Help me decide on a Delay! (Capistan, Timefactor, or DL4)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
ClipArtSongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help me decide on a Delay! (Capistan, Timefactor, or DL4)

Post by ClipArtSongs » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:43 pm

I want two sounds on my board at all times: spacey warm tape delay and a great slapback. I don't need them at the same time.

I currently have an EH Memory Toy and a TC Electronic Flashback. The EH pedal actually sounds better for both of the sounds, but it doesn't have space for a preset and like most EH stuff I've owned it's starting to act weird because of build quality issues. The Flashback's subdivision and blend controls are great and it has tap tempo, but it takes the 60 cycle hum and turns it into a weird haze that colors the tone at all times. Weak sauce.

I'd like to ditch both pedals and get a single pedal to cover all my needs and maybe fill a few more
  • Great med-long and slapback tape delay
  • Has at least one preset available so two settings are available at a time
  • Tap Tempo
  • Looping a plus, but not absolutely required

The Strymon El Capistan totally nails the sounds I love, and with a Favorite pedal (probably home-made) can give me a preset. Kind of expensive, but not ludicrous when purchased used. Does not have looping ability.

People seem to like the Eventide Time Factor, but I have no personal experience and can't vouch for the Tape Delay. Also, they're even more pricey than the Strymon (obviously a different and much broader tool). Anyone have opinions on this one?

The last one I'm thinking of is the classic Line 6 DL4. Not familiar with it's Tape setting, but if it's good enough for a million great artists, it's probably good enough for me. More affordable than the Strymon, has tap and presets, and looping. Downside– it's gigantic, may sound more digital than the Strymon, and I've heard the build quality is pretty bad.

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges. I basically like a couple of specific sounds, tap tempo,and having a preset. Just don't feel like there are may pedals that do all that while keeping pretty simple controls.

Thoughts? Other brands/models I should consider?
www.clipartsongs.bandcamp.com

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Help me decide on a Delay! (Capistan, Timefactor, or DL4)

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I have a Time Factor and El Capistan. The Time Factor would be overkill for what you want. Similar pedals from Meris and Source Audio would be as well, in my opinion.

I think the El Capistan is exactly what you want. The favorite switch isn't even necessary if the two presets aren't markedly different. For example, I use it for a tape slapback and longer delay. I use the single head Echoplex function and use tap tempo to change the delay time. All other functions stay the same. I also like the multi-head setting. I could use a favorite switch and change a bunch of functions at once, or add the spring reverb to make it more Space Echo like, but I use a separate reverb pedal for that and keep the other settings the same, so that all I have to do is flip the switch from single to multi and maybe dial up the feedback a little, then use tap tempo to set the time. That gives me 3-4 useful settings without a lot of knob twisting.

While it doesn't have a dedicated looping function, the Sound on Sound setting does a better job of it than my Roland Chorus Echo ever did. Frippertronics isn't precise!

I have a favorite switch, but don't feel I need it most of the time because I also have the Time Factor. Also I can use the run-a-way feedback momentary switch if I want oscillations which is nice every now and again.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:15 am

It's too bad that Stymon doesn't offer two versions of the El Capistan (or at least a programming option) when you could have the favorite switch instead of tap tempo. When I had my Blue Sky, it's two switches were bypass and favorite. I had one setting as favorite/preset, and the other setting I liked was where the knobs were (just bypass on). I know you want the tap tempo, but it would be so cool to be able to program that.

I definitely agree that the Time Factor is overkill for what you're wanting.

Just want to say too that I had a DL4 and the build quality wasn't bad at all. I never had an issue with it, switches were ok, chassis was beefy as hell. It might be what you're looking for if you can handle the size. Also, I know I've seen mods for the DL4's where you can add a second bank of 4 switches, for more presets or something else. Might be worth looking into if you're considering it.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Acoasma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acoasma » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:44 am

Try to look at supa trem 2 by fulltone.

ClipArtSongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ClipArtSongs » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:07 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:08 pm
I have a Time Factor and El Capistan. The Time Factor would be overkill for what you want. Similar pedals from Meris and Source Audio would be as well, in my opinion.

