Tube Town 6G15 reverb. Thoughts?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tube Town 6G15 reverb. Thoughts?

Post by Paul-T » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 am

I know this site has always been a great resource for standalone reverbs, with great threads from Porkyprimecuts, Kikey's surfybear resource and others.

My main amps these days are a 54 Champ and a Park (Marshall) 20W LE; I'm currently adding a 10 inch cab to the Champ.

But I miss the luscious reverb from my old silverface Bandmaster (although not its weight and ridiculous volume).

I want to get a reverb without (as I so often do) going over the top and taking on another endless project. I like the look of the surfybear kit, but I'm more drawn to a valve unit for reasons explained in a bit.

I have agreed with my amp tech that he'll help me look over a kit if I build one; and hence I am thinking seriously about the Tube Town kit. It's not another huge project, it's not as expensive as the full 6K6 jobby, but should give me most of the sound. And I figure it should give me more experience that might lead up to a small reverb combo at some point (that's why I'm not going for a Surfybear, I want to get experience of working with valves). In particular, I thought I'd get/borrow a router, so this would be good practice in making a cabinet and tolex recovering etc. I've built fuzzboxes etc in the past (and rewired our dishwasher PCB) so I have some, albeit limited experience.

i reckoned that, especially if I modify the cab to use a longer reverb tank, this will get me most of the Bansmaster reverb sound, without spending an absolute fortune.

But few people seem to have built this design. No one on here that I can see. Do the mods they've made bring any drawbacks? Tubetown have a more Fender-like model too, but that's more money and doesn't match the original aesthetic either.

Has anyone tried this unit, or have any comments? Or tried any other tube town kits and has any comments? TIA

"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'