Filling a hole (or digging one)—delay-lay-lay-lay suggestions?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Filling a hole (or digging one)—delay-lay-lay-lay suggestions?

Post by Gavanti » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:49 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:46 pm
Just found this pedal on Prymaxe, and thought it sounded interesting. Mike Hermann always does the best delay demos. Nice and compact, has a ton of usable features too. I might look into one myself...
The EMMA looks really interesting. I’ve got it on my list to try down the road. Moving the Kilobyte before the Soothsayer and putting the Rubberneck between the Monument and Meteore has yielded good results. The tap tempo, delay length, and modulation all work well, and the two delays play nicely together and with the reverbs. No SOS unfortunately though, and I have to see whether the RN repeats hold up in a live mix. It is ridiculously easy to send the RN into oscillation.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:49 am

Gavanti wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:49 am
The EMMA looks really interesting. I’ve got it on my list to try down the road. Moving the Kilobyte before the Soothsayer and putting the Rubberneck between the Monument and Meteore has yielded good results. The tap tempo, delay length, and modulation all work well, and the two delays play nicely together and with the reverbs. No SOS unfortunately though, and I have to see whether the RN repeats hold up in a live mix. It is ridiculously easy to send the RN into oscillation.
So you've got delay before distortion, and reverb before delay before tremolo? You're a madman :D Kidding! I actually always liked reverb before delay, though I always treat tremolo as modulation, and don't do it at the end.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:12 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:49 am
Gavanti wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:49 am
So you've got delay before distortion, and reverb before delay before tremolo? You're a madman :D Kidding! I actually always liked reverb before delay, though I always treat tremolo as modulation, and don't do it at the end.
Yeah, it’s lots of dirt->Reverb->delay->more dirt->trem->delay->Reverb. I can make a sonic mess pretty quickly, but there are some good combos. The Meteore is pretty much always on as a substitute for amp Reverb (you can tell my autocorrect knows my shopping habits). That’s criminally underutilizing it, but it sounds so good that way. I was running trem last for awhile, but I’ve been liking it before delay lately. The chop still comes through pretty well.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:29 am

Gavanti wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:12 am
Yeah, it’s lots of dirt->Reverb->delay->more dirt->trem->delay->Reverb. I can make a sonic mess pretty quickly, but there are some good combos. The Meteore is pretty much always on as a substitute for amp Reverb (you can tell my autocorrect knows my shopping habits). That’s criminally underutilizing it, but it sounds so good that way. I was running trem last for awhile, but I’ve been liking it before delay lately. The chop still comes through pretty well.
That's awesome. I was always intrigued by the Meteore. Their Kilobyte is my favorite delay. I like putting effects in conventionally strange places, and I usually find something useful, especially when combining effects.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 am

Delay is hard. So many great choices.

I got rid of my timeline and bigsky for an RE-20 Space Echo.
I have a Dawner Prince Boonar for the echorec sounds (a bit of a floyd fan) But you could easily insert a belle epoch deluxe (echoplex) in it's place.
I have a carbon copy for really tight punchy slapback echo. That is all I use it for. It's great though. It has a really warm texture.

I mix delay and reverb a lot. and with a bit of rotary or chorus in front, maybe a bit of vibe or harmonic trem, you have a massive swathe of options available.

I would like to replace my carbon copy with an empress echosystem. it can do SOS in series or parallel. pretty much the winner for me.

I have a mate with an original maestro echoplex, and to be brutally honest, nothing can beat those original analog behemoths - especially the preamp. But they are fussy, noisy and expensive. Which is why I have an RE-20 and not an RE-201

But I would say those are some seriously great options and by no means the only ones - there are SO many delay pedals out there, you need to find one that works for you.

Believe it or not, what you're plugging into is just as important as the pedal - They are vastly different into my JC-120 than they are into the marshall 4x12 or the fender twin, The katana 100 is probably the most 'neutral' (or linear) response, and the JC-120 the most attack sensitive.

Probably best to try them out and see what works for you. There is a huge area to cover with delay.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm

beauzooka wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:46 am
Check out the DOD Rubberneck - analog delay with tap tempo and lots of weird features for nutz sounds.
Can be gotten for fairly cheap these days.
the Rubberneck is getting blown out for $119 right now -

https://www.proaudiostar.com/dod-rubber ... eschm8XXeM
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers