Eventide Space or Ventris Dual Reverb

Everyone needs a stompbox.
electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Eventide Space or Ventris Dual Reverb

Post by electric_nan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 am

I was almost about to pull the trigger on a second hand Space but have thrown a spanner in the works by coming across the newer Ventris Dual Reverb. I can find comparisons between it and the Strymon pedals, but nothing on the Space. The Strymon pedals never really did it for me, in comparison the Space (at least on youtube) I always thought they sounded more metallic and like the reverbs are almost a bit too separate from the raw sound.

Anyone had experience with the two?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Eventide Space or Ventris Dual Reverb

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 am

I like Source Audio products. I don't have the Ventris, but that is the reverb pedal that I would buy if I didn't already have the Eventide Space. I've thought about getting it anyway, but keep spending money on other things. This week it's new tires for the car!

I like the Space a lot. I got it to replace two rack reverb units that I used for a long time, a Yamaha SPX-900 and a Roland DEP-5. It did that very well. Most of my patches are based around Echoverb, Modverb, Blackhole and Hall. I use reverb mostly for ambient or backwards effects. The Spring and Plate settings are good enough for when I want to use them, but I almost never did on my old rack units, so I don't much on the Space either.

The Ventris; however, does excellent Spring reverb. The Plate and Room settings are nice too. If those were my main interests in using reverb, "real" sounds, I would chose the Ventris. It can do ambient tones as well, but I still think the Space does that better.

Both have plus and minuses for programming and live use. The Ventris has a smaller footprint and knob tweaking might be a little easier. I don't tweak parameters live except with an expression pedal, and since that is a Source Audio, it works with both!

Hotraman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hotraman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 am

I own the Ventris Dual Reverb and it has far exceeded my expectations.
Very easy to use when playing "live"
I have a dual reverb setting: E dome and mod / delay setting combined.
The pedal doesn't take up a lot of space on my pedalboard.
I own an Immerse Reverberator, too. But I'm thinking of selling it.
I've never played the Space, so I can't comment on it.

electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric_nan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Hotraman wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 am
Do you have a MIDI setup for the extra presets? I find this element a tad off putting, I'm not sure I like the idea of having to use extra equipment to gain more than 8 presets, the UI for editor also looks a bit rubbish.

electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric_nan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:10 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 am
The Ventris; however, does excellent Spring reverb. The Plate and Room settings are nice too. If those were my main interests in using reverb, "real" sounds, I would chose the Ventris. It can do ambient tones as well, but I still think the Space does that better.
I think this is where I'm split myself. For real reverbs the Ventris sounds fantastic, especially the spring, but for ambient the Space just sounds so much more 3D and warm , but of course without the direct comparison it's hard to be sure.

electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric_nan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 am

Opportunity to get a Space for £365. Worth it? It's crazy how much these have maintained there value after all these years

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:01 am

electric_nan wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 am
Opportunity to get a Space for £365. Worth it? It's crazy how much these have maintained there value after all these years
They do have a good reputation and they do still support the software through the H9, but that's more than I paid for an almost new one 3 years ago.

If I were buying today I would probably buy the Ventris. Smaller footprint, great sounds, easy interface. I don't think you have to use midi or the software controller/CMS if you don't want to. I don't with the Space. I use the Source Audio expression pedal to change parameters though. I have 8 presets that I use, and only 4 of them regularly. I have others stored, but changing parameters with the expression means I 'm not scrolling through presets mid-song, which is one of the few complaints I've seen about the Space. 8 presets can be more than enough used properly.

Also, since the Ventris has two reverb engines, you can combine them to get sounds similar to some of the more complex patches on the Space. It just takes a bit more work. Being able to EQ the patches on the Space helps make it sound warm instead of metallic, but you can make it sharp and industrial if you want. I don't know if Ventris has that feature?

Either one is just a tool. It's all about how you go about using it.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 am

I've had a Space for a few years. I find it blends very naturally once you tweak the presets a bit. Outside of the purposefully clanky effects I haven't found it to be metallic in character either. Most of the patches seem pretty organic and immersive sounding to me.

Personally I've found it to be accurately described as the Big Sky's brooding/dark twin. It's awfully easy to get lost in it and I've felt I'd need to go full MIDI controlled to really get the most out of it (same as the BigSky and Timeline). I think I ultimately get along better w/ the pedals that have one or 2 presets and a smaller subset of controls for playing w/ other humans so I've had mine on the block for $290 for a while as a result.

I haven't tried a Ventris.

electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric_nan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Went with the Ventris in the end. Found a good deal so it was the same price as a second hand Space. With the dual reverb the possibilities looks pretty endless so with enough tweaking I'm sure I'll be able to get just about any tone from it. If we don't jive then I can always return it for a Space eventually.

Looking forward to it, first pedal in years!

Hotraman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hotraman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:58 pm

electric_nan wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm
Hotraman wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 am
Do you have a MIDI setup for the extra presets? I find this element a tad off putting, I'm not sure I like the idea of having to use extra equipment to gain more than 8 presets, the UI for editor also looks a bit rubbish.
No I don't use Midi for the presets.
I use a Timeline - Keeley 30 ms - Immerse Reverberator - Dual Reveb. ( The Immerse is being used for a shimmer)
Source Audio is working on an interface.
But .. I am a set and go player: I engage the pedals and go for it.
I'm ok if I have to kneel down to tweak a pedal.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Wed May 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Looking forward to your "review" on the Ventris after you've had it for a while.

I have a bigsky and as of a few months ago a fender marine layer, which as it turns out is f-ing brilliant and ridiculously cheap for the sound.

I nearly dumped the strymon for an Empress, but stopped short about 3 weeks ago, knowing at some stage I'd want to use it.

PLease let us know how you go with the ventris, because dual channel reverb is 100% win.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.