Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strymon Volante magentic echo

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:16 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:42 am
I had a Blue Sky a few years back. I had it for a good few months. I loved what I heard from the demos, but it didn't sound right to me.

It's like movie special effects: when they are practical effects, you know they're real because they look and feel real. But with CGI, even good CGI, you're not sure if it's real. That's how I felt with the Blue Sky. It's weird that I felt that way with reverb, as reverb is the one effect that sounding digital wouldn't be terrible thing compared to other effects for me.
mordecainyc wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:06 pm
This! So much. I've always had this exact feeling with Strymon pedals too, but never heard anyone else express it before.
You guys haven't spent any time over on The Gear Page then. :D Strymon has plenty of fans, but there is a vocal group of effects junkies over there that dog Strymon for this exact issue. Some silly words get thrown around like 'digital sheen' and 'sterile' but it is always a challenge trying to put how you hear things into words. If your gut instinct and ears are telling you that you just don't like a particular pedal's sound then that is that. I have certainly felt that way about pedals due to their sound. I've owned an El Capistan and a Timeline, and they were okay, but I moved them on. Right now I own five delay pedals and a Zoom BT100 (that has like 10 more digital delay pedal options), even if I really wanted a Volante, I could not justify it in any way.

As an aside, there is also a slight Coke/Pepsi rivalry between the Eventide and Strymon people which is kind of fun. :ph34r:

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 am

We live in a golden age of delay pedal options.

Count me among those who don't mesh with the strymon stuff. I had an El Capistan and it just never sounded "present" enough for my tastes. I can't quite express "why" here, but it falls into the same category as eventide delays (or at least whatever I've failed at making work in the H9) as well as some analog stuff, such as Carbon Copy, Malekko 600D, etc. Not quite as apparent or as depressing as whatever the Line 6 m9 (for example) does to your signal (like "the opposite of putting on new strings"). But the El Capistan was simply never quite "there" enough for me. The Boss RE-20 didn't sound as good but felt better.

Counterpoint: I'm diving into the Boss ME-5 and I'm totally infatuated with how the digital delay (low bit rate, probably cruddy converters) on there sounds and feels, even with the totally limited parameters.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 pm

While I don't care a lot for strymon Reverb, I must say they know how to do delay.

I was getting my Marr Jag set-up at my local shop and when I went to pick it up the guys told me to check out the new strymon. I thought what the heck, I'll give it a go...I went to their amp section where the pedal was sitting and it was plugged in stereo into two deluxe reverbs. OH MAN. Needless to say, I wish I had about 2.5k extra to spend, because if I did..I would have been leaving with two deluxe reverbs and that strymon...

Jeez it sounded so good...probably a match made in heaven for a marrguar.

I didn't play with it extensively, but the sound of those tape emulators blow my timefactor out of the water.

I've been thinking about getting the timeline to add to my current rig, but not so sure now if I should get this one.

Anyone know what the timeline would excel at over this?

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 am
We live in a golden age of delay pedal options.

Count me among those who don't mesh with the strymon stuff. I had an El Capistan and it just never sounded "present" enough for my tastes. I can't quite express "why" here, but it falls into the same category as eventide delays (or at least whatever I've failed at making work in the H9) as well as some analog stuff, such as Carbon Copy, Malekko 600D, etc. Not quite as apparent or as depressing as whatever the Line 6 m9 (for example) does to your signal (like "the opposite of putting on new strings"). But the El Capistan was simply never quite "there" enough for me. The Boss RE-20 didn't sound as good but felt better.
Cosigned.

I tried, really tried, to replace my moody Klemt Echolette with an El Capistan (or at least supplement it as a backup), and for the life of me I just couldn't make it work. I similarly had a hard time putting my finger on exactly why it wasn't doing it for me; I think cestlamort's "presence" description just about hits the nail on the head--I kept mentally reaching for a nonexistent "MORE" knob, and I think I really missed the random wobble of the Echolette's capstan wheel which the El Cap's "wow and flutter" control was never really able to replicate in any meaningful way. The Stymon's notable deficiency in magikal Klemt tube preamp compression was certainly a contributing factor to its booting too ;)

That said, I'd love to get my hands on a Volante for a few hours, even if I'm not likely to have the spare change for the foreseeable future. Who knows, maybe the 'feel' of Strymon tape echo sims has come a long way in the years since the El Cap was released?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 am

me; I think cestlamort's "presence" description just about hits the nail on the head--I kept mentally reaching for a nonexistent "MORE" knob, and I think I really missed the random wobble of the Echolette's capstan wheel which the El Cap's "wow and flutter" control was never really able to replicate in any meaningful way. The Stymon's notable deficiency in magikal Klemt tube preamp compression was certainly a contributing factor to its booting too.”

