i can't use this pedal because...

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by BlueSparkle » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 am

...it only has one knob.

(the guy playing) ;D :derp:
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

User avatar
Misc.Vision
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by Misc.Vision » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:15 pm

...it’s not made in America.

...it sucks.

...I can’t get it to sound like (insert favorite guitar noodler’s name).
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

User avatar
chrisrnps
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by chrisrnps » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 am

The name is irksome (might be a cool compressor / preamp widget, but does it really need to say COCAINE in gigantic all caps?) or even potentially offensive or sexist (hi, TC Electronic “Pussy Melter”)

The builder or company has an immoral, scandalous, or otherwise problematic reputation or background (as recently with that one modular synth dude).
'Excellent! A little more practice will make you a regular whale. Now, if I may trouble you to unlace my back and front plates two holes more, I'll try that fascinating bend that you say is so easy. Won't Painted Jaguar be surprised!' ~ Rudyard Kipling

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14910
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:31 pm

chrisrnps wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 am
The name is irksome (might be a cool compressor / preamp widget, but does it really need to say COCAINE in gigantic all caps?) or even potentially offensive or sexist (hi, TC Electronic “Pussy Melter”)

The builder or company has an immoral, scandalous, or otherwise problematic reputation or background (as recently with that one modular synth dude).
oh god. i remember when the pussy melter came out. every right wing guitar player was screaming "are you triggered? are you a triggered SJW cuck?" or worse "it's a joke, dont you get it?" yeah, i get it. steel panther are basically an 80's glam/hair metal band with a sense of irony. but at the same time the "ironic" defense is really weak in my mind and always will be.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by RuffiansFC » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:43 am

...JHS keeps manipulating the used market with their favorite pedals videos.
...the pedal maker spent my money before buying supplies.
...the footswitch in every FX series DOD I've ever owned has failed at some point.
...I can't buy it on Sweetwater for 48 months no interest.

User avatar
leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by leokula » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:49 am

Volume drop is an absolute no go for me... got pedals with sounds that I absolutely loved, but the volume drop killed it for me.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 22083
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am

...it isn't analog.


EDIT - not my opinion but an annoying opinion nonetheless.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by tune_link » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am

leokula wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:49 am
Volume drop is an absolute no go for me... got pedals with sounds that I absolutely loved, but the volume drop killed it for me.
SO MUCH THIS. Honestly, considering their reputation as LOUD pedals and that the company is run by Oliver Ackerman from A Place to Bury Strangers, the major issue I had with their Apocalypse fuzz was that it wasn't even remotely loud in comparison to most other fuzzes I had/have. It sounded amazing but I sold it so quickly because of this, barely had it for any time at all. Give me a volume boost any time. Drop my shit and it's immediately out of my pedal chain.

User avatar
leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by leokula » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 am

tune_link wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am
leokula wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:49 am
Volume drop is an absolute no go for me... got pedals with sounds that I absolutely loved, but the volume drop killed it for me.
SO MUCH THIS. Honestly, considering their reputation as LOUD pedals and that the company is run by Oliver Ackerman from A Place to Bury Strangers, the major issue I had with their Apocalypse fuzz was that it wasn't even remotely loud in comparison to most other fuzzes I had/have. It sounded amazing but I sold it so quickly because of this, barely had it for any time at all. Give me a volume boost any time. Drop my shit and it's immediately out of my pedal chain.
Yeah man, it's such a pain if you're in the mindset of playing live... just unpractical all around.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3049
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:52 pm

My pet peeve is clean boost pedals with too damn much boost on tap. If a pedal will do 30 or 40 dB it’s almost impossible to dial in something subtle that’s repeatable.

User avatar
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2152
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:39 pm

tune_link wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am
leokula wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:49 am
Volume drop is an absolute no go for me... got pedals with sounds that I absolutely loved, but the volume drop killed it for me.
SO MUCH THIS. Honestly, considering their reputation as LOUD pedals and that the company is run by Oliver Ackerman from A Place to Bury Strangers, the major issue I had with their Apocalypse fuzz was that it wasn't even remotely loud in comparison to most other fuzzes I had/have. It sounded amazing but I sold it so quickly because of this, barely had it for any time at all. Give me a volume boost any time. Drop my shit and it's immediately out of my pedal chain.
settings 1 and 2 are kind of quiet (maybe 3 too?) but the other settings are much MUCH higher than unity. I would be seeing whether your unit was broke or modded or something if the "octave rect" and "gain x1000" settings were anything other than stupidly loud.

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by tune_link » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:57 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:39 pm
tune_link wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am
leokula wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:49 am
Volume drop is an absolute no go for me... got pedals with sounds that I absolutely loved, but the volume drop killed it for me.
SO MUCH THIS. Honestly, considering their reputation as LOUD pedals and that the company is run by Oliver Ackerman from A Place to Bury Strangers, the major issue I had with their Apocalypse fuzz was that it wasn't even remotely loud in comparison to most other fuzzes I had/have. It sounded amazing but I sold it so quickly because of this, barely had it for any time at all. Give me a volume boost any time. Drop my shit and it's immediately out of my pedal chain.
settings 1 and 2 are kind of quiet (maybe 3 too?) but the other settings are much MUCH higher than unity. I would be seeing whether your unit was broke or modded or something if the "octave rect" and "gain x1000" settings were anything other than stupidly loud.
Interesting. I definitely tried all the settings. Was really hoping the gain x 1000 WOULD be stupidly loud in fact. I read somewhere that all the DBA pedals were unity gain only though. I went from the Apocalypse to an EQD Hoof and the Hoof was massive sounding compared to the Apocalypse. Every time DBA does a pedal demo I’m always super impressed with how it sounds (I tend to like things on the “crushing “ end of the shoegaze spectrum) but that one pedal left such a bad taste with me that I’ve been too scared to try any of their others. Definitelt kind of relieved to know that it might just have been a defective one.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3509
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 am

RuffiansFC wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:43 am
...JHS keeps manipulating the used market with their favorite pedals videos.
Honestly I'm starting to wonder about stuff like that. I liked those videos for awhile but I am wondering if he's getting a kickback from Reverb now or something...
OSG Resident Yamaha Fanboy

User avatar
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:15 am

Lots of pedals I want, but because I have two eventides I must be conscious about the milliamps usage

User avatar
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: i can't use this pedal because...

Post by RuffiansFC » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:02 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 am
RuffiansFC wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:43 am
...JHS keeps manipulating the used market with their favorite pedals videos.
Honestly I'm starting to wonder about stuff like that. I liked those videos for awhile but I am wondering if he's getting a kickback from Reverb now or something...
I know BBE free fuzzes got super expensive all of a sudden. there was a video where he said something along the lines of "this pedal goes for around $50 on Reverb...for now." he knows what he's doing.

Post Reply