 fuzzfactory pedal from the factory
1 Ibanez AD230 bucket brigade delay from ebay and pretty cheap
1 Roland SRE 555 tape delay in good shape and pretty cheap

Also: Lexicon PCM 70, 81 and TC 2290. I'll mention Distressor compressor because it's amazing what that thing does to your signal.

When my Lovetone wobulator arrived from the UK it had a defect. I called the Lovetone people. I guess it was Vlad who picked up the phone, maybe it was the other guy. He was a grumpy fucker and didn't offer any fix or, say, to send me a new one and I, in turn would ship him the broken one. Then when the offer came in email to buy a flanger with no name I said fuck that, and wrote them a scathing email. Recently I bid on one and went as high as $1100. But I think that was a little nuts and I'm no longer flush. I'm not sure I would do it again.

Every once in a while something new comes along, like Basic Audio Spooky Tooth or Fuzz Mutant. But I'm feeling pretty satisfied with my rig.