“Who knows, maybe the 'feel' of Strymon tape echo sims has come a long way in the years since the El Cap was released?
TLDR; yes, now you can have a present delay if you don’t go overboard dialing up all the settings to 10.

The pre amp compression is one thing this pedal has over the El Capistan. That and the ability to select multiple heads instead of the preset head selection are the two things I always wished the El Capistan had. I don’t know if it will sound like the Klemt, but no need to buy an EP Booster pedal anymore.

I missed a few things checking it out on my phone, but found I missed a few details besides there being 8 presets. The reverse playback and how Sound On Sound works now. The Wow and Flutter sound a bit more 3 dimensional and less “pasted on” but I was hoping they would be more randomized, after listening on better speakers, they are not.

One big improvement is moving the low end contour control to the front panel. It used to be a hidden feature and I don’t think most people knew it’s purpose.

On analog delays the high end is purposefully rolled off to conceal “clock noise “ from the BBD signal. Many people like this sound. It’s “warmer.” Most simulators of analog and tape devices simply roll of the high end, but miss out on an important fact. The Echoplex and Memory Man also roll off the low end!

The Memory Man sounded more like an Echoplex than other analog delays back in the day because of this. It has “presence” it is brighter and less murky compared to other analog delays. People like dark and muddy echoes, and it’s a cool sound, but it is not the sound of real tape, unless your machine is badly in need of a new tape or head cleaning.

Although the El Capistan has this control, it was hidden, and I don’t think most people used it or didn’t use it correctly. Now that it’s on the front panel it’s easier to access and they show it off several times in the videos. Most people really seemed to like the ambient wash of the El Capistan, lots of fans of that sound (the echoes become smeared and blur into an ambient bed of sound very quickly), but it lacks presence and doesn’t sound like tape...unless you adjust that control.

There are several examples in the video where they do and it sounds much more like a real Echoplex or Space Echo. The drum setting sounds like an Echorec minus the random wobble, but Strymon always went over the top with that anyway. Lots of players seem to like the sound of a half broken machine! You can still get those sounds, but now you can also have a delay that sits in the mix and doesn’t dissolve immediately into a blurry mess!

*Edit to add that the Eventide Timefactor is one of many that has a filter that only adjusts the high end, and it looses presence quickly because the low end doesn’t change.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 am

Like y'all said- the demo is extremely impressive. But the only Strymon pedal I like is the Deco, which does the studio echo thing. Add to that I've got an Echorec, a Belle Epoch, and an old DMM, and I see no need for a Volante, especially since I think the pedals I have sound better and are easier to use.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:40 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 am
Although the El Capistan has this control, it was hidden, and I don’t think most people used it or didn’t use it correctly. Now that it’s on the front panel it’s easier to access and they show it off several times in the videos. Most people really seemed to like the ambient wash of the El Capistan, lots of fans of that sound (the echoes become smeared and blur into an ambient bed of sound very quickly), but it lacks presence and doesn’t sound like tape...unless you adjust that control.
Every knob on the El Cap has a secondary function, so while it's not obvious I wouldn't say it was "hidden" because the pedal comes with an insert that labels all of them. They just ran out of space for the extra settings and the pedal is already covered in knobs and switches to begin with.

At least i'd hope most owners of the pedal knew about it, otherwise you're missing half of the settings.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Strymon fanboy here raising his hand (I’ve got a Deco, El Capistan, and Flint...I’ve also owned a Mobius and Brigadier but moved those on). I’ve had my El Cap for 7 years. I have other tape emulators that are more fun (Belle Epoch) but I don’t gig without the El Capistan. The Volante is interesting but I’m happy to stick to the El Cap.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 am
Add to that I've got an Echorec, a Belle Epoch, and an old DMM, and I see no need for a Volante, especially since I think the pedals I have sound better and are easier to use.
I've been after the Binson sound for a while. I've had both the Catalinbread Echorec and the Dawner Prince Boonar. I liked the buttons for the playback heads better on the Boonar, but it didn't sound nearly as good as the Echorec. The only one I haven't tried is the Echosex, but it doesn't have the multihead playback.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:21 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 am
Add to that I've got an Echorec, a Belle Epoch, and an old DMM, and I see no need for a Volante, especially since I think the pedals I have sound better and are easier to use.
I've been after the Binson sound for a while. I've had both the Catalinbread Echorec and the Dawner Prince Boonar. I liked the buttons for the playback heads better on the Boonar, but it didn't sound nearly as good as the Echorec. The only one I haven't tried is the Echosex, but it doesn't have the multihead playback.
I haven’t tried the Catalinbread version, but plenty seem to like it, I did try the Boonar after I saw a post you made a while back and came to the same conclusion. I liked the format, but found the sound lacking. My pseudo-Echorec using an El Capistan into a Timefactor sounds better and is more flexible, if not bigger and more complicated to set up.

