Looking for a delay.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Berlin!
Contact:

Looking for a delay.

Post by Zork » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:48 pm

I just bought a flashback x4 and while it sounds incredibly good I'm really really disappointed that it doesn't do self oscillation and alters pitch in the analogue delay emulations when you tweak the delay time. Believe me I was shocked when I found out! :wtf:
I was looking in some other delays I might flip it for but I didn't found a delay that ticks the following boxes:
* trails!
* pitch modulated delays (memory man style)
* self oscillation
* laser guns and earthquakes when self oscillating
* tap tempo with different ratios
* around 150€ used, max 200
* bonus points for an fx loop in the delay path
* bonus points for a tone control

There must be something out there, right?

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 9:13 am

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by Harmoncj » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:56 pm

you want that DOD Rubberneck!

Image

User avatar
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Berlin!
Contact:

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by Zork » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 pm

:w00t: I do! Oh yes, I do! Ha! Thank you. Wow. :w00t:

User avatar
garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:29 am
Location: NYC

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by garyfanclub » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 am

Per the other thread... Maxon AD-900?

User avatar
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Berlin!
Contact:

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by Zork » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:01 am

Got the Rubberneck in the mail today. Can't test it because I don't have a power supply at home. :fp:

User avatar
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6730
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Burbs of Washington DC

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 pm

garyfanclub wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 am
Per the other thread... Maxon AD-900?
The Rubberneck really does sound perfect for him! :)

Sounds like the OP needs a little more control; the Maxon AD-900 I got (courtesy of the other thread) is great, but mine doesn't self-oscillate. Also it doesn't have tap-tempo and sub-divisions .

User avatar
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Berlin!
Contact:

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by Zork » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm

It really is perfect for me. I don't even know why I didn't have it on my radar yet. I knew it was out there for some time but didn't really look at it. On the other hand it was maybe the perfect timing because it just dropped massively in price at Thomann. Couldn't be happier. ;D

User avatar
kosmonautmayhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5675
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:26 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by kosmonautmayhem » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 pm
garyfanclub wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 am
Per the other thread... Maxon AD-900?
The Rubberneck really does sound perfect for him! :)

Sounds like the OP needs a little more control; the Maxon AD-900 I got (courtesy of the other thread) is great, but mine doesn't self-oscillate. Also it doesn't have tap-tempo and sub-divisions .
Agree! And Glad you dig the DOD! I like the form factor a lot. I'm definitely intrigued by these. 8)

Re: Your AD-900. I had one that wouldn't oscillate. Not sure why some are like that. Most of them oscillate beautifully after barely hanging on the edge of meltdown. :unsure:

User avatar
kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by kamillebidan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Hey there guys, I hope the OP doesn't mind my hijacking of this thread.
I have a similar problem/search to OP's, and didn't see the point in making an entirely new thread about it.

I was initially interested in a TC Triple Delay, but I read that it does not self-oscillate too well. It sucks because it is almost what I am really looking for: separate delay lines/channels that can be run simultaneously (with trails!) but can be turned off and on independently.

Now some might say just get two separate pedals and be done with it, but pedal board space is limited and I am looking to downsize to a single enclosure. I am mainly a DD-3 and DD-5 user, I like digital delay (just what I am used to and enjoy) and don't necessarily need that analog "warmth" but more options aren't a negative by any means.

My ideal pedal is something that can act like two DD-3s with total control over both delays but still be able to turned off and on at will with a foot-switch. I was eyeing the DD-500, but it seems like that may be a bit too expensive at this point, but if anyone has any experience with it, please share!

The main things I am looking for are:

- At least two independent and controllable delay channels
- Both delays can be turned on/off independently with separate foot-switches
- self-oscillation and trails

The closest things I can find are either the DD-500, Gremlin Seer and Sorcerer (no clips anywhere unfortunately), Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay (pretty much perfect if it were not so huge and clunky) and the Keeley Delay Workstation (which is really a reverb/delay pedal but the reverb channel can be turned into a delay). The problems with most of these is either they are bit too big, or have features I really don't need that could have saved real estate (tap tempo, modulation).

So, I wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions? I'm almost thinking I should give up and just buy two delays with switchable channels (not independent) and just have make do with 4 potential options of delay in two boxes rather than 2 delays in a single one...

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:11 am

I didn't had a chance to try it myself...but this sounds like a case for the JPTR FX Fernweh!

Two Delays in one housing, each with induvidual controls, some weird interactions or just a straightforward delay... as you like it to be. Additional infinity switch which always is a big bonus for me (as long as it works better than the one from the Rubberneck)

Here is Andy playing it:
https://youtu.be/cy8DPYNITN0

User avatar
kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by kamillebidan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:25 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:11 am
I didn't had a chance to try it myself...but this sounds like a case for the JPTR FX Fernweh!

Two Delays in one housing, each with induvidual controls, some weird interactions or just a straightforward delay... as you like it to be. Additional infinity switch which always is a big bonus for me (as long as it works better than the one from the Rubberneck)

Here is Andy playing it:
https://youtu.be/cy8DPYNITN0
I actually did look into this before posting, and it would be perfect... if it was able to have either delay turned off and on individually. Unfortunately you can only switch between the two, and can only "mix" between the two with their respective mix knobs. Still a really cool device, and I like the switch to move between times in real-time.

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:22 am

I guess 4 footswitches would just have been too much! 😜
But you could always turn the mix of one down to have one only. Not the most convenient way, but it is possible.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 am

+Whatever on the Rubberneck. I've had it for several months and it's really a great delay. I'm not overly crazy about the modulation sounds or the added footswitch features, but just as far as being a really solid analog delay with tap tempo I really can't ask for more. I just ignore the other stuff.
OSG Resident Yamaha Fanboy

User avatar
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6730
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Burbs of Washington DC

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 am
+Whatever on the Rubberneck. I've had it for several months and it's really a great delay. I'm not overly crazy about the modulation sounds or the added footswitch features, but just as far as being a really solid analog delay with tap tempo I really can't ask for more. I just ignore the other stuff.
I do the same thing with the Rubberneck, and their way more expensive tap tempo analog delays I have, the Moogerfooger 104M and the EAR AD4096 MKII. It begs the question: why the hell do I even buy fancy delay pedals if all I want/need are the basic sounds? I don't have a good answer for that, and I do mess around with the weirder sounds now and again.

Analog delay with tap tempo rules. 8)

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Looking for a delay.

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:06 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 am
+Whatever on the Rubberneck. I've had it for several months and it's really a great delay. I'm not overly crazy about the modulation sounds or the added footswitch features, but just as far as being a really solid analog delay with tap tempo I really can't ask for more. I just ignore the other stuff.
I do the same thing with the Rubberneck, and their way more expensive tap tempo analog delays I have, the Moogerfooger 104M and the EAR AD4096 MKII. It begs the question: why the hell do I even buy fancy delay pedals if all I want/need are the basic sounds? I don't have a good answer for that, and I do mess around with the weirder sounds now and again.

Analog delay with tap tempo rules. 8)
Honestly, probably because it's hard to find stuff that IS like this without people adding a bunch of crap to it? Like, Honestly I could make do with half the knobs on the thing and often find myself cursing it out when I knock something in a performance I didn't expect. That being said, it still sounds great and the more time I spend with it the more time I learn how to make it work.
OSG Resident Yamaha Fanboy

Post Reply