Triple Titan by Reuss Musical Instruments build thread

Everyone needs a stompbox.
biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Triple Titan by Reuss Musical Instruments build thread

Post by biro » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:18 am

hey people,

is there someone amongst boutique pedal builders available to accept orders for fully spec’d custom pedals?
i’m looking for someone who does what, for example, curtis novak is doing with pickups (ie. i’ve got my own line of boutique pickups but if you need something special we can work it out for sure).

basically, i’m looking for:

- a dual overdrive

- with volume, treble, bass, gain 1 and gain 2 controls

- no switches for clipping and so on

- 9VDC battery powered (it should not eat a lot of power)

- jack sockets and power socket should be all installed on the side opposit to where i’m standing

- the battery should have its own easy access to be replaced (no screwdriver needed to open the whole box to change the battery)

why a boutique builder?
because i want it to be professionally built and for reselling reasons (you never know).

is there a pedal builder available to do that for me as far as you know?
Last edited by biro on Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom made boutique pedals

Post by sessylU » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:54 am

Made by Mike does a lot of that sort of stuff. He does it very well.
a total idiot jackass

biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by biro » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:33 am

thanks for your suggestion, but i know a few guys who work by themselves just like mike does around here.
i was looking more for boutique companies such as strymon, mad professor, earthquacker devices, jhs, paul cohrane and the likes to have a “name” on the pedal mainly for reselling reasons (otherwise it is going to be another handmade “clone” of something made by john doh that you will have to give away for pennies...).
does it exist? any suggestions?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 am

You're not really going to find a company that size that's going to build what you want for a reasonable price.

I suggest approaching a few that still do point to point or perf board that have a little bit of name recognition like Lamp Electric or Creepy Fingers and see if they can build what you want.

IMO being concerned with resale value for a custom pedal is pretty silly. Yes, your preferences may change to a point where it's no longer useful to you later, but why spend extra money now to account for that? Unless you get very lucky you're going to take a hit reselling it no matter what.

biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by biro » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:26 am

why does the size of a company matter?
fender is a pretty big company, but still (if you ask the custom shop), they can build pretty much whatever you want (and i didn’t say i need to go for a cheap route).

silly or not, i know for sure that if you take a piece of s*#t and you slap a brand name on top of it, you’ve got better chances to sell it compared to a piece of s*#t itself only.

i am going to spec out a pretty basic and simple pedal, so i’m sure a lot of people other than me would find it useful if i would decide to sell it.

i know myself and i know i can change my mind very fast, so the resell value is something i have to keep in consideration (where with resell value i also mean the real chance to sell the pedal at all, at any price).

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 am

Forum member elektrovac builds great pedals and his Reuss Musical Instruments company is well known for the Rowland S. Howard pedals. While I’m almost certain that he won’t build a custom pedal, you can maybe ask him for the right contacts?
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by biro » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am

higgsblossom wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 am
Forum member elektrovac builds great pedals and his Reuss Musical Instruments company is well known for the Rowland S. Howard pedals. While I’m almost certain that he won’t build a custom pedal, you can maybe ask him for the right contacts?
that’s a nice idea.
i will try to contact elektrovac and see what happens.
thank you!

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:46 am

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 am

biro wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am
higgsblossom wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 am
that’s a nice idea.
i will try to contact elektrovac and see what happens.
thank you!
Please do. We might be able to work someting out :)

I sometimes do custom work. I am always a bit hesitant about it, because I can't do a proper silk screen printed pedal - or even UV printed - as a one-off (there's a minimum quantity at the suppliers of these services), so it'll always look a bit DIY-ish compared to my standard pedal line.
Also, it does not make sense to invest the time of laying out (or manufacturing) a unique printed circuit board to make a one-off, so the pedal have to be based on a circuit which is available from a kit-supplier. This quickly makes a two-in-one pedal relatively large and puts a lot of limitations to the knobs and jacks layout possibilities.

Designing a new pedal is a job that I usually spend months on. It's an interesting challenge where the graphic design and electronic circuit design and the physical layout of knobs etc. have to come together as one unit, without putting compromise to any of the elements.
The time spent on a completely uniquely new design would make a custom one-off pedal crazy expensive. Like the price of minimum ten standard, off-the-shelf boutique pedals.

Having said all this, it might still happen. If I get inspired by your idea, I might want to layout a circuit board and use it for a small run of pedals. I did it recently with the .B.O.M.B. which was originally a custom job.
The customer got his pedal first with a personal, laser printed decal and electronics made on a kit-PCB. Then I did a run of twelve UV-printed pedals with a newly laid-out Reuss-PCB and a variation of the custom graphics design. My customer got one of these pedals too, and I am selling the rest as a limited edition. It's a way of doing it.

https://www.reusseffects.com/products/bomb

Custom, laser printed edition:

UV-printed limited edition commercial release:

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Super cool! 8)
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 pm

biro wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:26 am
i am going to spec out a pretty basic and simple pedal, so i’m sure a lot of people other than me would find it useful if i would decide to sell it.
It is pretty basic, there are dozens of dual overdrives out there from "brand name" companies so why not just buy one of those if you're that concerned about resale?

biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by biro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 pm

elektrovac wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 am
Please do. We might be able to work someting out :)
I will! thank you!
Grey wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 pm
It is pretty basic, there are dozens of dual overdrives out there from "brand name" companies so why not just buy one of those if you're that concerned about resale?
yes, i know.
but in a way or another all the pedals i've found as ready-made products always had something that bugged me. this of course fits into the first world problem cathegory, but i also know that i'm writing on a board where several pages could be filled in words while discussing on the color shade of a vintage tort guard, so...
that being said, if you can suggest a pedal that tics every box i would gladly check it out.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 am

Admittedly your battery requirements (and being easy to access) make this more difficult so I can't recommend anything to you from personal experience that would tick every box, but maybe check out the new "Pugilist" dual-drive that Fender just came out with. It's got tone/gain controls per channel without clipping options, but it has side jacks instead of top jacks.

Probably the "easiest to access" battery compartment in the world though.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... tion-pedal

There's also the Way Huge "Camel Toe" which does have top jacks and an easy access battery compartment.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/whe20 ... e=&from=fn

biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by biro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:42 am

thank you Grey for spending your time on this one.
i will take your suggestion in consideration while getting in touch with elektrovac.
ciao!

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am

EQD and Death by Audio if you really have to.