PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How do you use delay?

Post by popvulture » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:09 pm
popvulture wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:27 am
Deluxe Memory Man – Really the be all, end all if you ask me. I've got a big box version (with adapter vs hard wired power) that really just blows everything else I own away.
Ever try the Jam Pedals Delay Llama? Hearing it in demos, I always thought of it as a modern clone of the DMM, but I don't see them locally almost ever.
I have! I had a Delay Llama+ for a while there and really liked the sound of it, but ended up selling it for a couple of reasons. It didn't have modulation, so couldn't really get into that DMM territory exactly... it also sounded surprisingly cleaner in person than I was expecting. That was certainly fine—it was very pretty, just not what I was looking for. The other thing was that the momentary switch on it didn't really do a whole lot, basically acting as a multiplier for your existing feedback settings. So if you wanted to have, say, a mellow tone with not a ton of feedback, the momentary switch would only boost the repeats a little bit and you wouldn't really get any self-oscillation. You could get that runaway sound if you set the repeats a lot higher, but that sorta defeated the purpose (in my mind) of having the extra switch. FWIW I messed with the trim pot a bit and it didn't help much.

I really like some of their other pedals I've played though, particularly the rangemaster and the fuzz face.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 pm

popvulture wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 am
Ever try the Jam Pedals Delay Llama? Hearing it in demos, I always thought of it as a modern clone of the DMM, but I don't see them locally almost ever.
I have! I had a Delay Llama+ for a while there and really liked the sound of it, but ended up selling it for a couple of reasons. It didn't have modulation, so couldn't really get into that DMM territory exactly... it also sounded surprisingly cleaner in person than I was expecting. That was certainly fine—it was very pretty, just not what I was looking for. The other thing was that the momentary switch on it didn't really do a whole lot, basically acting as a multiplier for your existing feedback settings. So if you wanted to have, say, a mellow tone with not a ton of feedback, the momentary switch would only boost the repeats a little bit and you wouldn't really get any self-oscillation. You could get that runaway sound if you set the repeats a lot higher, but that sorta defeated the purpose (in my mind) of having the extra switch. FWIW I messed with the trim pot a bit and it didn't help much.

I really like some of their other pedals I've played though, particularly the rangemaster and the fuzz face.
[/quote]

Good to know! If I ended up getting one, I probably would just get the standard, not the +. I love modulated delays, but I'm looking for something for my bass rig, and I likely won't get a modulated delay for bass. This sounds like it might be a contender for that rig as I think the clean sound would lend itself nicely to bass.

I haven't tried any of their other stuff, but I really like what I've heard of their leslie, the tremolo (:?), and the Red Muck. I didn't even know they made a Rangemaster clone.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:10 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:14 am
I'm a set and forget guy.
Same here (mostly at least).

I have two delays on my main board: a DBA Echo Dream 2 and an Ibanez DE-7 in the Echo mode. Both set to a rather short (I guess it still counts as slapback? ~160-240ms?) delay time. I use one for fattening things up (the Ibanez) and the other one for more texture (+ a little modulation). Tap Tempo would be a feature totally wasted on me. I had the extra control for my DD-7. Sold both. Reverse was fun but I didn't use it in my new band. Ever.
I would love to have a self oscillation feature - I'm going to mod my Deep Blue Delay Clone to that need soon. Hopefully it works out!

FRV-1 Reverb is always on. Combined with one of three fuzzes (80% of the time). Rhythm and partially lead player in a Garage-Psych-Heavy-Surf Band.

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by popvulture » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 pm
If I ended up getting one, I probably would just get the standard, not the +. I love modulated delays, but I'm looking for something for my bass rig, and I likely won't get a modulated delay for bass. This sounds like it might be a contender for that rig as I think the clean sound would lend itself nicely to bass.
Cool! Since you don't need modulation, I'd maybe check out something like a Maxon AD9 or an older Malekko Echo 600 if you haven't already! They're both a bit more interesting to my ears than the JAM. Nothing crazy, just a little darker/warmer maybe. All the buzzwords, haha.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:48 am

popvulture wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
If I ended up getting one, I probably would just get the standard, not the +. I love modulated delays, but I'm looking for something for my bass rig, and I likely won't get a modulated delay for bass. This sounds like it might be a contender for that rig as I think the clean sound would lend itself nicely to bass.
Cool! Since you don't need modulation, I'd maybe check out something like a Maxon AD9 or an older Malekko Echo 600 if you haven't already! They're both a bit more interesting to my ears than the JAM. Nothing crazy, just a little darker/warmer maybe. All the buzzwords, haha.
I've had my eye on a Maxon AD900/AD999 for awhile now. How is the AD9 compared to its larger brothers?

I'm kinda considering a Keeley Doubletracker for my guitar board. I've noticed a number of people like short repeats and slap-back. Anyone ever try one?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 pm

oh i forgot to mention the other thing i use delay for.

self oscillation noise jams at the end of the set/song.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by popvulture » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:13 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:48 am
popvulture wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I've had my eye on a Maxon AD900/AD999 for awhile now. How is the AD9 compared to its larger brothers?

I'm kinda considering a Keeley Doubletracker for my guitar board. I've noticed a number of people like short repeats and slap-back. Anyone ever try one?
I think the bigger box ADs have pretty much the same sound, just longer delay times, so just depends on if you wanna go into longer territory or not. I will say the AD9 is great for being small and simple, but it has left me wanting a little longer settings a couple times over the years. Like I said though, I mainly use it for short stuff because I think that's what it's particularly great at. FWIW I think the AD900 sounds a little better, but it uses a weird adapter, so might not be the easiest thing to work on to a pedalboard unless you've got a courtesy outlet (even that can be a pain, though).

