Who makes an accurate brownface-style Harmonic Vibrato in a pedal?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Who makes an accurate brownface-style Harmonic Vibrato in a pedal?

Post by Embenny » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:47 am

I've had a longstanding fascination with the brownface Harmonic Vibrato circuit. It's different-sounding from the Magnatone vibrato and some other pitch-based effects out there.

I've heard and tried a bunch of vibrato pedals, but none of them have really nailed the Brownface circuit's tone.

Does anyone know of a faithful stompbox version?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Who makes an accurate brownface-style Harmonic Vibrato in a pedal?

Post by popvulture » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:04 am

A lot of people like the harmonic trem on the Strymon Flint, and I definitely won't argue with that. I can sorta take or leave a lot of their offerings, but the Flint is great... it's just offers a lot of good sounds, very useful and practical. I tend to lean more towards the blackface trem setting, but that's just personal taste.

EDIT: having just played my Flint again tonight, it's not the blackface trem I like... that one sounds weirdly like crap. Too choppy and unlike the blackface trem (IMO). The other two are awesome though.
Last edited by popvulture on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 am

I love my flint and the harmonic tremolo setting is amazing. However I think the Catlinbread Pareidolia is the best Brown Face replica to my ears.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks for the replies. I tried a Flynt and maybe I didn't find the sweet spot, but it wasn't nailing the medium-slow, thick harmonic vibrato that is my favourite setting on brownface amps. Maybe I need to give it a second chance.

The Pareidolia I hadn't heard before, though. Checked out some demos and it might be the ticket. Will see if I can track down one to try, thanks!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

apreswho
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by apreswho » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Obviously not sure what you played it through, but keep in mind the flint wont replicate the circuit/vibe of the amp itself...as in, using that vibrato sound through a vox wont quite give you the same swampy vibe. Im sure this is an obvious thing, but just throwing it out there

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 am

I seem to remember the Supro Trem doing a really good harmonic Trem sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3PP9zyyO9Q

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:02 am

The Surfy Trem (by Surfy Industries) is said to have a switch between Brownface and Blackface style Tremolo (or Vibrato as the amp suggests). It's also available as a almost ready to go diy-kit (only enclosure, knobs and power-supply need to be added, the rest is already soldered).

EDIT: They also do offer a vibrato pedal (no diy kit yet as far as I know) the Surfy vibe which is based on a magnatone Vibrato.

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:11 am

I bought one of the 20 first run edition SurfyTrem pedals on recommendation of SanchoPansen (who helped fine-tune it with his brownface amp). I have no direct comparison myself, but if you are looking for that "Bang Bang" Nancy Sinatra sound, you just found it...

In general, Björn's FET approach is great for everything clean. His surfy Bear circuit for use with real spring tanks lead to a lot of Fender Reverb tube tank units being sold on... And he is a great guy to deal with, and a patient supporter for his customers (himself being driven by enthusiasm rather than commercial interest). SurferJoe helped him with the business side but SurfyIndustries is truely a community driven company (other than "industries" suggests).

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:27 am

novamax wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:11 am
I bought one of the 20 first run edition SurfyTrem pedals on recommendation of SanchoPansen (who helped fine-tune it with his brownface amp). I have no direct comparison myself, but if you are looking for that "Bang Bang" Nancy Sinatra sound, you just found it...

In general, Björn's FET approach is great for everything clean. His surfy Bear circuit for use with real spring tanks lead to a lot of Fender Reverb tube tank units being sold on... And he is a great guy to deal with, and a patient supporter for his customers (himself being driven by enthusiasm rather than commercial interest). SurferJoe helped him with the business side but SurfyIndustries is truely a community driven company (other than "industries" suggests).
This!
I have had a SurfyTrem from the first run too. The sound was really good. Closer to the original than Flint. The only issue I had was a serious volume drop when engaging the pedal. I was told by Björn and Surfer Joe that the idea behind the first run was to keep the pedal always on and adjust depth and speed on the fly.

In the officially released versionl they have an internal volume trim pot to compensate for volume loss when engaging the effect. So, problem solved.
One thing to consider, if that is important to you, the SurfyTrem is by design not TB.

Another good option is the Vertigo Tremolo by Source Audio. Tweakable, sounds great and is affordable.

Hope this helps.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 pm

I just picked up a Quaverato kit from Zeppelin Sound labs. Will report back once I get it assesmbled.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:11 pm

I actually got a Zellelin Quad-whatever and it’s VERY cool. Super neato vibratos. I haven’t messed with it enough (damn you work!), but it reminds me of something old. It changes the tone also, loses a tiny bit of highs and sounds “warmer.” I love it! I have to put it in front of the reverb though, or the effect gets completely washed away. I play surf so, yeah...

They referred me to page 12 of the manual to change the tone, which I have not yet done.

Oh yeah - I have never heard the Fender Brown Harmonic Vibrato in real life so I kinda have nothing to compare it to.