Recommed A Chorus Pedal For Me

Everyone needs a stompbox.
thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommed A Chorus Pedal For Me

Post by thisisnickpaige » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 am

Can’t go wrong with a Boss, just need to watch the headroom on them. I definitely second the reality of flanger being more what most of us have probably thought was chorus. Can’t go wrong with the new Boss CE-2W or the DC-2W is super glorious as well.

The Walrus Audio Julia has fought its way into my heart, and it’s there for now (as well as on my board). It has tons of headroom and has a bit of flanger/phaser vibe to it, which helps for what I was actually going for.

The Mr. Black Vintage Ensemble and Double Chorus are super cool pedals that should also be checked out.
Jesus

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Love, love, love the MXR Stereo Chorus.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:14 am

Get on reverb and look for a CE-20 chorus ensemble - It has ce-1, ce-2, ans dimension D (SDD-320) with the COSM engine. basically boss on 'roids.

once you have one, then go look at CE-2w and tell me the difference..... you'll be hard pressed.

DC-2w is a totally different beast thought... Dimension C (chorus) is a twin modulated stereo wet mixed signal, similar to the old dimension D (SDD-320) and in my opinion even better than the original rack unit.

I was convinced, so I bought one.

If you want the real truth about chorus though, you will have to search for the original pre-1982 Roland JC-120 amp - which has the CE-1 circuit in the amp.

the key here is to understand that the JC-120 and JC-160 cabs pre 1982 are the original CE-1 circuit and are cheaper than a CE1. Plus you get a free 2x12 or 4x10 for the fun of it.
The JC-120 is absolutely the winner of the entire debate though - I've done chorus long enough to know how far is 'too far' on the modulation mix, and between the original CE1 and the dimension C (DC2w) there is a subtle but noticeable difference.

use the DC2w to fatten your sound, use the CE-1 to make it shimmer like the 1980's. amazeballs.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 am

I just checked and there are still some Stereo Poly Chorus pedals that people are selling; the big box version, not the XO version currently in production that has the wrong voltage and sounds all wrong. That really you should cover everything you are looking for: a chorus and flanger pedal that's analog with a lot of options, a slapback delay setting, and the so called "filter matrix" which is pretty much a flanger with manual sweeping so that you can stop the sweep at any point and get all sorts of weird, metallic overtones. The thing sounds pretty much as warm or cold, watery or wobbly as you want.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:26 am

The CE-1 works on the same concept of producing the chorus effect(dry/wet)..but has enough key differences in its circuit to make it sound quite different. You don't get a CE-1 in a JC-120 or vice-versa.

Though I haven't owned one for quite a while now, I remember thinking it sounded pretty bad in mono chorus mode, probably since the original circuit concept was never designed for mono.

It also suffers from impedance mis-matching due to it being designed for keyboards, one of the effects of this is a total change in your existing guitar tone whether bypassed or not.

Obviously YMMV but for classic mono chorus I would always favour the CE-2.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 am

To add on to the above post. I agree get a CE-2 or DC-2 (or the waza versions). I just picked up a OG DC-2 and was blown away. I've owned a CE-2 and DC-3 for years and they are both great pedals as well ( DC-3 never gets love but its great). If you are running two amps I really would recomend a stereo chorus as there really is nothing like it.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 am

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:49 am

(I don’t know if I’ve ever seen TSOL referenced here before!)
i think i mentioned ages ago how much i love ron's chorus sound and that started a big chain reaction about.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Here's an odd one: Ibanez RC-99 Rotary Chorus. I love this thing. It can do these lush and gentle effects that make everything just sound better and then very warbly wobbly out of tune sounds. It can also do a very convincing rotary effect and it sounds absolutely killer on synthesizers.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 am
cestlamort wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:49 am

(I don’t know if I’ve ever seen TSOL referenced here before!)
i think i mentioned ages ago how much i love ron's chorus sound and that started a big chain reaction about.

And here's my interpretation on the Polychorus:

Mode-Flange
Feedback-10:00
Tune/Delay-2:00
Rate-11:00
Width-1:00
Sweep Filter-On

For anything on Beneath The Shadows, just turn the Sweep Filter off.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Oh, that was my second pedal ever. I could only ever get a metallic ping or whoosh out of it (in varying forms and decays), but I was young and dumb so sent it back out into the wild.

