Is this Roger Mayer Fuzz face Original? PNP T0-92 tranistors?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Is this Roger Mayer Fuzz face Original? PNP T0-92 tranistors?

Post by Guitarman555 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 am

Hey, I am thinking about buying this nice fuzz made by Roger Mayer. The seller states that it has PNP T0-92 transistors. Do you know those transistors? Are they germanium? I think the right ones should be Obel AC128.
Last edited by Guitarman555 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Is this Roger Mayer Fuzz face Original? PNP T0-92 tranistors?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:57 pm

I don't know that particular transistor, but the photo looks to be Silicon. The older blue one has Germanium. They should look like that and this one looks like plastic black case, which is Silicon. There are black glass Germanium transistors like the OC 42, but these aren't that.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:05 pm

So, TO-92 is not the type of transistor. It is the type of case the transistor is in and the pin out used. All the transistors in this class are silicon. None are rare. I guess the purple case is a little rare for Roger Mayer, but not really. Dude is full of shit asking $450.

http://www.interfacebus.com/semiconduct ... TO-92.html

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:14 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:05 pm
So, TO-92 is not the type of transistor. It is the type of case the transistor is in and the pin out used. All the transistors in this class are silicon. None are rare. I guess the purple case is a little rare for Roger Mayer, but not really. Dude is full of shit asking $450.

Hey, many thanks. I am wondering if the silicon transistor is really original to this fuzz. All the components on purple fuzz looks same as on the blue one. Even from inside it looks that somebody just put purple finish on the original blue, if you look carefully on picture from inside, I mean the edges. If it would be really original transistor to this fuzz, maybe it could be a good one even on silicon...I would do max 270us..

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:19 am

Guitarman555 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:14 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Hey, many thanks. I am wondering if the silicon transistor is really original to this fuzz. All the components on purple fuzz looks same as on the blue one. Even from inside it looks that somebody just put purple finish on the original blue, if you look carefully on picture from inside, I mean the edges. If it would be really original transistor to this fuzz, maybe it could be a good one even on silicon...I would do max 270us..
Do you think the silicon transistors are original to the purple fuzz?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:57 am

Yes, the Silicon transistors are probably original. While you can swap Germanium for Germanium and Silicon for Silicon, you can't swap Silicon for Germanium without altering the circuit. The Fuzz Face circuit is simple and only has a few parts, which is why a small change can make a big difference in sound. There are 3 resistors in the Silicon circuit that are different values from the Germanium in the blue fuzz, that is a pretty big difference for a Fuzz Face.

I can't say if the purple is original or not. Mayer did use purple on his Mongoose fuzz, but it is a lighter shade. Usually the blue were Germanium and Silicon would have been red. He did do custom colors occasionally.

There are several Classic Roger Mayer fuzz with Germanium transistors for sale at a third to half the price. I would go with one of them. There is a reason this hasn't sold in a year. He's asking double the true value of this pedal by trying to hide what the transistors really are, taking poor photos and pushing the "rare" color, which, as you noted, might not be original.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:09 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:57 am
Yes, the Silicon transistors are probably original. While you can swap Germanium for Germanium and Silicon for Silicon, you can't swap Silicon for Germanium without altering the circuit. The Fuzz Face circuit is simple and only has a few parts, which is why a small change can make a big difference in sound. There are 3 resistors in the Silicon circuit that are different values from the Germanium in the blue fuzz, that is a pretty big difference for a Fuzz Face.

I can't say if the purple is original or not. Mayer did use purple on his Mongoose fuzz, but it is a lighter shade. Usually the blue were Germanium and Silicon would have been red. He did do custom colors occasionally.

There are several Classic Roger Mayer fuzz with Germanium transistors for sale at a third to half the price. I would go with one of them. There is a reason this hasn't sold in a year. He's asking double the true value of this pedal by trying to hide what the transistors really are, taking poor photos and pushing the "rare" color, which, as you noted, might not be original.
Many thanks, mate! I will perhaps try this one only if agreed on 250us and reasonable shipping costs.
So in 1980's red ones from RM were silicon?

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am

I think I will perhaps take this one if he tells me what exact transistors those are. What do you think? Plus if we agree on 250plus reasonable shipping.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Well, he's used Silicon in a few Fuzz pedals, the red one is a Spitfire. There is also the orange Axis Fuzz, which is closer to a Fuzz Face, and the Mongoose, which is closer to a Rat and similar to the Spitfire in that it has an op amp and transistor hybrid. Then there is the Stone Fuzz, which is also a twist on the Fuzz Face. His Octavia is usually silver or white.

The Stone Fuzz is either dark silver or gold, but the Mongoose has been all sorts of colors, black, purple, yellow and maybe red. The blue seems to have always been Germanium and is currently Germanium.

