Everyone needs a stompbox.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:39 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:39 am
So I'm dumb and didn't see this thread... so I made a different thread about this... but I might as well post here too.

What's a good "clean" clean boost? I'm not going to use it to push my amp into overdrive, I just want extra volume when I need it.

Anyone have any experience with the Analogman Bad Bob Boost?
basically any 1 transistor boost pedal that let's you control the bias of the transistor.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:30 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
So I'm dumb and didn't see this thread... so I made a different thread about this... but I might as well post here too.

What's a good "clean" clean boost? I'm not going to use it to push my amp into overdrive, I just want extra volume when I need it.

No experience with that, but Analog Mike makes some nice stuff. I have a Beano that’s great.

I have an old Keeley Katana that’s very clean and works well. It has one knob for volume, and the knob can be pulled for a very little bit of added dirt, if you want.

Other boosts I have:
-Xotic EP boost - not exactly “clean”, but nice, and 1 knob

-JHS Colourbox - will do a very wide variety of sounds but it’s overkill for what you’re looking for (many knobs) and pretty expensive, but really nice

-Sleeping Dogs FX IVP - same story as the Colourbox
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:07 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:30 pm
adamrobertt wrote:

No experience with that, but Analog Mike makes some nice stuff. I have a Beano that’s great.

I have an old Keeley Katana that’s very clean and works well. It has one knob for volume, and the knob can be pulled for a very little bit of added dirt, if you want.

Other boosts I have:
-Xotic EP boost - not exactly “clean”, but nice, and 1 knob

-JHS Colourbox - will do a very wide variety of sounds but it’s overkill for what you’re looking for (many knobs) and pretty expensive, but really nice

-Sleeping Dogs FX IVP - same story as the Colourbox
As far as I'm aware the Bad Bob is actually a similar circuit to the Katana, and that the guy who created the circuit worked with Analog Mike to create the pedal.

Anyone ever use the Spaceman Atlas III? That one is intriguing me too.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:31 am

I would think they’re somewhat similar, AM & Robert Keeley have been doing this forever (in pedal years).

I think someone referenced 2 or 3 spaceman boosts upthread, IIRC.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:07 pm
As far as I'm aware the Bad Bob is actually a similar circuit to the Katana, and that the guy who created the circuit worked with Analog Mike to create the pedal.

I had the atlas iii. i actually wish I didn't sell it. I have too much spaceman crud (mercury iv, polaris, and Saturn Vi)

it was a lovely one knob boost. a bit on the dark side, which was great with jazzmaster and strat.

I forgot to order the soursound $100 boost, but honestly my 27v chargepump boost pedal is my favorite for grit-free, high-headroom volume.

I never really "got" boost or gain pedals until very recently. now I use several in my chain (especially with pedals like the meris enzo and fairfield shallow water, or an outboard fender reverb tank)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:18 pm

My V2 Hundred Dollar Boost finally arrived today. :ph34r:

Gotta figure out where it’s gonna go now.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:25 am

Finally took the Hundred Dollar Boost to practice and A/B-ed with my Creation MK 4.23. They are very similar animals. The HDB also has a silly amount of gain on tap. Both have an internal charge pump to boost the voltage they run on.

Despite the relay switching there is a tiny, tiny bit of switching-related noise on the HDB (compared to zero with the Creation). It might just be slightly flatter response in the low end that comes across as a mild thump when the pedal is kicked on.

The noise floor on the HDB is lower though. The Creation is a little fuller sounding in the low mids and the HDB has slightly more midrange bite. Both play very well with my other pedals. Teamed up with the Demeter Tremulator (with the depth at zero) hitting the amp the HDB has the same delightful kerrang as the Creation.

I play a few songs fingerstyle with the boost on, and the HDB did very well there. Everything stayed articulate and didn't get mushy. The switching is good too, with no apparent lag. The fact the the LED lights green when the pedal is off and goes red when on is helpful too. Easy to spot in the dark.

For... reasons I am going to reshuffle my second board and the Creation will be a better fit there due to the top jacks, so I'm considering using the HDB on my main board. It's really quite good, and in reality nobody is going to notice switching noise during a live set (even me) unless there's an audible click. In fact the way I tend to use a boost in this band I think most people would not notice I'm kicking on a pedal at all.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Curiosity got the best of me and a used one just popped up at a good price, so I have a V1 Suhr Koko Boost on the way. It's a side by side mid boost and clean boost.

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HH1978 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:00 pm

No experience with the Atlas III, but I love the Saturn V and the Mercury IV. I would expect the Atlas to be great.

The Saturn V is the pedal I would take on a desert island. It tightens the low end slightly, produces a beautiful midrange, and adds a nice sparkle to the top end. It can be used as a low gain overdrive when cranked, but it really shines as a boost. I think it sounds best toward the front of the chain. For me, It's ON 99% of the time.

The mercury IV is totally different, I wouldn't call it a 'clean boost', because it really colors the sound, which IMO makes it more a tone shaper/enhancer. It really shines at the end of the chain. I only give a very mild boost with it, but crank the harmonics and use the EQ switches to sweeten my tone. Mine is a clone i built, I should mention.

The way Spaceman label their pedal is usually significant. The Atlas III is a "preamp booster". It's probably meant to sound best last in the chain.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 am

No love for the bbe boosta grande? I ordered one recently to use on my bass board, trying to get a cleaner signal into my compressor from my bass that has a low output pickup. A bit of a different use for a clean boost I guess. :whistle:
If OSG has tort me anything...

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:33 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 am
No love for the bbe boosta grande? I ordered one recently to use on my bass board, trying to get a cleaner signal into my compressor from my bass that has a low output pickup. A bit of a different use for a clean boost I guess. :whistle:
I haven’t used that particular boost for that, but this is a good trick. Using a Pigtronix Class A Boost for that currently.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:37 pm

The V1 Koko Boost is here. My first impressions are very favorable. Seems solidly built, and the smart switching works really well. Some people might prefer to stack boosts, but in this setup the one-at-a-time thing is a plus for me. Less tap dancing and less stuff in the signal path.
Switching is allllmost dead quiet. Definitely good enough.

The clean boost is nice and transparent with just a touch of extra high end. I’m looking forward to trying it at 18V and at a less conservative volume.

The mid boost side’s sounds are all very usable. They definitely seem a bit tailored rather than just being a massive hump, but even at a modest volume I can tell it’s kicking the amp a bit, but without adding dirt of its own. Hopefully it will play nice after my Archer.
The new price for these is pretty absurd for what it does, but if you need both boosting jobs done and are looking used it makes more sense.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 pm

Anyone use/try a Boss FA-1/JHS Clover? A friend recently bought a Clover, and was telling me about it. Sounds like a nice circuit.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 pm
Anyone use/try a Boss FA-1/JHS Clover? A friend recently bought a Clover, and was telling me about it. Sounds like a nice circuit.
Definitely curious about this one, but have not tried.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:52 pm

If I like it, I might make one myself. I can't stand the idea of giving money to JHS.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384