Still intrigued by the Volante and if it would replace the El Capistan if I can find room on my board for it. Right now I think I would have to put it in the Timefactor spot and something smaller sized like the Source Audio Nemesis to take over digital delay duties in place of the El Capistan, but then I would be replacing two pedals I like and know with two unknowns.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 am
I haven’t tried the Catalinbread version, but plenty seem to like it, I did try the Boonar after I saw a post you made a while back and came to the same conclusion. I liked the format, but found the sound lacking. My pseudo-Echorec using an El Capistan into a Timefactor sounds better and is more flexible, if not bigger and more complicated to set up.
I liked the format except the sideways pedals. I never liked those. The sound didn't capture my soul, but the layout was something else I really detested. It's sad that now with Howard gone, we'll likely never get an Echorec Deluxe like the Belle Epoch.

El Capistan into a Timefactor sounds interesting, but that set up is HUGE!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:53 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:42 am
mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 am
Have you used Strymon pedals before? Nothing lackluster about them. They're the real deal.

I know what you mean though. I've tried a lot of terrible digital stuff in the past. Strymon is up there with Fractal and Kemper as the heralds of a new era of digital stuff that actually sounds - and feels - incredible.
I had a Blue Sky a few years back. I had it for a good few months. I loved what I heard from the demos, but it didn't sound right to me.

It's like movie special effects: when they are practical effects, you know they're real because they look and feel real. But with CGI, even good CGI, you're not sure if it's real. That's how I felt with the Blue Sky. It's weird that I felt that way with reverb, as reverb is the one effect that sounding digital wouldn't be terrible thing compared to other effects for me.

It also didn't help that Strymon really packs things in with hidden features, which is also something I'm not a fan of with pedals.
Man, I’ve had the total opposite experience with the Blue Sky- it’s more organic and interactive with different dynamics and gain levels either before or after the pedal than any other reverb pedal I’ve tried. To me it just has that feel and responds to your playing in a way I’ve never found with another reverb.
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm

NBarnes21 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:53 pm
Man, I’ve had the total opposite experience with the Blue Sky- it’s more organic and interactive with different dynamics and gain levels either before or after the pedal than any other reverb pedal I’ve tried. To me it just has that feel and responds to your playing in a way I’ve never found with another reverb.
That's cool. Glad someone likes it ;D Ever try a Red Panda Context?

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:08 pm

I just took delivery of the Volante a couple days ago and officially think my pedal board is full ha.

My impressions so far:
- This pedal sounds great out of the box! Having watched a few of the videos on this pedal I found it pretty easy and intuitive to dial in different and usable sounds right away.
- Build quality is top notch, as to be expected with Strymon. Love the silent switches too. This is definitely the quietest pedal on my board.
- The drum and studio settings sound awesome, the tape setting sounds OK, but is slightly uninspiring. Especially compared to the Belle Epoch Deluxe which to my ears has a far superior sound as a pure tape-style delay (plus the preamp! :? )
- Maybe I haven't spent enough time with the pedal yet but it seems like the first repeat's volume can be controlled while the feedback repeat's volume cannot? I kind of wish under some circumstances I could have the echos be louder...this is much easier to dial in on the Catalinbred. Again, this might just be user error on my part.
- Sound on sound is awesome and one of the main reasons I was interested in this pedal. Having used all sorts of different loopers in the past, this feels very intuitive and easy to use. The easiest looper I've used has been the Akai Headrush and this looper feels just as simple to use, plus it has additional features. The studio setting seems to keep the loop intact the longest before it starts to degrade (unless you hit the infinite button of course). My only gripe is that there is no seamless way to kick the loop into reverse without hearing a little bit of a "hiccup" if that makes sense. The timing of the loop isn't effected but it's always super obvious when you switch from normal to reverse. Not sure if this is something that can be addressed in firmware updates but it's the only thing that bugs me with the looper.
- If you can, play this thing in stereo. The panning options are cool and make for a great lush spread.
- Again, this pedal sounds great. Like I said before, strictly as a tape delay pedal, I find the Catalinbred to sound better. However, this pedal does not sound bad by any stretch of the imagination, the catalinbred just has that great preamp built in. I will say, the Strymon is a bit lusher and fills space much quicker so it is nice to have two different delay "flavors" at hand.

Anyway, here it is in place on my board. You can see it's about the same size as the Eventide Space:

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks for the review. I really like the repeats division and Fibonacci ratios and the sound of the magnetic echoes, but I would be disappointed that the tape delay was lacking. The El Capistan covers that well enough and has a smaller footprint. I might try the Volante out, but I can get what I want with my El Capistan and Timefactor combo, so I guess I will stick with that.