Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin
Posts: 12459
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boots.

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:09 am

I clicked this thread genuinely expecting to find something like this (even though I've apparently already posted here before):

Image :fp:

Monday morning, eh?

User avatar
Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:17 am
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by Vinkie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:42 am

:D I love to give my sound a little kick with a clean boot. Sometimes a sneaker just won't cut it.

User avatar
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 am
Location: fROMOHIO

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:52 am

Of late, I'm really liking the solidgoldfx BC108 and BC183 I picked up a few weeks ago. They seem to paradoxically provide very nice and distinct tone shaping options and breakup enhancement while not stepping on the character of the guitar or amp too overtly.

I'd love to grab one of each of the 5 or 6 one knob boosts they've made based on the demos, they all seem like they'd provide really useful options for subtle but at the same time really transformational boost.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2304
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:52 am
Of late, I'm really liking the solidgoldfx BC108 and BC183 I picked up a few weeks ago. They seem to paradoxically provide very nice and distinct tone shaping options and breakup enhancement while not stepping on the character of the guitar or amp too overtly.

I'd love to grab one of each of the 5 or 6 one knob boosts they've made based on the demos, they all seem like they'd provide really useful options for subtle but at the same time really transformational boost.
Yeah. It would be fun to have a few more to swap around.

Definitely a rabbit hole though.

User avatar
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 am
Location: fROMOHIO

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:48 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:05 pm
Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:52 am
Of late, I'm really liking the solidgoldfx BC108 and BC183 I picked up a few weeks ago. They seem to paradoxically provide very nice and distinct tone shaping options and breakup enhancement while not stepping on the character of the guitar or amp too overtly.

I'd love to grab one of each of the 5 or 6 one knob boosts they've made based on the demos, they all seem like they'd provide really useful options for subtle but at the same time really transformational boost.
Yeah. It would be fun to have a few more to swap around.

Definitely a rabbit hole though.
Totally true, aside from being able to adjust amplitude, they basically are what they are and I'm finding there are some combos of amps/guitars/pedals that really love one or the other of them and a few that don't really like either of them. That being said either of them seem to have been awesome sounding w/ I'm guessing 60-75% of the combos I've tried them out w/ so far.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2304
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am

Anybody play with the BYOC Mosfet Boost? From what I understand it’s a SHO with variable gain, which sounds pretty awesome.

The main beef I have with my Pigtronix Class A boost is the damn switch noise though. I wish I understood this a little better, because I don’t want to replace it with anything else unless I know for a fact it won’t have this problem. The boost sits between two buffered pedals (TU-2 and AD-80) and usually the pop gets less annoying after a few clicks of the footswitch, but it’s always there.

User avatar
fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 am
Location: CoPenHagen

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by fortytwo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:46 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am
Anybody play with the BYOC Mosfet Boost? From what I understand it’s a SHO with variable gain, which sounds pretty awesome.
You could just get the Channel 2 from Zvex.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2304
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:17 am

fortytwo wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:46 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am
Anybody play with the BYOC Mosfet Boost? From what I understand it’s a SHO with variable gain, which sounds pretty awesome.
You could just get the Channel 2 from Zvex.
I ended up getting a HBE Uno Mos (two knob version) today. I guess what I wasn't expecting is it's kinda noisy at extreme settings. Buzz with the gain cranked and hiss with the volume cranked. The sweet spot sonically for me seems to be about 10 o'clock on both, and there it's pretty quiet.

It's a little toothier/more rawk sounding than my Class A Boost though, and the switch is quieter.

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 2931
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:50 am

Anybody play with the BYOC Mosfet Boost? From what I understand it’s a SHO with variable gain, which sounds pretty awesome.
I haven’t and I haven’t looked at the BYOC site in ages, but I think it’s actually based on the Frank (edit, it’s Jack) Orman MOSFET Boost, which, incidentally is where Zachary Vex got his whole idea of stacking MOSFET stages from. So, the SHO would actually be inspired by/loosely based on the MOSFET boost, not the other way around, as long as it doesn’t “crackle.”

Or, if you want to build a SHO clone and you don’t think “Crackle is OK,” then just find an Orman AMZ-MOSFET Boost schematic and build that instead!
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2304
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:50 am
Anybody play with the BYOC Mosfet Boost? From what I understand it’s a SHO with variable gain, which sounds pretty awesome.
I haven’t and I haven’t looked at the BYOC site in ages, but I think it’s actually based on the Frank Orman MOSFET Boost, which, incidentally is where Zachary Vex got his whole idea of stacking MOSFET stages from. So, the SHO would actually be inspired by/loosely based on the MOSFET boost, not the other way around, as long as it doesn’t “crackle.”

Or, if you want to build a SHO clone and you don’t think “Crackle is OK,” then just find a Frank Orman MOSFET Boost schematic and build that instead!
Interesting. I didn't know the whole story clearly. Crackle is fine with me.

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 2931
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:07 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 pm
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:50 am
Anybody play with the BYOC Mosfet Boost? From what I understand it’s a SHO with variable gain, which sounds pretty awesome.
I haven’t and I haven’t looked at the BYOC site in ages, but I think it’s actually based on the Frank Orman MOSFET Boost, which, incidentally is where Zachary Vex got his whole idea of stacking MOSFET stages from. So, the SHO would actually be inspired by/loosely based on the MOSFET boost, not the other way around, as long as it doesn’t “crackle.”

Or, if you want to build a SHO clone and you don’t think “Crackle is OK,” then just find a Frank Orman MOSFET Boost schematic and build that instead!
Interesting. I didn't know the whole story clearly. Crackle is fine with me.
I looked at the BYOC schematic and it is a SHO clone as it uses two 1n402 diodes where the Orman design uses a single zener diode, that and the biasing method is basically the only difference. It’s funny that rather then call it a SHO or Orman clone, they say it’s based on the same circuitry the SHO is based on, which is the Orman, Jack Orman though, not Frank like I posted earlier. The Catialinbread Super Chili Picoso is another AMZ MOSFET boost clone.

Post Reply