I think the El Capistan is exactly what you want. The favorite switch isn't even necessary if the two presets aren't markedly different.
Thanks. Obviously that's what I wanted to hear, but you also sort of nailed the things I think I would like about that pedal. Interested to read about the sound on sound thing.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:15 am
Just want to say too that I had a DL4 and the build quality wasn't bad at all. I never had an issue with it, switches were ok, chassis was beefy as hell. It might be what you're looking for if you can handle the size.
Interesting. It is a LOT cheaper. How does the tape delay sound?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:30 pm

ClipArtSongs wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:07 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:15 am
Just want to say too that I had a DL4 and the build quality wasn't bad at all. I never had an issue with it, switches were ok, chassis was beefy as hell. It might be what you're looking for if you can handle the size.
Interesting. It is a LOT cheaper. How does the tape delay sound?
It's been a few years, and I honestly don't remember. I was very early in my tone chasing, but I remember liking almost all the sounds. Most guitar shops I know have one or a used one occasionally. Might want to try one out if you can.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm eventually going to cave and get a Timefactor. It is a lot of money, and overkill, but it is the best delay on the market IMHO

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:20 pm

I really like my El Cap and use it for two similar things (slapback and longer spacey echo) with the favorite switch. I didnt want to go that route for a long time due to the price, but it has definitely been worth it so far. I'd just make sure you like the basic tape sound/vibe though, I can't really get mine to do the warm analog BBD thing for slapback (which is fine).

Never played a Timeline, but I always hadn't problems with my DL4s in the past. The sound quality was good (I liked most of the modes), but I had the switches crap out on me on two different units. There's a couple people out there who mod them and replace them with more robust switches that i imagine work pretty well (there was someone named 'drasp' doing this on a forum, can't remember if it was here), so you may be able to find one of those. I remember seeing them go for near used El Cap prices though.

ClipArtSongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ClipArtSongs » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks, everyone. Your input was really helpful.

I pulled the trigger on a used Cap. Very excited.

Now I just need to sell my Memory Toy (once I make sure the jacks are solid), the TC Electronic, and my old TR-2.

It's the first law of gear purchasing Thermodynamics for non-professionals.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:17 am

I've got an El Capistan and a Line 6 Echo Park on my board. I like how the El Capistan sounds, but in all honesty, it's got too many switches and I've never fully wrapped my head around them. I've pretty much found one type of sound and just leave it set for that. And unlike just about everything else on my board, it needs more power than your usual Boss type device and my current power supply can't handle it. So there's one more friggin adapter. My Echo Park's been kicking for over a decade and is easier to use on the fly, and has more sound options. As it now stands I use the El Capistan for a dotted eight note really wet delay, and use the reverse or slap back tape delay on the Echo Park. Never expected to have two delays on the board, but that's how it ended up.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:10 am

El Cap is a great pedal, and it should be able to deliver the sounds you need; I think you made a fine choice.

I have tried Eventide pedals, and I never got along with the interface. I know plenty of people have no issues, but we all have to go with what ‘works’ for us. While the El Cap does have a number of knobs and switches, it’s not too hard to dial in.

In the “Great Effects Wars” battle of the 2010s, certain pedal people decided that Eventide and Strymon were adversaries, and they would take pot shots at each other about which one sounded more ‘sterile.’ ::) ::) ::)

The great thing about pedals these days is that if you don’t like the El Cap, you can sell it on to try something else and whatever money you may ‘lose’ will be made up with knowledge and experience. 8)

[Whatever it was supposed to be about, U2’s song “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” is actually about the Edge chasing effects pedals sounds. :ph34r: ]

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Think about a Line 6 M5. It'll do what you're asking for for cheap.

Plus other, silly, fun stuff that you can treat as a bonus.
a total idiot jackass

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:01 am

I use the El Capistan for this exact application. I keep a slapback echo up top and toggle between it and a long, spacy, reverbed setting on the favorite switch. I have an Echo Park, a Keeley Mag Echo, and a Belle Epoch I use for recording sometimes or on the practice board. I’d LOVE to have the sound of the Belle Epoch with the functionality of the El Cap. I am also curious of the Empress Tape too since it can toggle presets (I rarely use tap tempo).

ClipArtSongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ClipArtSongs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 am

The Cap arrives today!
redchapterjubilee wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:01 am
I’d LOVE to have the sound of the Belle Epoch with the functionality of the El Cap.
Do you think the Belle sounds better overall, or just has some sounds the Cap doesnt?

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 am

ClipArtSongs wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 am
Do you think the Belle sounds better overall, or just has some sounds the Cap doesnt?
I hesitate to say one sounds better than the other but I find the BE to be more distinct when it has a higher feedback setting. It warbles and oscillates in a more characterful way. Awhile back my band was in a studio that had a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. We used it a lot. One thing we were surprised about was that when set static the TTE and El Cap sounded ALOT like each other. It was only when we started to mess with the TTE in real time that the differences were more obvious. The Belle Epoch has a stronger character than the El Cap when you start twisting knobs. That said, the BE is very responsive to its settings and it’s easy for me and my clumsiness to hit a pot with my foot and mess things up. The functionality of the Strymon pedals is hard to top. I had so hoped the deluxe Belle Epoch would have copied more of that from Strymon but it doesn’t.