It looks like the Rocket pedals were almost always Hammerite finished. This "deep purple" looks smooth and shiny. It has probably been repainted. I don't know what the transistors are, but probably something common like an 108/109 or 3904/3906.

$250 seems reasonable to me, but this guy is either being misleading, uninformed or outright lying. I certainly wouldn't pay $450, and no one else has either.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:47 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm
Well, he's used Silicon in a few Fuzz pedals, the red one is a Spitfire. There is also the orange Axis Fuzz, which is closer to a Fuzz Face, and the Mongoose, which is closer to a Rat and similar to the Spitfire in that it has an op amp and transistor hybrid. Then there is the Stone Fuzz, which is also a twist on the Fuzz Face. His Octavia is usually silver or white.

The Stone Fuzz is either dark silver or gold, but the Mongoose has been all sorts of colors, black, purple, yellow and maybe red. The blue seems to have always been Germanium and is currently Germanium.

It looks like the Rocket pedals were almost always Hammerite finished. This "deep purple" looks smooth and shiny. It has probably been repainted. I don't know what the transistors are, but probably something common like an 108/109 or 3904/3906.

$250 seems reasonable to me, but this guy is either being misleading, uninformed or outright lying. I certainly wouldn't pay $450, and no one else has either.
If it is repainted is not such a problem to me. The problem would be, if the transistors would nt be original...
What is for you reasonable price on analogman nkt 275? It is painful to see the prices like 600us and more on that. I ve been trying to get it for reasonable price for 2 last years and no chance..

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Guitarman555 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:47 pm
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm

If it is repainted is not such a problem to me. The problem would be, if the transistors would nt be original...
What is for you reasonable price on analogman nkt 275? It is painful to see the prices like 600us and more on that. I ve been trying to get it for reasonable price for 2 last years and no chance..
You seem to know lot about RM fuzzes. So in 80's in that US galaxy series there were apart from usual blue germanium RM fuzz faces also red ones as silicons galaxy series fuzz faces? I remember a time ago there was a galaxy red one, only one I saw, but unfortunately no inside picture. Now I am talking about the first wave of RM fuzz faces which was in 80'.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't know them that well. I have a 90s Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe for over 20 years and I've played bandmates Rocket pedals. Most of what I know was from doung research on Kevin Shields' fuzz pedals. He has used Roger Mayer since the early days.

I remember different colors from seeing them in guitar shops from time to time, but I always liked Tone Benders and Japanese Fuzz more than the Fuzz Face. I didn't care if it cleaned up or not.

As for the NKT275. The real NOS are getting very rare, so the cost goes up. Morgan Amps had one reasonably priced @ $200 a year or two ago. Maybe look for one of them? There are other boutique builders that sometimes have them. Acid Fuzz, Arcane Analog, Pig Dog, maybe Jimmy Behan? I like any of them over Analogman. Never liked that guy since the 90s. Some people don't like zVex, others Mike Fuller(tone) I don't like Analog Mike.

That said, any fuzz circuit is more dependent on the hfe range, etc, of the transistors than the actual transistor brand. AC128 were used extensively in vintage Fuzz Face and would be just fine in a modern clone.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:38 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:42 pm
I don't know them that well. I have a 90s Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe for over 20 years and I've played bandmates Rocket pedals. Most of what I know was from doung research on Kevin Shields' fuzz pedals. He has used Roger Mayer since the early days.

I remember different colors from seeing them in guitar shops from time to time, but I always liked Tone Benders and Japanese Fuzz more than the Fuzz Face. I didn't care if it cleaned up or not.

As for the NKT275. The real NOS are getting very rare, so the cost goes up. Morgan Amps had one reasonably priced @ $200 a year or two ago. Maybe look for one of them? There are other boutique builders that sometimes have them. Acid Fuzz, Arcane Analog, Pig Dog, maybe Jimmy Behan? I like any of them over Analogman. Never liked that guy since the 90s. Some people don't like zVex, others Mike Fuller(tone) I don't like Analog Mike.

That said, any fuzz circuit is more dependent on the hfe range, etc, of the transistors than the actual transistor brand. AC128 were used extensively in vintage Fuzz Face and would be just fine in a modern clone.
Hey, so the seller finally told me more about refinish: it is really refin on that blue original 80's fuzz face finish that I sent you. It was made at RM as a custom when it was brand new. On Tuesday hopefully he will tell me exact type of the silicon.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Hey, so seller says it is so it should be silicion KN3906 transistor with 1984 date code. I haven´t seen such a name of trannie... Do you know that?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Hey, so seller says it is so it should be silicion KN3906 transistor with 1984 date code. I haven´t seen such a name of trannie... Do you know that?
I think he means 2N3906. A common PNP Silicon transistor. Mayer used them in some of his Fuzz Face type pedals. Should be original. No worries there. Won't clean up as well as the NKT275 type though.