I have one of those Keeley 30ms Double Trackers as well. I bought it for doing doubled melody lines, and it does a pretty good job of that. At a lot of the settings, it really just sounds like slow chorus (cool in its own right), but if you fiddle with it enough it will sound nearly spot-on double tracked. The slapback settings are great, too—I just don't really use them too much since I've got other stuff covering that turf. But when I've been playing with it and decided to mess with the slapback a bit, my reaction has always been "ooh, that sounds super nice."

postpostrock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postpostrock » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 am

I use it for texture or thickness. I play some ambient type stuff a lot and it helps in creating a wash, a wall of sound, or just for sustain/presence. It’s usually paired with reverb for me.
I use a Walrus ARP-87 and a VFE Blueprint.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 am

This has all been very helpful folks, thank you! :-*
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 am

popvulture wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:13 am
I think the bigger box ADs have pretty much the same sound, just longer delay times, so just depends on if you wanna go into longer territory or not. I will say the AD9 is great for being small and simple, but it has left me wanting a little longer settings a couple times over the years. Like I said though, I mainly use it for short stuff because I think that's what it's particularly great at. FWIW I think the AD900 sounds a little better, but it uses a weird adapter, so might not be the easiest thing to work on to a pedalboard unless you've got a courtesy outlet (even that can be a pain, though).

I have one of those Keeley 30ms Double Trackers as well. I bought it for doing doubled melody lines, and it does a pretty good job of that. At a lot of the settings, it really just sounds like slow chorus (cool in its own right), but if you fiddle with it enough it will sound nearly spot-on double tracked. The slapback settings are great, too—I just don't really use them too much since I've got other stuff covering that turf. But when I've been playing with it and decided to mess with the slapback a bit, my reaction has always been "ooh, that sounds super nice."
I definitely like going into longer delay times sometimes. I don't know that I'll need it as much on bass, but it would be nice to have. Personally, I'd love to have an EQD Dispatch Master that's delay only, and warmer/analog-sounding delays. I've got a Space Spiral on my guitar board, but I probably wouldn't use the modulation on bass. I think I just need to find a tape-sounding delay for the bass rig...

That's pretty cool about the 30ms'. Chorus and chorus-like sounds aren't something I dig on guitar, but I could see using some of that for some funky effects too...

Meme Library
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Meme Library » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 am

Anyone here use an El Capistan? I'm new to delay pedals and have been fun messing with it. Anyone have any favorite settings they could recommend?

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:36 am

zhivago wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:14 am
I'm a set and forget guy.
Always on, mostly as atmosphere / trying to have a tape echo feel.

Me, too. I pretty much learned how to play guitar with an ibanez ad80 on (a few repeats at a long-ish delay time for the unit, maybe 250 ms), so that it has a full-sounding dark wash behind the guitar. Funnily, I've gone through a number of delays over the years, but have always leaned toward using delay as a way of filling space rather than some rhythmic back n forth thing. I'm now (again) using an Ibanez UE405 for delay: always on, never changing the delay time.

I feel like the ad9, ad202, ad900 are related, but don't quite have the same magical murk that the ad80 does.

Other favorite: big box deluxe memory man. It just makes everything sound "better" to my ears, but the first few repeats stay cleaner/brighter than with the Ibanez ad80/405. (I had Roland RE-501 that sounded great but didn't work right or reliably. In retrospect, I should have invested in whatever it took to get it back up and running).

The Boss DM-2w I tried out had a totally different character than the ibanez ones, especially at shorter delay times and would be worth investigating as an effect rather than coloring. (To me the AD80 is great at long times or slap back, but not so interesting in between. The DM-2w had some sounds I'd never gotten before -- not unlike the first time I played a strat after only using hollowbodies for years -- whoah, that's where that sound comes from)

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Meme Library wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 am
Anyone here use an El Capistan? I'm new to delay pedals and have been fun messing with it. Anyone have any favorite settings they could recommend?
I used to run a Deluxe Memoryman into a Roland Chorus Echo or DEP-5. Now I run an El Capistan into an Eventide Timefactor. I usually use the El Capistan as an ambience machine and the Timefactor for rhythmic delay.

As for the El Capistan, since I have a working tape echo, I know what one sounds like, and that means not a lot of wow and flutter. The El Capistan is capable of a lot of grunge, and a lot of players like that, but a working machine doesn’t sound like that. I add a little for movement, but just a little. This also hides the fact that on a real tape echo the movement is random, and not like an LFO timed to the repeats.

I generally use a Space Echo setting and tap in the time. No reverb. Just a bit of wow and flutter. No crinkle.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:11 am

Meme Library wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 am
I've bought one recently to replace my DD-6. They're completely different and for now I like how you can use the El Capistan to make dirtier repeats. I've mostly used delays to make some feedback, and am now learning how to do swells. I use Mix at 3 o' clock, Repeats at 2 o' clock, a relatively long time and medium tape age. I like wow & flutter actually so I have that dialed in quite a bit.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:03 am

I am 'set & forget' so I got sick of having to change the delay time every few minutes, and so now I don't really use a delay pedal anymore. Always-on RV-6 in "+delay" mode is nice and subtle, plus 2 other reverbs for other needs. The DD-7 now mostly just gets used when I do weird stuff.