Amplifire 3 ground noise

Everyone needs a stompbox.
redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Amplifire 3 ground noise

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:40 pm

ust bought an Amplifire 3 and I am having a grounding issue. The pedal hums like crazy. I tried it with different guitars, different power outlets, different cables, different power supplies, direct to the wall, into a power conditioner then into the wall, with headphones, 1/4” out and xlr out to a powered speaker...all produced ground hum.

Today I tried to lift the ground with my Radial ABY and that worked but it also killed the high end of my signal. I also tried to plug it into my computer with the USB cable but they did nothing...except when I held the other end of the usb cable in my hand. Then the hum went away. So I tucked that end into my sock next to my leg and I could play hum free. That’s great for home recording but that wouldn’t fly for trying to use this thing live. Is there a solution to this problem? It’s the only such device in the house that hums like this. We have an AX8 and a Pod that doesn’t hum. Amps, pedals, pedalboards, etc. Just the Amplifire.

I haven’t tried it with a voodoo lab pedal power yet. I have one but don’t have the splitter that allows for enough power to power it. Seems weird to need a $150 power supply to run a $600 pedal. Anyone got a suggestion, other than send it back?