just made the switch to solderless patch cables

Everyone needs a stompbox.
my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

just made the switch to solderless patch cables

Post by my bloody television » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:17 am

I had my pedalboard wired up with an assortment of patch cables for the longest time...anything from $1 specials to mogami...and recently a couple cables were starting to crap out so I decided to finally take the plunge and try out solderless cables. I settled on the Evidence Audio Monorail SIS and couldn't be happier. They were definitely not cheap but the good reviews were promising and I wanted something that would last.

I'm generally pretty good at putting things together and was confident that these cables wouldn't be too much trouble to put together but I definitely flubbed my first couple cuts ha. Once I got the hang of it it was super simple though. I was looking forward to having a cleaner board and solid working cables but what I wasn't prepared for was the noticeable difference in tone overall. Everything sounds so much clearer now and it feels like the EQ on my amps functions much more like it would when I just plug straight in. I'm super happy with them and would highly recommend if you've thought about trying the solderless route.

here's the board wired up fresh:

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: just made the switch to solderless patch cables

Post by leokula » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:52 am

my bloody television wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:17 am
Everything sounds so much clearer now and it feels like the EQ on my amps functions much more like it would when I just plug straight in.
Dude, you must have been using some real crap cables for it to make such a tonal difference to the point that the amp EQ is working better. I got some cheap ones and I get no difference at all from when plug the guitar straight.

I always look at these solderless cables and wanna put them, but I'm afraid I'll mess up cutting them lol might still try one day tho!
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 am

ha yeah, there was one cable toward the end of the chain that was definitely causing some issues but I didn't realize quite how bad until I wired these up.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:46 am

I use these cables too, really great...I like them more than my old George Ls :)
Resident Spartan.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm

zhivago wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:46 am
I use these cables too, really great...I like them more than my old George Ls :)
Same here! I've been using the Evidence Audio SIS for awhile and I love them! They can be a bit tricky to cut and get the right length, but not too bad. If you're going from side jack to side jack or top jack to top jack it's not a problem, but going from top to side or vice versa can be tricky indeed.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384