i think i'm over the whole micro pedal thing

Everyone needs a stompbox.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

i think i'm over the whole micro pedal thing

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:14 am

so for ages, i ran a mahoosive board. couldent even fit it in the boot of my car. so i decided to pair it back to the basics of my sound and made a board that could fit in a case i had. the biggest pedal on the board was my vintage time machine but every other pedal (minus the volume pedal) was quite small. i had 4 mooer sized pedals on the board and while cool, they always felt kinda akward (damn my wide feet) but lately. ive been going off the idea and thinking of replacing the micro pedals on my board with full sized pedals that i know do the exact sounds i want rather than "close enough" has anyone else went off the mooer sized pedals or just me?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: i think i'm over the whole micro pedal thing

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:54 am

I had one or two and never really got totally into them, but I'm definitely totally over them.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:57 am

I love my polytune mini, which I think is mooer-sized. I was intrigued by mooer's black secret, since I've never owned a rat, but I also worried it might be something I settled on as "close enough".

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:31 am

For me micro form factor and exactly the right sound are not mutually exclusive.

First examples that pop to mind:
Zvex Channel 2 and Fuzzolo
JHS Prestige
Fairfield Circuitry Modele B and Accountant
Wampler Tumnus
pretty much every one of the Malekko Omicron series
And on... and on... and on...

Micro utility pedals like buffers, tuners, switchers, loopers etc. are a really great thing to have around too. You can always leave space around them if you've got problems hitting their switches.

Just my contrarian .02 though, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone they should use them if they don't work for them ;) :D
Last edited by Sid Nitzerglobin on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:16 am

My Malekko trem doesn’t want to stay stuck down to the board. It’s annoying.

It does the job and fits where I need it to fit though, so I guess it’s staying.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 am

I never liked them. I'm absolutely into big sized pedals. The bigger, the better. That's why my last two pedal purchases were mini pedals in mooer format: I couldn't fit standard sized pedals on the board anymore because of all the big enclousures. The minis look totally silly in between all the big ones.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 am

Sid makes a good point about there being some great originals in that form-factor - but right or wrong; they've registered in my mind as approximations, so I tend to knee-jerk and overlook them. That said... I'm okay with the size as accessory or utility. And I'd definitely consider something like a Pitchblack mini, in order to save space for something I'd consider to be a little farther up the rungs...
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 pm

I thought about a mini practice/jam board with a Fuzzolo, mini-Ibanez Tube Screamer and AD-9 style delay, a tuner and maybe a mini-Electric Mistress or Phase 90 clone for modulation, but I never did. It seems like some of that format targets a compact layout like that on one side and the other is players trying to fit 25-30 on their board. I decided my board is portable enough with 8 pedals and an expression or I can fill my bad with a Wah, a Rat and my Memory Man for a jam and those 3 pedals are enough.

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raindog13 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm

For years and years I said "bah fuck pedals, I don't need that bullshit. If I can't make the sound with a guitar and an amp, I don't need it." However, the years have gone on, I've learned to appreciate Kyuss and "Loveless," and I've seen that there is a lot of creative landscape to be opened, essentially, at the push of a button. All that being said, I've found that most of the sounds I wish to conjure out of my guitars can be summoned via a simple ole Boss stompbox. Perhaps my ears just aren't cultured to the boutique level, or maybe I just don't give enough of a fuck, but more often than not, they make a damn fine effects pedal. So I don't usually find myself too worried about space with my arrangement.
This is not to say that I don't use other pedals, because I sure do, and I love them. And I'm not saying you're a turd if you use those other brands, or boutiques, or whatever. Its just my two pennies on my approach to things, I guess. I mean really, just shut up and play yer guitar, right?

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 pm

In the end the important thing is that it works for you and what you're going for ;)

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Mini pedals just aren't ergonomic for me. As others have said, they are difficult to keep pinned down on the board

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 pm

raindog13 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm
I've found that most of the sounds I wish to conjure out of my guitars can be summoned via a simple ole Boss stompbox. Perhaps my ears just aren't cultured to the boutique level....
On one hand it's great that there are lots of small companies turning out interesting pedals out there, but so many of them are very slight variations on about three classic fuzz circuits and one classic overdrive that never went out of production, that it can be hard to justify their asking prices.

The Roland Corporation's pedals pretty much got it right first time in terms of price, utility and form. No-one should feel like their Boss pedals are a poor relation.

As for the wee ones, the only one I have is a Catalinbread Repeat Percussion clone. I don't have a board as I never play electric gigs, but, based on how awkward I've found accessing the switches on the last Boss-sized pedal I bought (Behringer Flanger Machine), I think those tiny pots most of them have would drive me to distraction, never mind the velcro not sticking.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:26 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm
Mini pedals just aren't ergonomic for me. As others have said, they are difficult to keep pinned down on the board
it's not just that issue, its stepping on 2 or 3 at a time i have issue with. also adjustment on the fly is tricky when the board is 6ft away from you and you have the tiny knobs which you cant even see
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 pm

The Roland Corporation's pedals pretty much got it right first time in terms of price, utility and form. No-one should feel like their Boss pedals are a poor relation.
When I was a potless teenager suddenly booted out the family nest BOSS pedals pretty much represented the ultimate in modernist aspiration. I had bashed up EHX pedals, Copicats, fuzzes and the like I bought in flea markets that I found literally and metaphorically stank of patchouli and bellbottoms and I longed for a full and neat BOSS setup. i had fucking no chance of affording BOSS pedals or anything even remotely contemporary until I was going on 20, since all my money went on records and housing but I spent some time pouring over the catalogues and imaging my set up.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

offsets4life
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsets4life » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 pm

I don't want to have to stop to think about pointing my not overly large toes to hit that pedal in the middle of a nest of six others....

etc. Deleted.
Last edited by offsets4life on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.