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:07 am

This is a cool chorus pedal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNFINPOqgzA

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Don't know if it easy to find one,but i just repaira tc electronic chorus flanger + and it sound really cool ,not to metallic and strong if you can try one

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:43 am

When I saw the thread title, I immediately predicted that I'd likely be recommending a CE-2, and I'll stand by that recommendation as others have voiced ;)

I'll also mention...The long-discontinued Moollon Chorus is 100% vintage voiced and circuit-wise is based on the CE-1 and CE-2, but also comes with some really decent tonal additions, to go from dark to bright, and deep to shallow, and of course the usual slow to fast.

As the rather uneventful story goes, back in the early 2000s we fairly easily were able to source a decent quantity of NOS Matsushita (Panasonic) MN3207 and MN3102 BBD chips, which were fully tested in the shop and later paired for the Moollon Chorus. As one might expect, they proved to be super warm, proper 1st generation Boss Chorus material, and with the addition of separate Wet/Dry knobs, tone knob and a large speed control knob, it's a really useful pedal to boot. And although it probability doesn't need to be mentioned, when a certain Jeff (SP) was in town a few years back he tried one out in the shop and I remember him saying it was likely the best chorus pedal he'd ever played.

Being relatively unknown, they can be still found on the used market for much less than the original $350 street price:

https://reverb.com/item/20280965-moollo ... ged-chorus
https://reverb.com/item/7501322-moollon ... ged-chorus

Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 am

If you're not averse to plastic, the Arion SCH-1 is great. People rave about using them to cop the rotary sound, but I love it set slow, deep and the tone backed off a little before noon for a lush thick chorus.

Just discovered I quite like detune as chorus, too. The Boss PS-6 has a really useful detune mode (which can be run in stereo too), and for me at least, it works with driven and distorted sounds far better than a traditional chorus.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 09, 2019 7:34 am

Jazzmastervsjaguar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 am
To add on to the above post. I agree get a CE-2 or DC-2 (or the waza versions). I just picked up a OG DC-2 and was blown away. I've owned a CE-2 and DC-3 for years and they are both great pedals as well ( DC-3 never gets love but its great). If you are running two amps I really would recomend a stereo chorus as there really is nothing like it.
15 or so years ago I bought a Dod PDS 1700 (I think it was) and an EHX Small Clone (and a big box DEM), they just didn't really do it for me. I also bought a Red Witch chorus & tremolo, and sold it pretty quickly. I've had chorus in other pedals as well, but never really got a great sound that I could use much, especially consistently.

But I recently got a Keeley 30 MS delay, that has a Dimension mode (and Abbey Road and slapback), and have been pretty impressed with the Dimension mode for chorus (the other modes, too, but this is about chorus). The only drawback is that it's mono, even in pro-tracker mode - the other out is always dry, and don't see the point of going to the trouble of splitting the signal, just to get an extra dry out, but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, the pro-tracker mode has some cool options, but the pedal doesn't go true stereo, only an extra dry signal to push another amp.

So I bought a Fromel Seraphim, that's based on the SDD-320 (with more options), and it's simply awesome. Expensive, but worth it, I finally enjoy chorus, and it's perfect in a stereo rig. The space and movement is incredible, many modes and options, and it jibes well with fuzz and distortion and delay and lots of other effects. I don't care for normal chorus all that much, but I love the Dimension sound, especially in stereo. I think there's a version of the CE-2 in the Zoom MS 70 CDR, I guess I should give that a try and see how that is. I'll keep in mind that it's a digital version, and may not be a fair representation.

I saw a youtube video recently that compared the Fromel with the new Boss DC-2w Waza version, which does the DC-2 and the SDD-320 in stereo, and it was hard to tell too much of a difference in the sounds between them (on youtube, anyway), they both sounded really good. Plus the Boss is a good bit cheaper (like $100 cheaper), so I bought a new one on Reverb. It's being delivered in today, I'm going to put it on my 2nd pedalboard in the same place as the Fromel on the other board - right in front of the Polymoon, pumping stereo. Should be really interesting having 2 stereo Dimensions at different settings feeding 4 amps.

I very highly recommend either the Fromel or the Boss DC-2 Waza, I guess I'll see tonight just how much of a difference between those there really is sound-wise. And if you don't need stereo, the Dimension on the Keeley 30 MS is very nice, and the pedal has lots of other really nice options with its reverb and delay, it's a very good mono pedal.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.