Help me find this analogue compressor - Zoom Ms/ G5/ G3

Everyone needs a stompbox.
simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help me find this analogue compressor - Zoom Ms/ G5/ G3

Post by simonhpieman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 am

So I've been using a Zoom MS50G for the past few years. Why buy a pedal tuner when you can get a pedal multi-fx for the same price?! And it's a REALLY good one compared to the fizzy old Zoom 2100 I had years ago that made teenage me go analogue.

But I digress. The M-Comp compressor on this thing is the absolute nuts. It just sounds perfect with my strat run into it. When I play abroad I can't take my whole pedalboard so I normally run the MS50 on M-comp straight into the amp. My bandmates tell me how great it sounds. Some famous pro players that happened to be there told me how great it sounds. It DOES sound great! If it sounds good, then go with it, right?

But there's a little niggle in me that wants to make sure a pedal that's as always on as a compressor is analogue. Call it snobbery, call it pursuit of m0j0 and teh t0nz, but there it is. I have an effects loop on my main board to completely bypass the digital MS60 until I need it (I mainly use it for all the different modulation effects I use once a night). So I wanted to get an analogue equivalent of the M-Comp, that being the best of the included compressors.

I got a Marshall Edward the Compressor having tried it alongside the Boss, MXR and a couple of others my local shop had in up to about £100. The Marshall is ok and was by far the best of the ones I tried. For £25 you could argue it's outstanding, but it's still not quite the equivalent of the M-comp.

So, does anyone know what Zoom might have modeled it on? Most of Zoom's effect models are obvious enough: Large Muff (Big Muff), Squeak (Rat) etc, particularly when combined with the shameless graphics they use, but I'm not so into pedals that this one jumps out at me.

The graphic suggests a black pedal with stripes. A couple of pics of what I mean are linked below.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

This is from the B3 but the graphic is the same on the MS and G3
https://goo.gl/images/3bHR2L

This graphic looks like it's from their computer editor for the G3/G5.
https://goo.gl/images/A5aKGJ

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me find this analogue compressor - Zoom Ms/ G5/ G3

Post by BearBoy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:22 am

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me find this analogue compressor - Zoom Ms/ G5/ G3

Post by simonhpieman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:04 am

Thanks mate. Might be... Not as many controls on the EBS as there are the M-Comp... I'll definitely look into it.

Any other ideas?