dc
Expat
Expat

Re: Looking for an OD to replace the dirt channel on Blues Deluxe

Post by dc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:49 pm

OmarAfzaal wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 pm
I'm thinking I might just try the Waza Super Overdrive
you should -- IMO these were kind of the "sleepers" of the first batch of Waza pedals. the delay, chorus and vibrato got all the attention, but the SD1W is pretty neat - 8)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:45 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 am

That really is a very similar setup to what I'm doing , and I'm really impressed with how good it sounds, like I'm sure yours does. What kind of a pre are you using, like an EP boost or something?
No, I've been using a Tech21 Leeds pedal for ages now as a floor pre between the dirt and the CDR. Based on a Hiwatt, so it gives me really nice full bodied cleans with a smooth attack. I really like it. I run it into a little power amp and a 112 cab. It's as loud as I could want, small, and light. All solid state, no maintenance, no worries. I'm glad you checked the CDR out on the strength of my recommendation, I'm kind of an evangelist for that pedal but it's earned the enthusiasm it seems to get from just about everyone who buys one. It really is one of the few pedals around that can be most things to most people and do a good job at it.

Edited for clarity
Last edited by mackerelmint on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is an excellent rectangle

Cpe4spd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Cpe4spd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:29 pm

Yea i'm on with that SD1 wasa also, do like it. But have not tried the Tech21 sounds good from your praises. :)
Sit Back, Shut Up and Hold On!

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:24 am

Try a Double Muff in both modes.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:28 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:45 am
No, I've been using a Tech21 Leeds pedal for ages now as a floor pre between the dirt and the CDR. Based on a Hiwatt, so it gives me really nice full bodied cleans with a smooth attack. I really like it. I run it into a little power amp and a 112 cab. It's as loud as I could want, small, and light. All solid state, no maintenance, no worries. I'm glad you checked the CDR out on the strength of my recommendation, I'm kind of an evangelist for that pedal but it's earned the enthusiasm it seems to get from just about everyone who buys one. It really is one of the few pedals around that can be most things to most people and do a good job at it.

Edited for clarity
Ah, that's interesting, something I may have to try out. I think I have something that may or may not be similar - a Catalinbread RAH, based on Page's custom Hiwatt with Marshall cabinets from the early '70s Royal Albert Hall show. I had been looking at it for quite a while, but actually got it recently to feed into the Iconoclast, along with one of their Galileo pedals, since they're both considered "foundation" pedals. They sounded kind of meh directly into the cab sim, but once I used the T5 amps to push the sim, that made a gigantic difference. I ended up getting the Barbers and sold the Galileo, but I'm going to check out to see if the RAH makes a good pre after the Barbers & before the Zoom, because it's a nice pedal. Or maybe see if it's better to switch between that feeding the amps & the Barbers, for 2 different sounds. Always another way...

Yeah, the Zoom has small limitations (mostly processor capacity), but it's really pretty amazing, good sounds. I recently programmed the one I'm using with the Barbers to replicate some of the pedals in chains that I'm using on my other pedalboards, and it does a very impressive job at mimicking what some pretty expensive pedals do. It is at least 3/4 of a pedalboard in one pedal - find the dirt pedals you like, and it will supply just about everything else you could want, as long as the chip has the capacity for everything in the chain. And I'm guessing you may know this, but there's a program to backup & transfer the settings in memory - Zoomlib. I like it, especially to program on 1 pedal and quickly copy the cool settings to the other one.

I have always read good things about Tech 21, but haven't had anything of theirs until recently. I bought the Geddy Lee rackmnount bass preamp and the Dug Kinnick bass preamp. I really like both of them a LOT, I need to check out some other stuff by them.

I would think that the SD-1 Waza would be a great version of the SD. Maybe that's the one I'll try out at GC, if I ever get around to dragging myself over there.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SY6655321 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:04 pm

Get a tube screamer, it'll save you a lot of time and money.