Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Boss WAZA pedal

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm

popvulture wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:22 pm
Tbh I'd just buy an original Metal Zone if I were you... you should easily be able to get one for under 50 bucks, and I wouldn't spend more on it.

Re: the Dim C, not sure about the Juno chorus. I have a Juno 60 but don't even really know how to compare em aurally since chorus (to my ears at least) sounds SO different on guitar vs synth. BUT, the Dim C sounds fantastic... I usually hate chorus because it's insta-80s, but that's kinda exactly what's good about that pedal—it does the 80s thing absolutely perfectly. Reminds me of everything from new wave stuff to clean metal breakdowns/intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8rZHKwizQ

Not sure what's "improved" about the new one, since they usually do something new to the Wazas... need to read up.

Fwiw my fave chorus is still a good ol' Small Clone. :)
I don't know if I could buy a standard MT-2: I had a Keeley-modded one some time ago that sounded really killer. I wouldn't mind having that back or getting another if I could find it cheap, but I'm really curious if they did anything different with the Waza version.

On guitar, I'm the same: I don't usually like playing through chorus. I love the way certain people make it sound, but whenever I try it myself, it just sounds wrong. But on synth it sounds amazing.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 pm

$4 + postage. Solves the Waza hate ;)

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm
[...] but I'm really curious if they did anything different with the Waza version.
The custom mode on the MT-2w utilizes sharper Q shapes in the EQ so it sounds tighter in the low end and less washy/hissy in the mids and highs. I'm digging this new custom mode from what I've heard of it so far.

As far as the DM-2w goes is it considered more of a stereo spreader than a chorus? This would explain the name a little more and how a lot of people rave about how it sounds in the stereo configuration.
If OSG has tort me anything...

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:59 am

popvulture wrote:
Re: the Dim C, not sure about the Juno chorus. I have a Juno 60 but don't even really know how to compare em aurally since chorus (to my ears at least) sounds SO different on guitar vs synth.
I had added an input on my Juno so I could play guitar through the filter and chorus, I remember them sounding quite alike on guitar, no idea how accurate that memory is on that though.

Old poly synths do not work well with external inputs, their voices cycled, so input was on voice one, hit the key until voice 1 triggered, the hit the key 5 more times and set a weight on it for the sixth. You could not really just hold down 6 keys since with the DCOs off the noise of all 6 voices was abit much without DCOs drowning it out.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:25 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 am
The custom mode on the MT-2w utilizes sharper Q shapes in the EQ so it sounds tighter in the low end and less washy/hissy in the mids and highs. I'm digging this new custom mode from what I've heard of it so far.

As far as the DM-2w goes is it considered more of a stereo spreader than a chorus? This would explain the name a little more and how a lot of people rave about how it sounds in the stereo configuration.
I definitely need to try one in stereo I think.

That's REALLY cool about the MT-2w. I need to find more videos of it. I haven't seen a ton yet.
oid wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:59 am
popvulture wrote:
Re: the Dim C, not sure about the Juno chorus. I have a Juno 60 but don't even really know how to compare em aurally since chorus (to my ears at least) sounds SO different on guitar vs synth.
I had added an input on my Juno so I could play guitar through the filter and chorus, I remember them sounding quite alike on guitar, no idea how accurate that memory is on that though.
The Juno chorus and the Dimension-C sounded similar per memory?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:25 am
It has been nearly 20 years but that is the memory, I do not really remember what either sounded like, but I remember thinking this sounds like the chorus in my Juno. I will not vouch for the reliability of my 20 year old self though, not to say that I was unreliable, just that I was 20.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:34 am

oid wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:25 am
It has been nearly 20 years but that is the memory, I do not really remember what either sounded like, but I remember thinking this sounds like the chorus in my Juno. I will not vouch for the reliability of my 20 year old self though, not to say that I was unreliable, just that I was 20.
That's all good. I was just clarifying that you meant the Juno and the Dimension-C, and not some other chorus that I may have missed reading through the posts. I thought that's what you meant, but didn't want to misread that just in case.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:51 am

Curiosity got me and I dug out the schematics. They are somewhat different, the Dimension C uses a 1024 stage BBD and the Juno uses a 256 stage, so the dimension C can get 4 times longer delays, does not mean it does though, they most likely use it just because it is a low power part suitable for a stomp box. The over all topology is similar, main difference is the DC-2 has a compander to help keep the noise down.

Nothing jumps out at me as being different in a way that would affect their sound, Juno would just be 2 modes and noisy, which it was. I suspect they would be similar in sound. The big question here is if two of the presets are the Juno presets. not up to doing math right now, perhaps another time.

The Juno is almost spot on to Roland's Dimension D, just minus the circuitry for interfacing with studio gear and two extra modes. They do use different BBD, but still same family. Seeing that the Dimension C is just the Dimension D stuffed in a stomp box, suspect you will be quite close.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 am

oid wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:51 am
Curiosity got me and I dug out the schematics. They are somewhat different, the Dimension C uses a 1024 stage BBD and the Juno uses a 256 stage, so the dimension C can get 4 times longer delays, does not mean it does though, they most likely use it just because it is a low power part suitable for a stomp box. The over all topology is similar, main difference is the DC-2 has a compander to help keep the noise down.

