Everyone needs a stompbox.
Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Reverb pedal for Synths

Post by Kihtaristi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:09 pm
Anyone have strong feelings about what is the best type or a specific non-rack reverb for synth purposes?
My wife uses Strymon BlySky.. Plenty of sounds and great tones if the price is not the problem

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:12 am

TC Hall of Fame user here as well. Very useful with its stereo ins and outs as well.

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:46 am

I love the Boss Tera Echo and the Caroline Meteore for both guitar and synths.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:16 pm

savantjk wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 pm
Meris Mercury7 been getting lots of love lately. I have one and am a fan. Their entire line has been getting rave reviews. I'd gladly purchase from them again.
Yes it has, I haven't tried the Mercury 7 but it seems very nice. I have the Polymoon and the Ottobit Jr., and love them both. They're expensive, but they are so nice and so expansive, there's so much potential packed into each of them.

One big thing to keep in mind with the Meris pedals, (don't know about any of the other brands), is that the Meris pedals are specifically designed to work with keyboards, it's a main setting at startup.

I think the Meris guys came from Strymon, so those may be kind of a close matchup, but I know that the Meris pedals have a keyboard level in setting on startup.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:13 am

I’m still looking at reverbs and really considering HOF or Mercury 7. Has anyone had experience with Source Audio Ventris?

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 am

Snagged a HOF v1 for $85 shipped. Good recommendations here and demos I found where synth was used convinced me that the sound was going to be plenty good for me (at least for now). I’m probably a set and forget guy when it comes to verb, I’m not really into massive ambient or modulated reverbs. I’ll probably never even use the tone print feature, so something more complicated felt like a waste. Thanks

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:32 pm

That's what I've been using for synths and I think it sounds fantastic and very ambient without getting in the way of the overall sound. I think you'll dig it. I use it in the Church setting, mostly, but the Mod and Hall settings are pretty great too!

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 am

I have had good luck with my Boss Tera Echo. It can be subtle or hallucinagenic.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 am
Snagged a HOF v1 for $85 shipped. Good recommendations here and demos I found where synth was used convinced me that the sound was going to be plenty good for me (at least for now). I’m probably a set and forget guy when it comes to verb, I’m not really into massive ambient or modulated reverbs. I’ll probably never even use the tone print feature, so something more complicated felt like a waste. Thanks
That seems like a really good deal. So how's the HOF working out for you in that situation?
-David

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:50 pm

I like it a lot. A couple things I’ve noticed: audible click when I engage other pedals that is ONLY audible when HOF is on...I don’t get it. Also, HOF is almost like a freeze pedal when the decay is way up. I agree with a review of it I read that says most of the presets sound the same or similar. I like hall, plate, church, and tile so it’s defi all I was hoping. The spring cannot really compare with the real thing on my SFPR, but I was pretty much only going to use it for synth and bass, so I’m going to use spring on guitar and I don’t really care about spring that much in pedal form.

The sound is great for the price. I’m sure if I got the M7 I’d be in love with the sound, but for now this was just meant to fill something missing with dry synthesizer. I don’t have any other reverb pedals to compare it to, since this is my first, but it beats the hell out of the built in reverb on my kawaii electric piano

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:31 am

That's cool, it's nice when something not so expensive works out well, especially for a kind of side thing, for bass & keyboards.

There are so many different types of reverb out there now, it's really hard to choose sometimes. I guess that's kind of true with every effect now, which isn't a bad thing, except for wanting to buy so much.

It seems weird that the HOF would pick up or amplify that sound of the other pedals engaging that isn't there (or is inaudible) otherwise. No idea why that would be happening, unless the noise is getting picked up through the power supply chain (?). I think that turning the decay way up just does that on some reverbs, sort of like the repeats/feedback on delays. I don't really know a lot about the HoF, although I think there's a patch or 2 based on it in the Zoom MS 70 CDR. I do have TC's Nova Reverb, and it's pretty cool but it's pretty straight forward, really. I haven't checked to see if it would "wash" or freeze like the HoF on high settings.

Not that I've really tried a lot out, but on the ones I own, I don't find that a lot of digital reverb pedals do a very good version of spring. There are probably some that do, I'd think where spring is the main focus or selling point of the pedal, something like maybe the Keeley Hooke and others, but I tend towards plates and more out-there stuff with reverb anyway.

Smart idea to go with something that worked really well for cheap. Hope you enjoy it.
-David

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 am

I've never noticed the audible clicking either. Maybe some kind of static charge or dirty power?

The HOF is currently my favourite reverb I've used with synths. I even had an Eventide Space for a second and I didn't like it as much.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:09 am

I don’t know about the clicking, but it was plugged into voodoo labs pp2+ where another pedal had been previously and there was no clicks from any pedals before. It doesn’t bother me, and even if I played out I’d just attribute it to noise that’s part of the show, like fingers on string noise on acoustic

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 am

StevenO wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 am
I've never noticed the audible clicking either. Maybe some kind of static charge or dirty power?

The HOF is currently my favourite reverb I've used with synths. I even had an Eventide Space for a second and I didn't like it as much.
I think I may have noticed that kind of thing happen with my RM-1N when I turn some other pedals on, but it also has a "heartbeat" that's just part if its charm, so I really wouldn't care or maybe even notice much. And right now it's in one of my bass chains. The pedals on my guitar pedalboards are hooked up to controllers, and I think the main noise or change would just be the change from the pedals's different sounds being activated/deactivated. My bass pedals are just hooked up in chains on a table in front of the amps, so I'd think I'd get more direct noise through those. I'll have to try to pay attention next time.

I haven't played any of the Strymons or Eventides, but I've heard and read a lot that while they can be very cool & capable of a lot of variations, they can also be pretty sterile sounding. I would think that you can overcome at least some of that with a guitar, other effects and a guitar amp, but probably less so with a keyboard.
Singlebladepickup wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:09 am
I don’t know about the clicking, but it was plugged into voodoo labs pp2+ where another pedal had been previously and there was no clicks from any pedals before. It doesn’t bother me, and even if I played out I’d just attribute it to noise that’s part of the show, like fingers on string noise on acoustic
I use 2 VL pp2+s with my guitar pedalboards, they're pretty clean and isolated to me. Sometimes it doesn't have enough mA's for a lot of high demand pedals, but other than that, it's been great. Doesn't seem like that should be the problem. Hopefully you don't have a defective pedal, but you do have a really good attitude about it all, so that's cool!
-David

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:58 pm

To be honest, I kind of like it. It’s a pop and then a splash of reverb, kind of like kicking a spring tank.