Nothing jumps out at me as being different in a way that would affect their sound, Juno would just be 2 modes and noisy, which it was. I suspect they would be similar in sound. The big question here is if two of the presets are the Juno presets. not up to doing math right now, perhaps another time.

The Juno is almost spot on to Roland's Dimension D, just minus the circuitry for interfacing with studio gear and two extra modes. They do use different BBD, but still same family. Seeing that the Dimension C is just the Dimension D stuffed in a stomp box, suspect you will be quite close.
That's very interesting... Almost makes me want to consider getting one of the new Dimension C pedals and trying to house it in Eurorack just because I could. Also because of what we were talking about through PM ;)

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:49 pm
The DC2w supposedly allows you to select two buttons at once in the special mode.
so it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9NO1-D ... e=youtu.be
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:50 am
Definitely agree that it's pretty versatile. I had a Keeley-modded one with the "Twilight Zone" mods and it sounded pretty good. Kinda wish that I'd kept it, but oh well.

I would LOVE to see a Waza Slow Gear. Octave would be epic too, especially if they made a new OC-2. Didn't they already do a Waza TR-2 tremolo?
If you're interested in something other than a Boss Waza version of the Slow Gear, VFE did a version that's called the Bumblebee - slow gear + compressor, with a balance knob that sweeps between the 2. They're not made anymore, but are for sale on Reverb from time to time. I have one.

No idea what the price comparison would be compared to a Waza, if it comes out, but VFE made (and still makes some stuff from time to time) very quality, very versatile pedals.

Just a suggestion for an option, if you're interested.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:55 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm
If you're interested in something other than a Boss Waza version of the Slow Gear, VFE did a version that's called the Bumblebee - slow gear + compressor, with a balance knob that sweeps between the 2. They're not made anymore, but are for sale on Reverb from time to time. I have one.

No idea what the price comparison would be compared to a Waza, if it comes out, but VFE made (and still makes some stuff from time to time) very quality, very versatile pedals.

Just a suggestion for an option, if you're interested.
I've had my eye on a VFE Bumblebee for awhile. I've actually been chatting with Peter about it, and he said he might bring it back at some point for his new VFE line. My big thing with VFE is I can't stand side Jack's. His new ones are all top jacks. Plus his new graphic styles are cooler. I'm just waiting for now.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:58 am

Yeah, that's a pain, but I have so many pedals from before that really became a thing, and some newer ones that are just designed with side jacks, that I just live with it. Hell, even Peter's brand new Klein Bottle comes with side jacks for the overall in & out, but it's such a great pedal.

Didn't realize that he would be bringing things back besides the KB and the handful that he does now through his school (which is an awesome thing), and now that he's had his 2nd child, I'm sure he's really busy.

I've never played a Boss Slow Gear, but the BB seems very versatile, for what it is. You seem to have to give it enough time to "reset" between phrases to start the swell effectively again, especially depending on the setting (slow/med/fast), but it's pretty fun to play with when you get the swing of it. I don't really use it a whole lot, but It's the first pedal of his that I bought, and I can't let it go. Or any of his other ones that I've bought, except for a Mermaid I'm selling because I have Merman pedals, and need to let that one go.

I hope you enjoy whichever one you end up deciding to go with, assuming Boss does put out a Waza, but I would think that they kind of need to, if they want to keep a bigger corner of the market for their new stuff.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:50 am

I have three of the Waza pedals: the DM2w, the VB2w, and the TU3w.

They are all fucking awesome. They are also the only Boss pedals I have ever loved. I had bought a ton of them 20+ years ago, would try them out, and then realize that I liked my guitar sound better when they were not in the chain.

This was right around when everyone started picking up the FullDrive2s and true-bypass was becoming a big thing.

I have been unable to confirm this, but I would bet money that the buffers in the new pedals are much improved. Now I think, depending on their placement, the buffers improve my sound, with certain caveats, like my DM-2w's buffer sounds different than the VB2w or the tuner. Could be parts tolerance, but it seems to be very different than either the tuner or the vibrato.

Finally Boss makes a tuner that isn't microphonic (I had at one point THREE Boss tuners, each would ring like a microphonic tube when you tapped them) and doesn't dull your tone. The fancy, super bright LEDS are a real pain in the ass, though- the LED in the center is so bright you can barely see the LEDS on either side. Seems like an unforced error on Boss' part.

A very wise friend of mine told me Boss' buffer design was, IIRC made so that they didn't have to be so precise with the parts tolerance. I didn't fully understand, and any errors are definitely my fault. Makes me wonder if they just just got anal about parts tolerance?

I dunno. I have one old boss pedal, a DD2, and I love the damned echos on it, but I have to use it in an effects loop, because the buffer really gets on my nerves. I'd be pretty psyched to find out I could replace a couple of poorly matched transistors with better matched ones, and have it sound as good with as the Wazas. And if they reissue the DD2, you know I am all over it like stink on poo.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 pm

well if there was ever a place for me to post this, it will be hear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Rwcg3nKxE
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'